Now that You have played Alpha 19, What do you like or dislike?

Like:

New lighting is awesome. It looks incredible and runs better at the same time.

Stone age - love it. I do not want to be finding an AK D1. Period.

Food - Love it. I'm still only up to D4 or so but it's always on my mind to be sure and kill something during the day so I have dinner. It steers me to quest in a different direction every day to find fresh animals also.

New POI's and Zombies. Love em ofc, who wouldn't. :)

Dislike:

Combat music. As I feared, it's already close to making me want to turn off the rest of the music just to get rid of the combat music. It is not only very repetitive but it also serves as an unwanted warning that zombies are coming. If I don't see thew 5 zombies coming my way then I want my first clue to be blood splatters as one of them hits me. I DO NOT ant the music to warn me they are coming.

Candies - No thank you. I hate temp buffs. Period

On Screen Sprites - Urgh. Hate em. I'm not 12 and playing a kiddie game. Especially the digging circle. Seeing them on the compass was plenty. I do not want stuff onscreen in my direct view.

Overall I love A19. Fantastic progress and polish across so many areas of the game.

12 hours ago, Gazz said:

At this moment we can't have it both ways.

We would like to have certain POI "work" at a higher gamestage so that a shotgun messiah factory would maybe have +100GS and you could find the cool loot in it.

But then you'd have to survive getting there.

At this time it would just be a freebie where the awesome loot is defended by GS 1 enemies. So nope.

I love the idea that different POIs have different Gamestages. Especially late game its very tiring when even small houses with no special loot crates has glowing Zeds in.

For early game the opposite. Its like “hey you wanna good loot? If you feel ready fighting ferals with your blunderbuss and scrap armor then go”

On Topic: I really love the new lighting. It looks now so much better. 

Edited by rivle (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Variance. I found two pistols (Q1) in toilets the first two days. I also recently just received a DB shotgun around Day 5-6.

That is not variance, that is gating.

The game isn't forcing a playstyle it simply reduced the availability of better gear early game.

Gating what you can (atm) loot IS forcing a playstyle. If i knew for sure i can't find any better, why loot then?

Not mentioned that i just lost lvl6 spear, bow, stone axe and various other stuff, like an ak lvl2 (at gamestage 23... from what i understood i shouldn't even be able to find such) from "lost backpack"-bug... That bug exists since i play, what at least is A15....

In terms of A19E, why not just play the game and see how it feels.

I do. I know i can mod it. If the answer ALWAYS is "then mod it" who even plays vanilla? Imho some changes should go into vanilla, because vanilla should also be a reasonable play-through. I'm not talkin about min-maxers think it's to easy. From my recent playthrough, vanilla is still to easy from an experienced players view. But "to easy" doesn't mean it's a good mechanic.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

Well, it performs terribly for me, I'm super disappointed. I listened to streamers praise the new visuals to the sky, even cranking their settings up without any loss of frames. Instead, I've had to turn mine *down*. Both my husband and I were working at custom setting, tweaked to where we liked them to get a nice mix of performance and good-looking game (high textures, low shadows, no particles, etc) and now we're both playing blobworld. It sucks. 

Like: The new lighting looks great. 

Dislike: My new 144 Hz monitor has input lag from the keyboard. Probably not the developers fault.  Probably some damned Windows thing that just happens to interact with something in a weird way. 

Like: New zombies look good, although I was fine with the old ones. 

Dislike: The blood is like neon red, which doesn't match the aesthetic of the Zombies. Should they even squirt blood that far? Do they have a heartbeat? No blood would be more immersive than neon red. 

Like: I like the idea of filling in the progression system with new items. 

Dislike: I already don't carry vitamins and splits, because it's annoying. But I leave them in my car. Now if I have to carry 5 things for 5 conditions, I might just get so sick of the inventory management that I just cheat them all away. 

Dislike: I don't like that everythign penalizes stamina. And early. At a mere 15% infection (Day 1, I checked several POIs the trader, and many stumps no honey) and 50% food (not even that hungry! Why is it so dire already?) I am literally on the forums because I was waiting for my stamina bar to refill. That's a bad sign. Seriously, I might replace all of the medical stuf with a pile of glass and a sleeping bag if that works in this alpha. Far fewer inventory slots. 

Now if there was like a super suppository that cured all ailments, that would be fine. But as I look ahead my list of things i have to carry on every run is just getting longer and longer. There's a line between interesting and just tedious inventory management. 

