rambling on about min-maxing & perk choices

FileMachete

5 hours ago, Roland said:

I like the current perk system but these are excellent points and good criticisms of the system that I can't deny. I do disagree with you on asking for pre-defined classes because I like that you can build your own class by the combination of perks you can choose. I do acknowledge that the number of combinations is more limited than it would be if governing attributes were not so tied to specific weapons.

I do think that if ultimate freedom were given so that it was just as cheap to combine any favored melee weapon with any favored ranged weapon that most of the weapons would be ignored as players gravitated to the ultimate couple they prefered. There is some fun in picking an attribute and focusing on the weapons within that attribute for one playthrough and then picking a different attribute and focusing on the weapons for that one. However, there would be nothing stopping us from doing that either if the weapons were unlinked from the attributes. Only the min-maxers would lock themselves into the same two weapons every time and then complain that the game has no variety.... ;)

@meganoth what mods did you try to alter the perk system? Was there one that decoupled the weapons from the attributes?

All the typical total conversion mods because my group on the multiplayer server wants to play something new each playthrough. I did not specifically look for mods to change the perk system but all total conversions do anyway. The only lightweight mod we did try was your 0xp mod.

Archived