Edit History

Roland

Roland

No ire Jax. I don't know whether I agree with you on the timeline but I absolutely agree with you that there will come a time when streamers will have set prices to advertise. I'm sure there are already some streamers who wouldn't touch our event unless we offered them payment for their services. Right now, the equilibrium is close to equal where both parties see the advantages of partnering up. We get advertising and they get an exclusive and hyped event that can grow their channel.

But... even some of the big channels don't do this ONLY to make money. Neeb's Gaming has a very philanthropic attitude and legitimately have an interest in helping studios of games they like to be successful by doing their show. Despite their huge success they aren't sending out pricing lists to any studios for a certain number of episodes on their game. If they like a game then they play it and show it at no charge to that studio. 

There are other quite large channels that most would agree have "arrived" that were equally excited to participate and never even hinted that if we wanted their 900k viewers we would have to pony up some advertising dollars from our budget to see our game on their channel. A lot of streaming is driven by passion for gaming and not only cash for gaming though cash for gaming is certainly nice. 

Finally, much like gaming magazines, there are ads and then there are stories. If the magazine editor feels like they want to cover 7 Days to Die because it will draw greater readership the magazine isn't going to charge for covering the story they want to do. But if TFP wanted to put a two-page spread in the mag then we would definitely have to pay the ad rates in order to do that. So even if there comes a time that most streamers affiliate and have managers that negotiate payment terms with studios to have their games get covered--there still will be a lot of non-advertising coverage because the streamer will want to do it. Think about it. If Valve wanted to advertise in PC Gamer for their new Alyx game they would certainly have to pay for that. But if they contacted PC Gamer offering an exclusive interview and play session with Portal 3, I doubt the magazine would say, "Only if you pay us x amount of money" They would want the story and print it free of charge because it would help sell copies.

It definitely will be interesting to see how this industry evolves over time as it truly is still in its infancy but growing quickly. 

Roland

Roland

No ire Jax. I don't know whether I agree with you on the timeline but I absolutely agree with you that there will come a time when streamers will have set prices to advertise. I'm sure there are already some streamers who wouldn't touch our event unless we offered them payment for their services. Right now, the equilibrium is close to equal where both parties see the advantages of partnering up. We get advertising and they get an exclusive and hyped event that can grow their channel.

But... even some of the big channels don't do this ONLY to make money. Neeb's Gaming has a very philanthropic attitude and legitimately have an interest in helping studios of games they like to be successful by doing their show. Despite their huge success they aren't sending out pricing lists to any studios for a certain number of episodes on their game. If they like a game then they play it and show it at no charge to that studio. 

There are other quite large channels that most would agree have "arrived" that were equally excited to participate and never even hinted that if we wanted their 900k viewers we would have to pony up some advertising dollars from our budget to see our game on their channel. A lot of streaming is driven by passion for gaming and not only cash for gaming though cash for gaming is certainly nice. 

Finally, much like gaming magazines, there are ads and then there are stories. If the magazine editor feels like they want to cover 7 Days to Die because it will draw greater readership the magazine isn't going to charge for covering the story they want to do. But if TFP wanted to put a two-page spread in the mag then we would definitely have to pay the ad rates in order to do that. So even if there comes a time that most streamers affiliate and have managers that negotiate payment terms with studios to have their games get covered--there still will be a lot of non-advertising coverage because the streamer will want to do it. Think about it. If Valve wanted to advertise in PC Gamer for their new Alyx game they would certainly have to pay for that. But if they contacted PC Gamer offering an exclusive interview and play session with Portal 3, I doubt the magazine would say, "Only if you pay us x amount of money" They would want the story.

It definitely will be interesting to see how this industry evolves over time as it truly is still in its infancy but growing quickly. 

Roland

Roland

Finally, much like gaming magazines, there are ads and then there are stories. If the magazine editor feels like they want to cover 7 Days to Die because it will draw greater readership the magazine isn't going to charge for covering the story they want to do. But if TFP wanted to put a two-page spread in the mag then we would definitely have to pay the ad rates in order to do that. So even if there comes a time that most streamers affiliate and have managers that negotiate payment terms with studios to have their games get covered--there still will be a lot of non-advertising coverage because the streamer will want to do it. 

Roland

Roland

There are other quite large channels that most would agree have "arrived" that were equally excited to participate and never even hinted that if we wanted their 900k viewers we would have to pony up some advertising dollars from our budge to see our game on their channel. A lot of streaming is driven by passion for gaming and not only cash for gaming though cash for gaming is certainly nice. 

Finally, much like gaming magazines, there are ads and then there are stories. If the magazine editor feels like they want to cover 7 Days to Die because it will draw greater readership the magazine isn't going to charge for covering the story they want to do. But if TFP wanted to put a two-page spread in the mag then we would definitely have to pay the ad rates in order to do that. So even if there comes a time that most streamers affiliate and have managers that negotiate payment terms with studios to have their games get covered--there still will be a lot of non-advertising coverage because the streamer will want to do it.