Electricity and more

Lein123

21 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

And people wondered why when I was growing up, why I often kept away from my fellow piers in school and shut myself away in offices to complete my work in the silence that comes with solitude. Even at the age of 5, and this was many years ago, and watching a TV program, when one of the characters said on screen, "I hate contests. You all win"... it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm definitely not claiming to be a tough guy by any means, but seeing how the majority of my generation are (Millennials), it makes my eyes roll. Lol

Okay boomer

11 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Yep, I was chat banned within like 20 minutes of the first stream before the Q&A even started and am still banned lol. Well excuuuuuuse me for being interested in the junk sledge and trying to get literally *any* info on it!

i just was banned for 10 mins, and then the Q&A came up and right when i was going to ask about the Lumberjack! i was locked again so i just went. Screw it i was never going to get picked anyways!

47 minutes ago, Eighmy_Lupin said:

I know they don't allow anything that could be seen as racist/sexist/political/religious. I think they also try to keep cursing to a minimum 

and all i asked was.

"will be get a zombie that walks around that looks like the crawler"

AKA will we get a Super rotten zombie that roams around on 2 legs! Cuz i think it would look nice for this game for a Role that can fit EVERYTHING!

from a old rotten zombie! and a Ripped apart person that turned!

kinda like one of the zombies in ravenhearst! (note: i have not played it, only seen vids and Pics)

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Spam would probably be included in there.

The issue is that spam is literally the only thing that works on Twitch, which is why I hate it being what so many devs use. AMA on Reddit are way better because people post their questions in the days / hours leading up to the post and others upvote them, so the top quests are the ones the community actually wants answered. The forum thread on this forum is just first come first served, which is better than Twitch but still not overly useful

Twitch it's just random chance if your post manages to catch their eye during the 0.00024 seconds it's on screen before it's pushed away. Basically all you can do is ask super short snappy questions that are no longer than 4-10 words max, and ask them on a loop and hope others are also asking the same questions on a loop so there's slightly more chance for them to be seen.

Which is why it gets so annoying when people are spamming the chat with dumb memes or irrelevant things like "Rick, when is your birthday?" or "Rick, what color socks were you wearing on the day you decided to make 7 Days to Die?"

Like come on, when you have a chance to directly ask the devs questions about the upcoming release and get relevant info, why waste it on meme questions, or worse, ask the same question that was answered 458 times already.

THEY'VE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THEIR PLAN FOR CONSOLE AND WHEN THE GAME WILL BE OUT OF ALPHA, STOP ASKING REEEEEEE

And now you see why I was banned from chat >_>

5 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

The issue is that spam is literally the only thing that works on Twitch, which is why I hate it being what so many devs use. AMA on Reddit are way better because people post their questions in the days / hours leading up to the post and others upvote them, so the top quests are the ones the community actually wants answered. The forum thread on this forum is just first come first served, which is better than Twitch but still not overly useful

Twitch it's just random chance if your post manages to catch their eye during the 0.00024 seconds it's on screen before it's pushed away. Basically all you can do is ask super short snappy questions that are no longer than 4-10 words max, and ask them on a loop and hope others are also asking the same questions on a loop so there's slightly more chance for them to be seen.

Which is why it gets so annoying when people are spamming the chat with dumb memes or irrelevant things like "Rick, when is your birthday?" or "Rick, what color socks were you wearing on the day you decided to make 7 Days to Die?"

Like come on, when you have a chance to directly ask the devs questions about the upcoming release and get relevant info, why waste it on meme questions, or worse, ask the same question that was answered 458 times already.

THEY'VE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THEIR PLAN FOR CONSOLE AND WHEN THE GAME WILL BE OUT OF ALPHA, STOP ASKING REEEEEEE

And now you see why I was banned from chat >_>

Still, it is what it is. Unless you can invent a mind control machine and broadcast it worldwide, nothing's gonna change. Not saying I agree with it though.

On a side note, YouTube comments are somewhat the same. Usually the top 100 or 1000 comments are the same overused memes posted over and over, while the genuinely interesting and potentially helpful comments are left at the bottom of the heap with 0 upvotes or replies and will never be read by anyone, including the influencer. A sad truth.

18 hours ago, Tahaan said:

The power source, eg generator, gives out both power and a default signal.
The Not gate passes the power and the inverted signal along.  It does not use power to infer a signal state, nor create infinite power.
Doors etc uses the signal to decide whether to turn on or off.  
So no infinite power.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Having said all of that I would much rather just have the doors, draw-bridges, etc have an option to change their default state.

I'm trying to follow this concept...

