Solving Anger Over “Punching” Crops

blugold1

I hear that there is no intent to remove punching crops to harvest them.   I’ve come somewhat used to it, but like many others, it still drives me mad when I pick up a seed rather than harvest the crop in my crosshairs. So, I have a solution that I think makes almost everyone happy.  

Require use of a shovel to remove a seed.  Make punching only damage the dirt, and if you punch the dirt enough to destroy the dirt block, the seed is lost.  However, the only way to actually harvest a seed is with a shovel.  

This solves the issue of accidentally harvesting a seed, follows the path of needing tools for everything, and has a realistic feel to it.  In real life, if I want to transplant something, I can’t just grab it and pull its roots out of the ground.  You need to dig it up, by the roots, typically using a shovel. 

11 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Much more simple solution: Harvest plants by pressing E... (make it use stamina anyway, if that's the point)

LIKE IT WAS DONE IN PREVIOUS ALPHAS ALREADY.

But it’s clear the devs aren’t doing this, or even considering it, hence my first statement.  It’s come up in the A19 streams, which I’m guessing you aren’t aware of.  

I don't watch the dev streams. 3 hours of video is anoying while 90% of that "small talk" is completely uninteresting (for me). I'd wish more for text, but in days of videomania everybody seems to need make videos with hours of length instead of writing text i can read in 15min. If watching videos, i want to SEE something. Looking at people talk is pure nonsense. If you just want to talk, make a @%$*#!ing podcast.

I already complained about "punching" crops in the dev thread weeks ago. But as it seems for me right now, in many points, some more or less single person *cough* of TFP decides where the game should go, hardly based on what he prefers in person.

I did not watch them either, but got the gist of it from a MP server I play on, from people that do watch.  

I’m simply offering a solution that seems to fit within the devs vision of the game.  I don’t disagree pressing E is much easier (I play Darkness Falls and like it there).   But, knowing their position on the matter, this seems to be a solution that fits their visions.  

Sry I can't point you to a time stamp but I do recall hearing MM say explicitly that they wanted to fully get rid of E key for things like plant picking.

Personally I -really- hope they implement _something_ so we can't accidently harvest the planted seeds.

Along similar basic idea of yours @blugold1, I wonder if they could leverage existing mechanics so that once a seed matures it gains 3 or 4X the HPs that a single player punch does. So even if you punched a seed (and really, just writing that is a wtf?? moment...) a couple times it wouldn't pop.

And for a Gold Star leverage the irradiated zombie self healing bit so seeds would regain their full ~50 HPs over a couple minutes.

Archived