Jump to content
Worrun

[Guide] How to reset regions (parts of the map)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

- ALWAYS MAKE A BACK UP OF YOUR GAME FILES BEFORE MAKING CHANGES YOU ARE NOT SURE OF -

 

- Backstory (not important)

  • I recently found myself wishing to reset a few regions/chunks on my server, as I had salvaged all of the vehicles and was quickly running out of parts/gas, I set off on a journey to find out how to do this, in the current patch.
  • After 4 days of hard searching, posting to the forums and reddit, I finally had a reply from an Official QA tester of the 7d2d game, so I am here to share our combined knowledge in hopes to help out those wishing to do the same.

 

- How to reset regions (this is what you came for)

  • First off, you will need console access on the server you wish to perform this on.
  • Start off by pressing F1 to bring up the console menu, and typing "dm" to enable Debug Mode.
  • Now press F3 to open up the Debug Screen, followed by your inventory key (default is TAB) to enable your Mouse Cursor.
  • It will bring up a menu window with various details and settings on the left side of your screen, navigate to "CH" at the top and check the box, it should now look like this:

7689376a149a3e507d21c5c5949c62a9.png

 

  • You will now be able to see the "Chunk" section at the bottom, see the last part of the first line, for example, mine is: "Region: r.-2.-3" that is the region I am currently in.
  • Now, go to the area of your base and start at one corner, leave some space (about 10 blocks) around the area you wish to save, take note of the Region.
  • Then, simple run a square/circle around your base, ensuring that the Region doesn't change, if it doesn't, then that single Region File is the file that contains the area data that your base is stored in. (if the Region does change, take not of both [or more] Regions and save a backup of all of those files)
  • Once you've done this, and you are confident that you know which Region your base is in, you can close the game and shut down the server.
  • Then head to "C:\Users\Admin 1991\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\<WORLD NAME>\<SEED>\Region" (world name and seed will be different depending on what you have set it to.
  • This folder will contain a Region File for every region that currently exists in your world save (note that the game only creates a region file when you have visited that region, they are generated upon discovery, so the number of files will vary) 

39b3e46546d9092b1b25c0edd2795b3a.png

 

  • Simply delete all of the region (7RG FILES) in this folder apart from the ones you wish to keep (for example, where your base is located) and it will reset every region that has been deleted.
  • Start up your world, log in to the game and there you go; a fresh new world, but with whatever you wanted to keep intact, intact.

 

P.S. Likewise, you can simply find the region in-game that you wish to reset and delete that single file, to reset a single region, the guide above is more about resetting the entire world apart from a certain region

You will notice a lot more roaming animals and zombies at first, this is a good sign that it has worked.

 

Any questions, please feel free to ask me below, this is my first guide and I've only carried this out twice myself but it has worked perfectly fine both times without isssue.

 

Cheers

Edited by Worrun (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added to the tutorials thread. Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It works, just note that the regions are very large.

 

I saved my last base, and it also saved the areas nearby I dug up,  and the first horde base I built in the nearby town.

 

Also, any looted buildings etc, remain looted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

It works, just note that the regions are very large.

 

I saved my last base, and it also saved the areas nearby I dug up,  and the first horde base I built in the nearby town.

 

Also, any looted buildings etc, remain looted.

I'm not quite certain on the exact size of regions so I missed that detail out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was surprised at how big it was.  I didn't measure how many blocks/meters.

(I'll take a look tonight and edit this for a rough idea)

 

EDIT: appears to be 510m x 510m    so not small

Edited by canadianbluebeer (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, canadianbluebeer said:

I was surprised at how big it was.  I didn't measure how many blocks/meters.

(I'll take a look tonight and edit this for a rough idea)

That would be great, thanks

Edited by Worrun (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also measured it to be around 500 metres square on an 8K map. I would doubt it differs for other map sizes.

 

Thanks Worrun for doing the work and writing it up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, canadianbluebeer said:

I was surprised at how big it was.  I didn't measure how many blocks/meters.

(I'll take a look tonight and edit this for a rough idea)

 

EDIT: appears to be 510m x 510m    so not small

 

On 5/23/2020 at 6:09 AM, gmecbr said:

I also measured it to be around 500 metres square on an 8K map. I would doubt it differs for other map sizes.

 

Thanks Worrun for doing the work and writing it up.

Great, thanks guys. I may look in to making a "reset a chunk" guide too if there's any need for it, and it's possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post literally saved hours and hours of gameplay for me...

 

I experienced a BSOD crash today which led to a NRE "Object reference not set.." / corrupted save file.   I stupidly did not have a back up for my main save (tough lesson to learn, but i will never make that mistake again!).

 

Well I managed to repair the main.ttw and main.ttw.bak files by copying them over from a same world new save... so yea I lost all of my character progress and the best of the best gear I made/found, BUT using this workaround I managed to reset the actual world POIs while still saving all of my base progress, my massive farm, all of my stores of stashed gear, weapons, goods and everything else I had at my base.  

 

So yes, I'm essentially starting a fresh lvl 1, but with my bad ass base, and all of the bells and whistles of my original character !  

 

Thanks for taking the time to post this workaround !

Edited by Hardside (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, Hardside said:

This post literally saved hours and hours of gameplay for me...

 

I experienced a BSOD crash today which led to a NRE "Object reference not set.." / corrupted save file.   I stupidly did not have a back up for my main save (tough lesson to learn, but i will never make that mistake again!).

 

Well I managed to repair the main.ttw and main.ttw.bak files by copying them over from a same world new save... so yea I lost all of my character progress and the best of the best gear I made/found, BUT using this workaround I managed to reset the actual world POIs while still saving all of my base progress, my massive farm, all of my stores of stashed gear, weapons, goods and everything else I had at my base.  

 

So yes, I'm essentially starting a fresh lvl 1, but with my bad ass base, and all of the bells and whistles of my original character !  

 

Thanks for taking the time to post this workaround !

You're very welcome. I literally spent 10 hours or so trying to figure it out and by the end, I knew, that others would have the same issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...