Ideas for new types of zombies or zombie functions

Rubelite

As my favourite aspect of this game is the tower defense (although the run and gun style is starting to feel really fun especially with the motorcycle) I absolutely love watching the AI find that one week point and hitting it hard. Having said that with every update it on ever takes a couple tests to really figure out how the Zombies are searching and attacking.

I would love to see the zombies have different functions like the screamer, spider, and cop (or the time bomb dudes). Wouldn't even need a new skin. Just designating a certain type of zombie as a scout maybe. It could randomly search the area reporting back any unnatural structures (i.e. trap doors, ramps, small shacks, etc.).  I could lead to the spider zombies being directed to ramps or time bombers being directed to weak points in the wall or strong defenses. 

Maybe making it only available on the higher difficulties as the extra health and damage mean nothing late game, but better AI during horde nights or roaming hordes during the day would be interesting. I know it would mean you would need different heuristic for different zombie types, but would be interesting also potentially causing splits in hordes when attacking more often.

Thoughts? 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:31 AM, Rubelite said:

Thoughts? 

Zombies are usually dumb and not able to really organize practically in groups. So a scout scouting and then telling other zombies where to go or where not to go doesn't fit to any zombie behaviour, imho.

They somehow do group up and also get damage bonus in groups, so splitting up would not only be "unrealistic" but also a bad tactic.

Some people even complain that Zs magically know the weak spot of your base and want them to behave dumber. Like in earlier versions they just try to get to the player on the direct path. They didn't even go around a 5x5 building if the door on the other side was open. So imho there might be Zs that prefer searching a free path but not hit on walls (maybe and/or hit on doors) but other (maybe the stronger ones) choose the more direct way instead of searching for better paths.

Imho they should also not magically know the player position and head to that EXACT position. If they can see the player, ok. If they can't they should just have an approximated position, like "player is somewhere inside this 16x16 block range" and search the player in that area. So you could not steer the Zs that direct anymore.

Archived