Like I like the idea of different effects beyond just damage, but I odn't know how to make them interesting. Like I would much rather the infection just kills you at 100%, and increases 5 times as fast. That way there's an urgency (must find honey or I'll die!) but the game doesn't literally become less fun because I have a condition.  I am fine with reductions to hit point maximum, because the game gets more dangerous, but not more tedious. Same with the arm injuries. I deal less damage but the actual gameplay doesn't change that much. Leg injuries . . . as far as I can tell the solution is either afking, hoping it happens beofre al ong base building session or mining session, or . . . glass. 

(Please please please don't make death a 25 min afk again just because it's my solution to everything, I beg you). 

Like: I honestly think harder to get food is good.

Dislike: Reduced stamina regen at 50% food? Awful. I do not like having to stay above 90% food, it's micromanagement. Having to stay above 10% food would be exactly as much danger/looting but far more fun. Like at 20% "Oh, no, I am getting close to something really bad!" is more fun then "crap, the game sucks until I find food because wrenching a sink requires going afk twice while stam regens." (I don't even think that's an exaggeration right now?). 

. . .this is just day 1. 

Some notes about how I play:
Zombies on Jog or Run during the day.

I prefer to play on the highest difficulty to increase zombie damage, but reduce zombie hit points manually by modding to closer to Nomad. 

In increase player block damage to 125%.

18 hour days, 90 minute days. 

Most other things standard? 

Oh, and no loot respawn.

3 day air drops, with markers. 

I am neutral on the sprites in the world. It neither reduces my immersion nor is it strictly necessary. Although I suspect the first time I am in a 20 story mega dungeon on a "kill all zombies" quest and I cant' find that last zombie, I will love sprites. Having watched Kage848 I htink the new digging is a lot better and like the in-world outlines for that a lot. It might be good if it were a quick key to toggle them, so you could turn them on when you have trouble finding something by holding down a button, but leave them off by default, although I noticed when trying to experiment with some custom keys that this game actually uses most of the keyboard already. 

Oh, and the blunderbuss. Killed my first dog. Loved it. 

If I were playing on a hhhger diffuculty though, it might be useless due to things turning into bullet sponges. 

Oh, and I tend to play "drop belt" only.

And I greatly increase player XP and/or reduce the cost of all levels of attributes/perks to 1. 

In my experience I enjoy playing until day 56 or so and then restarting. I play solely single player. 

I think the game is balanced right for multiplayer progression wise, for me personally.

Edited by Wit (see edit history)

I love the Dynamic Music, New Lighting and New zombie models. So immersive!!

I don't like the lack of Animals - on Day 26 with an established mid game base and still find myself hungry. (Maybe my world is bugged who knows)

I don't like the FPS. - 10 Fps In wasteland Biome! (awful) -  lets hope when full release comes it will be slightly more optimized.  (My PC is way above recommended specs and framerate doesn't change with settings)  

I Think Stamina needs to be a little faster when it comes to the Regen. (Starter game feels awful and is just a waiting game when farming resources with tool)

Alpha 19 has the potential to be the best Alpha!   

More thoughts:

Traders in town means more quests closer, love it. 

After a while I think traders will send you to other traders? Super love it. 

For what it's worth, it seems to be the things you need a restart to change that have the greatest effect on the fps, probably no suprprise, but I don't think the game tells you which items require a restart? I switched from custom to ultra, frame rate stayed okay. Then restarted the game to fix this keyboard lag problem (which I am having right now, it has something to do with running 7days to die on a 144hz 1440p monitor (even with gsync off) on windows 10, as I am getting the lag in my 1080p monitor while running 7days to die. But if I made the 1080p normal monitor primary, no keyboard lag.  (I promise you it is not the keyboard or usb ports, as I tried non-usb keyboards and unplugging all the usb stuff, and I can tell you the xbox controller and mouse have no latency and all sticky keys were murdered. Rumors is it is connected to how Windows Fullscreen works, but who knows). And yes, not the forum for it. Just was a thought while I was here just in case it colors my impressions. Mostly it just means I get hit more than I should because my movement keys do not always register or take 0.5-1 second to register a press or release. Which affects how often I get effects like infected, although I just went brawler to help with that.

6700k, 16GB Ram, 1080 

Edited by Wit (see edit history)

Love the graphics updates and the new POI's, enjoying the in dynamic game music but it is starting to get a little repetitive, more variety wouldn't hurt. 

Food is a little ridiculous, if I kill a  stag and get 40 meat or a Bear and get 60 meat, that is gone in less than 1 nights mining, overall food consumption is way too high. Burning ridiculous amounts of calories while using a Motorcycle or Truck seems to be a bit dumb tbh.

Stamina use needs a bit of work imho (to say the least) I mean, with the amount my guy eats, he shouldn't have to constantly stop swinging his pick axe in the mine like a 60 year old asthmatic! (3 points in Sex Rex so far) and why does the impact wrench burn through stamina so quickly? 