So when I have [[ Generator ]] --> [[ Switch ]] --> [[ Lightbulb ]] is the current or the signal interrupted by the switch? My answer is both because they are intermingled. The power IS the signal.

But you are saying that a wire passes both the power and the state information separately...

[[ Generator ]] --> [[ Switch(on) ]] --> [[NOT]] --> [[ Lightbulb ]] would not allow the power to continue to flow but invert the "signal" to Off... Thus a bulb that consumes power but no light.

however, NOT gates work both ways, so 

[[ Generator ]] --> [[ Switch(off) ]] --> [[NOT]] --> [[ Lightbulb ]] would allow the power to continue, but invert the "signal" to On?... Thus a bulb that creates light but consumes no power.

If Neither of these examples work at all then you have effectively no reason to have a NOT gate at all. If you are focusing more on doors, etc., that really require no power to change state in their most basic form, then I can see that all you really need is a power BUMP to change states, not continuous voltage, but what if you are using a turret or a blade trap instead of the lightbulb in the examples above? There are far more possible combinations that are either broken by design, or else would need to be excluded from functioning by TFP for that application.

I get that you are looking at basic game mechanics and going "Well, why not just do it this way?" (or not even looking at the game mechanics at all), but it is coming across as if you think it makes no sense to do any other way ...I'm just saying that it is possible to do in game logic gates that are actually logical and are a lot like actual real life circuit diagrams.

** I'm starting to see why TFP is reluctant to add logic gates.

15 minutes ago, Sigil_Thane said:

I'm trying to follow this concept...

So when I have [[ Generator ]] --> [[ Switch ]] --> [[ Lightbulb ]] is the current or the signal interrupted by the switch? My answer is both because they are intermingled. The power IS the signal.

But you are saying that a wire passes both the power and the state information separately...

[[ Generator ]] --> [[ Switch(on) ]] --> [[NOT]] --> [[ Lightbulb ]] would not allow the power to continue to flow but invert the "signal" to Off... Thus a bulb that consumes power but no light.

however, NOT gates work both ways, so 

[[ Generator ]] --> [[ Switch(off) ]] --> [[NOT]] --> [[ Lightbulb ]] would allow the power to continue, but invert the "signal" to On?... Thus a bulb that creates light but consumes no power.

If Neither of these examples work at all then you have effectively no reason to have a NOT gate at all. If you are focusing more on doors, etc., that really require no power to change state in their most basic form, then I can see that all you really need is a power BUMP to change states, not continuous voltage, but what if you are using a turret or a blade trap instead of the lightbulb in the examples above? There are far more possible combinations that are either broken by design, or else would need to be excluded from functioning by TFP for that application.

I get that you are looking at basic game mechanics and going "Well, why not just do it this way?" (or not even looking at the game mechanics at all), but it is coming across as if you think it makes no sense to do any other way ...I'm just saying that it is possible to do in game logic gates that are actually logical and are a lot like actual real life circuit diagrams.

** I'm starting to see why TFP is reluctant to add logic gates.

In order for NOT to work without exploits, you'd need to have a second power input, like so:

[[generator]] -> [[ switch ]] -> [[ "NOT" ]] -> [[ door, whatever ]]
      |------------------------------^

This is basically what happens in real electronic circuits.

Of course, this is really an XOR where one of the inputs is always on - so if TFP ever do include logic gates it should be easy.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sigil_Thane said:

Possibly, but unlike switches that have an input and an output, AND OR and even NOT would require a secondary input.

AND and OR would work like this:

Input A     Input B
       \   /
         Y
         |
       Result

...but NOT would need to work like this:

Signal      Power
       \   /
         Y
         |
       Result

otherwise you could have a NOT immediately after the power supply which you just leave off for infinite electricity.

11 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

In order for NOT to work without exploits, you'd need to have a second power input, like so:

[[generator]] -> [[ switch ]] -> [[ "NOT" ]] -> [[ door, whatever ]]
      |------------------------------^

This is basically what happens in real electronic circuits.

Of course, this is really an XOR where one of the inputs is always on - so if TFP ever do include logic gates it should be easy.

Literally what I said 2 days ago when I was trying to outline the entire logic gate system. >sigh<

2 hours ago, Sigil_Thane said:

Literally what I said 2 days ago when I was trying to outline the entire logic gate system. >sigh<

I missed that post, I guess. Sorry about that.

But, there is one subtle difference. Your NOT gate considers "power" and "signal" to be distinct types of data. An XOR eliminates the need for a  "signal" input - both XOR inputs accept "power" inputs, just like AND and OR.

