Edit History

Roland

Roland

27 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

No, no - distant meshes are not 2D billboards, they are 3d-objects. And they are not the simplest ones. 

You can see them up close in the prefab editor.

You are absolutely correct and I am wrong-- on the internet.

So I asked and here is the real scoop. The distant terrain POIs are 3d meshes that are baked into the game when you generate the map before you even start playing. They are 3d objects so they do orient themselves correctly in the distance no matter which way you approach them.

They are experimenting with ways to have those distant objects change to reflect changes to the actual POI's so that if you raze one to the ground it won't reappear from far away or if you blow a hole in the side of one that will also show up in distant terrain. They are looking at the best way to have this happen but they don't want to sacrifice performance for it.

There is a possible way to make it so that player built structures can have a distant terrain 3d mesh but there are big problems and issues associated with it-especially with multiplayer where each client would have to get that mesh added to their maps as well for them to be able to see it.

TLDR: Maybe you will get what you want but it won't be in A19.

Roland

Roland

18 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

No, no - distant meshes are not 2D billboards, they are 3d-objects. And they are not the simplest ones. 

You can see them up close in the prefab editor.

You are absolutely correct and I am wrong-- on the internet.

So I asked and here is the real scoop. The distant terrain POIs are 3d meshes that are baked into the game when you generate the map before you even start playing. They are 3d objects so they do orient themselves correctly in the distance no matter which way you approach them.

They are experimenting with ways to have those distant objects change to reflect changes to the actual POI's so that if you raze one to the ground it won't reappear from far away or if you blow a hole in the side of one that will also show up in distant terrain. They are looking at the best way to have this happen but they also consider it a luxury quality of life and not something to sacrifice performance for.

There is a possible way to make it so that player built structures can have a distant terrain 3d mesh but there are big problems and issues associated with it-especially with multiplayer where each client would have to get that mesh added to their maps as well for them to be able to see it.

TLDR: Maybe you will get what you want.