Some weird FPS drops (from 100 to 20) in places, one of which is the cave just before the final room in the House on the Hill POI, that is some nasty lag in there!

Overall I think the game is in a decent place, even though I dislike being forced to play in a certain way, my current play through I managed a Minibike on day 3 and a Motorcycle was crafting on the evening of day 8 so my progression hasn't really been slowed, just made less pleasant although the food changes (constant need to eat) for me could become a deal breaker and send me back to modded versions of the game like War3zuk with more food types.

Edited by Galifrey1965 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Wit said:

Traders in town means more quests closer, love it. 

In theory.... for me it is different, trader is now in town, but every fetch/clear quest is in the neighbour towns. Everything >1km away, only thing is burried supplies which i got <500m.

I love that you don't get swamped with guns from the start. Apart from the Blunderbuss, my first firearm was a Q1 toilet gun on day 5.

I fought my first Bloodmoon horde with a stone sledgehammer, two Blunderbusses and a pistol for emergencies. That reminded me of A15/A16 when I fought my first horde with a bow. I also think it's great that the bow and crossbow have more sneak damage. That makes them a perfect weapon for stealth gameplay.

That the traders are now on the outskirts of towns is great. However, the level 1 quests are often far away. That costs a lot of time if don't have a means of transport. Fortunately I found the college jacket and the high performance running shoes in a POI early on. With these I am at least as fast as with a bicycle.

29 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

However, the level 1 quests are often far away. That costs a lot of time if don't have a means of transport.

So it becomes better with level 2?

Is this then inteded? Maybe to make the player explore the map? Then imho it is done wrong. Fine for later game to prefer further away quests to make the player explore, but in very early stage it's just anoying if you have to run 1-2km for each single quest.

I bought a motorcycle now from the trader on day 12... Mainly because of this reason. I haven't even fully discovered the town i am in, but just doing burried supplies becomes boring. Also the endless running around is anoying. I already use coffee/megacrush and put my armor off, but on the way back my inventory is usually full and i'm overloaded and still only have the most valuable stuff taken and left many things behind.

Since this is my first serious singleplayer i now definitely understand people complaining about too small inventory. In multiplayer even with just 2 people you have double the slots and if you stack your stuff together that takes a lot away.

16 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

So it becomes better with level 2?

By the time you get to the level 2 quests you usually have a means of transport. That's why it is less noticeable. 

You have to do 10 level 1 quests to get to level 2. With one or two quests a day you reach level 2 in the second week. By this time most players should have at least a bicycle.

Since there are traders on the edges of towns, they should take advantage of this and offer quests nearby if possible. 

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

By the time you get to the level 2 quests you usually have a means of transport. That's why it is less noticeable. 

Of course it becomes more comfortable if you have a vehicle.

But what's the point of moving the traders into cities but then they only hand out quests in nearby cities? Especially the lvl1 quests?

5 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

You have to do 10 level 1 quests to get to level 2. With one or two quests a day you reach level 2 in the second week. By this time most players should have at least a bicycle.

Huh... depends hardly on how you play. For me 2 quests a day were impossible if running such distances is required. Nearby burried supplies also take a while for digging (you also run constantly out of stamina in early game). Maybe 2 fetch (only) quests a day would be doable if you renounce all looting, but then you probably run out of supplies.

I don't skill INT, since i usually don't build much. The point in grease monkey is just wasted soon as you don't want to use a bicycle if you have better.

Quests are nice, but i don't just want to chain quests, especially not if it takes that much time while i have dozens of better POIs in the neighbourhood.

Whelp, I got to day 7 before realizing that I was playing a screwed up A18 map and needed to clear my files. I love the amount of buildings in A19. I have no idea how many days it will take to clear every building in the town I found. Some of these prefabs are stupidly big, which is cool.

My only problem was spawning out in the map's far corner in a wasteland with dogs and land mines.

Edited by stupid (see edit history)

Like:

- Visual updates:  Lighting, new zed models (minus how they sometimes appear to be wrapped in saran wrap...going for fresh blood/gore maybe?)  Minus that quibble, the visual upgrades to the game have been absolutely fantastic and I hope to see this trend continue up to gold

- Ragdoll physics, from the way the zeds hit the ground to how they do cartwheels when hit with a club/sledge power attack

- Dynamic music (for the most part)

- Melee is a bit more fluid than in A18 (and being I primarily play Strength builds, I put in plenty of melee on every alpha for the purpose of saving ammo)

- Auto Shotgun is an absolute monster; I place it in a pantheon with the Halo 1 shotgun and the auto shotgun from the original Turok N64 game (which, while firing faster, didn't shred through 3-4 targets at a time)  Yet to run into demolishers yet, though, and I have yet to get the SM book for crafting slugs, so maybe things get dicey later...