As you said, there is no such thing as a "signal" now in 7D2D. Wires carry some amount of power, and "off" is just zero power. Making the wires carry both "signal" and "power" would just complicate things - and complicated things are less likely to get done.

(Of course it also raises interesting questions... If you feed 70W and 100W into an AND, OR, or XOR, what wattage does each output?)

EDIT - I just remembered the odd rules about things like trigger plates and pass-through - if you have two trigger plates connected together, either one will trigger whatever it's connected to (like a door); basically they act like an OR. But if you put a relay between them, both trigger plates must be activated to trigger whatever it's connected to; basically like an AND.

So - I guess I'm wrong, and there is something like a separate "signal" which the relay is blocking (since it doesn't block power).

Given that, perhaps what Tahaan says is possible after all.

23 hours ago, madmole said:

Lol nice.

That's just how kids rolled back in the day.

I had a teacher who used the yard stick on kids fingers, hands, forearms etc if they pissed her off. One time she wrapped duct tape around this kids head about 3x to get him to stop talking in class.

I just read a story where a kid was doing an online class cause of COVID and had a rack in his bedroom with a BB gun hanging and the school called the police on him.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, madmole said:

Lol nice.

That's just how kids rolled back in the day.

I had a teacher who used the yard stick on kids fingers, hands, forearms etc if they pissed her off. One time she wrapped duct tape around this kids head about 3x to get him to stop talking in class.

Haha. No joke, I had a science teacher that kept a slingshot with little balled up papers (not spitballs lol) and fired them at students not paying attention andor misbehaving.

Today I'm sure he'd be charged with a capital offense if he did that.

4 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Haha. No joke, I had a science teacher that kept a slingshot with little balled up papers (not spitballs lol) and fired them at students not paying attention andor misbehaving.

Today I'm sure he'd be charged with a capital offense if he did that.

Sad times we live in nowadays. I'd be surprised if the human race will still exist in the next 300 years; by that point, we'd probably be left with just eating berries and absorbing information through a cranial transplant.

25 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

^ A sad potential truth.

Oh well, nothing I can do but kick back, play a virtual apocalypse / game and drink some iced tea.

Speaking of 7 Days to Die, that new crawler though. It looks absolutely fantastic (as do the other zombie models) and I hope it makes it into A19. If not, A20 it is. 🙂

3 hours ago, Dethar said:

And Roland continues to be ignored.

Roland who?

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Sad times we live in nowadays. I'd be surprised if the human race will still exist in the next 300 years; by that point, we'd probably be left with just eating berries and absorbing information through a cranial transplant.

If only we lived in a time where physical violence was the solution to everything. That was completely different back-in-the-days! People were so much more civilized back then!

/s

I also think that it would be great if they add feature so we can wire multiple inputs into machines,than we actually dont need logic gates because we can make it in our own way. For example OR gate:

[[generator]] -> [[ switch ]] -> [[ door, whatever]]
         |------ [[ switch ]] -> ------|

11 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I missed that post, I guess. Sorry about that.

But, there is one subtle difference. Your NOT gate considers "power" and "signal" to be distinct types of data. An XOR eliminates the need for a  "signal" input - both XOR inputs accept "power" inputs, just like AND and OR.

As you said, there is no such thing as a "signal" now in 7D2D. Wires carry some amount of power, and "off" is just zero power. Making the wires carry both "signal" and "power" would just complicate things - and complicated things are less likely to get done.

(Of course it also raises interesting questions... If you feed 70W and 100W into an AND, OR, or XOR, what wattage does each output?)

EDIT - I just remembered the odd rules about things like trigger plates and pass-through - if you have two trigger plates connected together, either one will trigger whatever it's connected to (like a door); basically they act like an OR. But if you put a relay between them, both trigger plates must be activated to trigger whatever it's connected to; basically like an AND.

So - I guess I'm wrong, and there is something like a separate "signal" which the relay is blocking (since it doesn't block power).

Given that, perhaps what Tahaan says is possible after all.

This is EXACTLY what I based the idea on.  I actually used a light in my testing, not a relay, between the sensors.

I had a guy knuckle rubbing me in assembly, later that day I kicked him in the balls repeatedly.

When I was pulled into the principals office I showed them my bloody scalp, and told them that the teachers ignored my requests for help, which they had.  So I had to take matters into my own hands.  Never got bothered again in that school.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:09 PM, Adam the Waster said:

i just was banned for 10 mins, and then the Q&A came up and right when i was going to ask about the Lumberjack! i was locked again so i just went. Screw it i was never going to get picked anyways!

Twitch doesnt like too many messages at once from each person to reduce spam.  It helps to post more then a few words for post...😅

Archived