Look How Far We've Come

Roland

20 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Probably doesn't work anymore.  MM kept dying from gravel so he removed it falling, and even tree falls don't do damage anymore.

My co-op partner kilt two zombies in our game the other day by dropping trees on them. Now I did not directly witness this, however my friend is of impeccable character and honesty so I trust his description of events.

Nevertheless, Imma go test it...

Edit to add: CONFIRMED. Trees kill zombies. Only tested on an Arlene, dunno yet how tough of a zombie a tree can take down, or whether different trees do more/less damage (one assumes the little trees do less than the big ones, but a 900HP big tree vs a 1200HP? Pine vs oak? Dunno yet.)

On 5/24/2020 at 12:21 PM, Boidster said:

My co-op partner kilt two zombies in our game the other day by dropping trees on them. Now I did not directly witness this, however my friend is of impeccable character and honesty so I trust his description of events.

Nevertheless, Imma go test it...

Edit to add: CONFIRMED. Trees kill zombies. Only tested on an Arlene, dunno yet how tough of a zombie a tree can take down, or whether different trees do more/less damage (one assumes the little trees do less than the big ones, but a 900HP big tree vs a 1200HP? Pine vs oak? Dunno yet.)

Weird, I have tried several times with no luck.  Good to reaffirm that I just suck. :)

It is not 100% even on a direct hit. I did not do a detailed enough test to see if Arlene still took some damage in the tests where she survived. But on several tests she got squished dead. I learned that AI needs to be turned on in order for it to work. I tried numerous times just spawning her in with AI off and then felling a tree on her head, but it just bounced off of her. So I had to cut the tree down to the last hit, then toggle AI on and quickly drop the tree.

3 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Fair change imo, dropping equipped items in combat is so infuriating

It is a fair change but Guppy’s point was that when Madmole plays the game he makes changes based on his own preferences. That’s great if your preferences match up with his but not happy days when they don’t. 

In my own case that happens with XP. He loves farming XP and likes seeing the notification of how much XP he gets. When he can kill multiple enemies with a grenade and then sees an XP gain in the 14k range he is ecstatic. I, on the other hand, feel the opposite about XP and would love at the very least if that bottom right notification could be toggled off. I hate that it is also an indicator of actual zombie death— which is another preference difference between us: He hates when zombie death is ambiguous. He wants it telegraphed in very obvious impossible to miss ways to the player. I like it when you don’t know if they are truly dead or not. 

Since Madmole makes changes based on his preferences my only recourse is to mod. 

26 minutes ago, Roland said:

It is a fair change but Guppy’s point was that when Madmole plays the game he makes changes based on his own preferences. That’s great if your preferences match up with his but not happy days when they don’t. 

In my own case that happens with XP. He loves farming XP and likes seeing the notification of how much XP he gets. When he can kill multiple enemies with a grenade and then sees an XP gain in the 14k range he is ecstatic. I, on the other hand, feel the opposite about XP and would love at the very least if that bottom right notification could be toggled off. I hate that it is also an indicator of actual zombie death— which is another preference difference between us: He hates when zombie death is ambiguous. He wants it telegraphed in very obvious impossible to miss ways to the player. I like it when you don’t know if they are truly dead or not. 

Since Madmole makes changes based on his preferences my only recourse is to mod. 

I'm disappointed in you Rolland.  All that and no link to your mod page? 🤣

On 5/24/2020 at 12:43 AM, Guppycur said:

Probably doesn't work anymore.  MM kept dying from gravel so he removed it falling, and even tree falls don't do damage anymore.  Unfortunate side effect of MM sucking is that if something kills him he removes it from the game.  I'll be amazed if dart traps can blow gyro's anymore. 

Hell, he once had the drop key remapped because he dropped his bow.  😃

Yes, it's sad. Bt it's true.

i think...... this is called - "Bad design" ;)

16 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Weird, I have tried several times with no luck.  Good to reaffirm that I just suck. :)

Yes, indeed-trees can still kill zombies now.... but this has been reworked so that it can no longer be practically used. 

In this kind, this feature does not make sense.

On 5/23/2020 at 11:43 PM, Guppycur said:

Hell, he once had the drop key remapped because he dropped his bow.  😃

Hmm, obviously MM doesn't accidentially hit ungrown (already harvested) plants when trying to harvest crops and therefore would reintroduce picking up grown plants with E instead of hitting them? (Imho picking them up with E may also use stamina, but at least you will not accidentially hit anything else around you don't want to hit).

Slight tangent to that.  I actually wish grass didn't have colliders at all.  Would save a lot of headaches from block placement to crawler hitting, and they could use bushes as a better way to get plant fiber. 

Plus, all of those colliders out in the world... Think of the performance gain!  :)

16 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Nothing.  It would have no negative effects on the game like it does now.

Okay, this is likely me being a bit stupid about the meaning of 'collider'. I had thought that a collider was an invisible model of a block which defined the volume which could be hit by things (and filterable, as with iron bars' collider not affecting projectiles). If you swing and hit the volume defined by the collider then you hit the block and events unfold accordingly. In this case, the scraggly crap grass gets 'mowed' by my fist. In the case of potato sprouts the collider is roughly the size of Higashi Tower, so just swing anywhere in the vicinity and you'll destroy the plant.

If the grass has no collider, I thought that'd mean it's effectively immune from being hit. Like the branches and leaves of trees are. And that I'd not be able to mow the grass any more (except maybe by just digging up all the dirt and replacing it). Is that not true?

37 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

No you're right.  I just see it as a good thing.  Having no collider would also mean you have no reason to mow.  Unless you just do it for looks.  

Looks, and so I can see those crawlers, and/or snakes.

just ignore me, just letting off unnecessary steam that has nothing to do with the post. Great video and nice to see how far the game has come.

again not hating... but this is again the perfect example of what i mean. Basic features like a somewhat storydriven thing doesnt exist... other survivors dont exist... animal farming doesnt and will never exist and so on

:D
A lot of depth is missing.
They added small features, but overall, it is still the same base game :D
The real excitement of maybe taming animals... of building a survivor outpost and so on... you know... the long term stuff... is still not in.

9 hours ago, Darthjake said:

Looks, and so I can see those crawlers, and/or snakes.

Yes. I want a clear line of sight for 50 blocks in all directions around my base. Trees, boulders, grass - it all gets dealt with. Now, if they were to make a "mown grass" terrain block, I might even dig up the ground and place down some nice green grass. Maybe a shrubbery. One that looks nice, but not too expensive. And then I will cut down the mightiest tree on the map with...A HERRING!

I guess that will have to wait until the fishing enhancement.

/Ni!

Archived