- Trader to trader quests are a nice QoL change

- HUD indicators also a nice QoL (wouldn't be upset if option to disable them is present but I plan to leave them as-is)

- Dig site indicator for buried treasure quests/maps is a nice change (provided the treasure isn't buried smack under a road)

- Loot progression:  Going from primitive stuff (which isn't total utter garbage anymore) to basic weapons then the wild stuff feels really good.  Pretty sure I fired a blunderbuss more in my first in-game day in A19 then all of my time in A17 and A18 put together

- Sneak damage changes:  Much needed to make stealth-based builds worth doing

Dislike:

- RWG didn't want to play nice for me; generated 2 8k maps, both of which essentially had the same biome layout, with one of them literally having nothing in the wasteland biome; this irked my group since we wanted to do a playthrough being based in that biome, but being several km away from literally anything was simply obnoxious.  We opted to go with an all-wasteland map thanks to Nitrogen.  I'd recommend picking Damocles' brain for help on that, because that tool is a godsend.

- Dynamic music:  The combat theme basically serves as a warning that you have 3+ zeds inbound.  That's my biggest gripe with it (instead of the "omg it plays all the time" complaint).  Gives the player a second to analyze the situation that (if the music didn't kick in) might end with surprise zombies up the player's butt

- Stamina:  At first I thought this was simply due to being in heavy armor with minimal perk investment, but even with no armor on at all, stam usage is unreal this go around.  Mining is even worse now, although once an auger comes into play, that point becomes moot.  Sex Rex is pretty much a requirement for anyone in heavy armor (which makes the fact it got moved to strength such a relief).  Combat is becoming more bearable in my most progressed playthrough since I have 4/4 heavy armor + 4/4 sex rex + 3-4 customized fittings installed + ergo grip.  Blackstrap Coffee is pretty much every miner's best friend now, far moreso than it was in A18

- Junk...erm Robotic Sledge:  Best use my crew has found of that thing is that it has a chance of launching a friendly player through the air when smacked with it (we have pvp disabled, tho).  Buddy of mine managed to launch me over a car lot building doing this...rather hilarious although I suspect it's a bug (think Skyrim giant clubbing you, only not quite as wild)

- TAR and Sniper Rifle:  Sucks that they aren't working properly with scopes and other mods, but seeing that it was in the preview streams, it's a known thing and (I'm pretty certain) will be addressed

- Traders:  With the ideas being tossed around about how working quests for traders will eventually get the attention of Noah/Duke, it seems players will be strong armed into doing quests for them.  Not necessarily an A19 specific complaint, though.  However, finding a Desert Vulture on sale at the first trader I got to on day 1 was a bit wild, to say the least.  Couldn't afford it (almost 6k), but still; hope to see trader loot progression tied to/akin to that which players get via looting

Jury still out:

- Perk rebalance:  Overall, it seems good.  Heavy Armor being moved to Strength makes sense and actually opens up some hybrid build possibilities, although one could argue it basically has strength replacing Fort as the top dog perk tree.  Were it not for being my group's farmer/gardener, I probably wouldn't have any points in Fort now aside from the single point in Healing Factor (which is literally first thing I put a point in every playthrough).  Living off the Land rank 3 only granting 3 crops per gather is weak; should have Super Corn recipe also, IMO (I'm sustaining a group of 4-5 players just with rank 2).  Giving the 30 stam per kill on rank 3 of Flurry (combined with heavy armor moved to Strength) makes a light armor fist build a possibility (and a nice variety of weapon choices with Fort + Agi).  Bicycle parts requiring workbench, which requires int of 4, which also makes minibike possible to build...bit janky there.  Bulk gas/gun powder crafting being moved further into trees hurts (Grease Monkey 4 for gas, Demo Expert 3 or 4 for gunpowder), but honestly seems more reasonable

Gonna get a lot of hate for this one but...

Do we really need to see Jen's cleavage? The new model seems to follow the usual portrayal of women in video games but guys, it's 2020 and if I watch a video I really don't want the male tubers going on about her cleavage. I think the artist did a great job modelling her, but if she is a doctor, give her back her white coat or just go the full hog and give her tramp stamps and a belly button ring...

I agree with a disliking of the path that the game has been going down; since 16, the last three alphas have been getting worse; with things like exploding zombies, spider zombies, farm plots, and zombies that can tear apart steel with minimal difficulty.

