Edit History

37 minutes ago, Roland said:

There is a possible way to make it so that player built structures can have a distant terrain 3d mesh but there are big problems and issues associated with it-especially with multiplayer where each client would have to get that mesh added to their maps as well for them to be able to see it.

But initially the distant terrain has to be calculated on the server since in multiplayer the client should never have the voxel structure of the whole map?

So the server could recalculate the distant terrain and on next logon send the updated version to the client?

Or is on first join the whole voxel map transferred to each client and each client calculates the distant terrain on it's own? But then it would be even easier, then i'd just need to tell my client to update the distant terrain.

Just to make sure: I am not talking about a live update of the distant terrain. I know that this would be complicated and affect server performance drastically. I'm just asking for a way to update it by manually trigger or maybe time scheduled. Lets call it an "easy fix for the moment". Just redo what is done on map generation anyway.

I don't know how it technically works in detail but from what i understand it should be possible to just redo it on command.

Live update is of course a completely different story.

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

Since we are in agreement, what do you think the server could do overnight to improve this? Are you talking about building imposters for all player-placed blocks?

If it is possible, recalculate distant terrain for maybe all modified chunks, some manually choosen chunks (maybe i tell the server to recalculate just the region around the base we built) or in the absolute worse case, if it is not possible to blend in just some regions of distant terrain into the global terrain, recalculate DT for the whole map. For my case it doesn't matter if it takes hours. It's not a public server, it's private, it's not visited 24/7, we have more or less constant playtimes and the server could easily do (manually triggerd) updates in between.

Since i assume that the distant terrain meshes don't fit to any chunk borders i guess it would be hard to merge partial changes, so the "easy fix" would be to recalculate it completely.

33 minutes ago, Roland said:

There is a possible way to make it so that player built structures can have a distant terrain 3d mesh but there are big problems and issues associated with it-especially with multiplayer where each client would have to get that mesh added to their maps as well for them to be able to see it.

But initially the distant terrain has to be calculated on the server since in multiplayer the client should never have the voxel structure of the whole map?

So the server could recalculate the distant terrain and on next logon send the updated version to the client?

Or is on first join the whole voxel map transferred to each client and each client calculates the distant terrain on it's own? But then it would be even easier, then i'd just need to tell my client to update the distant terrain.

Just to make sure: I am not talking about a live update of the distant terrain. I know that this would be complicated and affect server performance drastically. I'm just asking for a way to update it by manually trigger or maybe time scheduled. Lets call it an "easy fix for the moment". Just redo what is done on map generation anyway.

I don't know how it technically works in detail but from what i understand it should be possible to just redo it on command.

56 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Since we are in agreement, what do you think the server could do overnight to improve this? Are you talking about building imposters for all player-placed blocks?

If it is possible, recalculate distant terrain for maybe all modified chunks, some manually choosen chunks (maybe i tell the server to recalculate just the region around the base we built) or in the absolute worse case, if it is not possible to blend in just some regions of distant terrain into the global terrain, recalculate DT for the whole map. For my case it doesn't matter if it takes hours. It's not a public server, it's private, it's not visited 24/7, we have more or less constant playtimes and the server could easily do (manually triggerd) updates in between.

22 minutes ago, Roland said:

45 minutes ago, Boidster said:

If it is possible, recalculate distant terrain for maybe all modified chunks, some manually choosen chunks (maybe i tell the server to recalculate just the region around the base we built) or in the absolute worse case, recalculate DT for the whole map. For my case it doesn't matter if it takes hours. It's not a public server, it's private, it's not visited 24/7, we have more or less constant playtimes and the server could easily do (manually triggerd) updates in between.