It used to be about the fun of crafting, surviving, and exploring; now, it's about struggling to be able to build a base and gather the resources to repair it within an in-game week.

The fact that replacing terrain hasn't worked since Alpha 17 is also annoying in that I can't make an asphalt driveway for my base or a parking pad that doesn't clip around block edges and means that, now, to make a base work, I hollow out a massive square and build a base inside it.

57 minutes ago, Galifrey1965 said:

Do we really need to see Jen's cleavage? The new model seems to follow the usual portrayal of women in video games but guys, it's 2020 and if I watch a video I really don't want the male tubers going on about her cleavage. I think the artist did a great job modelling her, but if she is a doctor, give her back her white coat or just go the full hog and give her tramp stamps and a belly button ring...

Seems unnecessary to me as well but some fights aren't worth fighting.

44 minutes ago, Galifrey1965 said:

Maybe we don't need to but I also don't see it as a problem (naturally as a male I have a lot more tolerance for that as well). Her cup size is somewhat extreme. But the form of her t-shirt would be a common occurence in summer. She also doesn't look like a fantasy character. What youtubers do is not my concern, I mostly ignore them, but would definitely ignore someone who thought talking about her cleavage was funny or interesting in any way.

2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Maybe we don't need to but I also don't see it as a problem (naturally as a male I have a lot more tolerance for that as well). Her cup size is somewhat extreme. But the form of her t-shirt would be a common occurence in summer. She also doesn't look like a fantasy character. What youtubers do is not my concern, I mostly ignore them, but would definitely ignore someone who thought talking about her cleavage was funny or interesting in any way.

Most of us Males usually don't have an issue with it, and her outfit is the same whatever the Biome 😉

6 minutes ago, Galifrey1965 said:

Most of us Males usually don't have an issue with it, and her outfit is the same whatever the Biome 😉

Well, then you should also complain about Trader Joel in a big fur coat whatever the biome 😉

Good:

I love the visual upgrade; it really makes it a beautiful world

Bad:

The inability to change terrain blocks that lingered from A18 continues to piss me off.

Farm plots can @%$*#! off.

Looting has become worthless.

Injuries are too easy to the proportion of debilitation they cause.

Injuries/Infection make the game virtually unplayable.

Food consumption is insanely high to the fullness yield.

Stamina drain makes doing anything almost impossible.

Problems I've had in general:

I want an option for zombie sets; the ability to turn off things like vomiting zombies, homing vultures, the dog hordes, spider zombies, screamers, and exploding zombies.  (Yes, I've put in mods to remove these things; but, I would like a selector that would let me choose what types of zombies spawn so I'm not dealing with the buggy-ness of mods trying to remove them.)

I want there to be a limit to the damage a zombie can do.  No zombie should be able to smash away steel or concrete walls; subsequently, they should be almost impossible to craft in a post-apocalyptic world.  (I've used a mod where it turns zombie block damage down to 1% and it has lead to a horde encasing my base waiting to tear me to shreds like something out of a Romero movie and it kicked @%$*#!.  There, the challenge became getting in and out of places; knowing that on the other side of my garden wall were hordes that wanted to tear me apart on every trip outside.  Step one was to slaughter them all before venturing out for more brass/lead/etc.)

Edited by Dracula (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Well, then you should also complain about Trader Joel in a big fur coat whatever the biome 😉

Strictly speaking I should be complaining about Fur Coats in general but I gave him the benefit of the doubt that it's Faux Fur. 😉

As others mentioned, the loot adjustment versus game stage is a welcome thing.

I enjoyed getting a random level 3 AK on day one but that sort of forced me to skip out on a lot of other early weapons.

I wouldn't mind having a *very* small chance of getting a higher tier weapon early on but only in dangerous places, somewhat difficult to reach. Higashi, the factories etc.

Now I have been forced to discover the one-hit wonder beauty of the blunderbuss. Fun!

I like how the zombies stare at me now, it's disturbing, as it should be.

Love how the cooked foods don't have a chance to make you sick anymore.

I don't exactly appreciate how easy it is to sneak up on bird and zombies even with a fresh character.

That used to require some investment into sneaking perks and adjustment of the equipment, mods etc. I suppose it's a balance issue.

I have a distinct feeling there is more daylight overall - it's still very bright around 22:00 and gets bright around 3:30. Not sure if this is adjustable but I'd rather have the brightness decreasing pushed 2 hours on both ends.

The map generator should create the skyscraper class of buildings a bit more often. I rolled 3 random maps and only one had the large book factory and one other had the unfinished scraper. Perhaps an adjustable option to force it to create at least one of each?

Still playing but so far enjoying it very much.

Edited by Blasphemous (see edit history)