Jump to content
PandaTea

Need Help,Dedicated server bloodmoon FPS heavily drop

Recommended Posts

I`m having a dedicated server for myself and my friends.Normally,we are about 4-6 people playing the same time on the server.When there are few zombies in the server or in player`s view, we`ll have a good fps value about 40-120 with different machines.

But!!! When the days come to about 20th or later,every horde time we are both sufferring from the low fps count,in the good machine,it`s about 40-60,others only can get 0-30 fps.

So, can I get some solutions to solve this problem? Or,is there a way to impove every player`s fps count when the bloodmoon comes.

Also,I really want to know the reason that cause this situation happened again and again.Is there a way to change it by myself?

Do I need to upgreate my machine?

 

Dedicated server`s system information:

cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz,2501 Mhz,2  core,4 processors

ram:16G

OP:Microsoft Windows 10 professional 10.0.17763

gpu:Radeon (TM) HD 8670M

network:500MB download,100MB upload

 

Client`s system infomation:

cpu:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz,3301 Mhz,4  cpu, 4 processors

 

ram:16G

OP:Microsoft Windows 10 professional 10.0.17763

gpu:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

network:lan to the server

 

My own client will only get 20-30 fps when the bloodmoon comes.

help,please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The CPU of you server is to weak. Just take a look at it during a bloodmoon, it will be at 100% all the time. Additionally if this is a laptop, the cpu might be throttled by temperature additionally. That draws down the performance on every client.

Otherwise you could reduce the amount of zombies to improve performance.

 

I'm running a server on a Xeon E3-1225v3 (4 cores, 4 threads, 3,6Ghz) and it still bottlenecks on later bloodmoons (or if you let collapse a structure).

 

Also your client with i5-4590 is not the most powerfull cpu nowadays and from the performance comparable to my Xeon i'm running the dedicated server on. Clients can't run faster then the server provides the data. So if the server limits to e.g. 40fps on your i5 you will still get 40fps, but others with even slower CPUs will still get even less fps.

Zombie (AI) and structural integrity are very cpu intensive, so in this case your gpu can not do much.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to Nomad, I'm running on  a 3.6Ghz (I-7) and 16GB of RAM for my server. However, I have not noticed a local frame rate cap based upon my server's specs. My local video card/RAM/CPU is my only bottle neck that I am aware of. I can get well over 100 FPS if I choose to dumb down my local settings a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run client on a GTX960M (old potato gfx card) and it's usually 40FPS or so, but can dip into the mid-20's on horde night. And that is running slightly less than full screen, mid- to high settings. Potato is as potato does. If I actually run the client on the server (Core i7 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Radeon 560 (semi-potato)), it performs better even though it's all on one box. Sadly, the PC room is not available for late-night gaming so I gotta use the potato laptop.

 

To OP I say, turn down the settings a smidge, maybe try a bit less than full screen. You can probably get into the 30-40 range for horde night. But that GTX 970 is a limiting component. Six years old now. I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

The CPU of you server is to weak. Just take a look at it during a bloodmoon, it will be at 100% all the time. Additionally if this is a laptop, the cpu might be throttled by temperature additionally. That draws down the performance on every client.

Otherwise you could reduce the amount of zombies to improve performance.

 

I'm running a server on a Xeon E3-1225v3 (4 cores, 4 threads, 3,6Ghz) and it still bottlenecks on later bloodmoons (or if you let collapse a structure).

 

Also your client with i5-4590 is not the most powerfull cpu nowadays and from the performance comparable to my Xeon i'm running the dedicated server on. Clients can't run faster then the server provides the data. So if the server limits to e.g. 40fps on your i5 you will still get 40fps, but others with even slower CPUs will still get even less fps.

Zombie (AI) and structural integrity are very cpu intensive, so in this case your gpu can not do much.

I`m  totally new here!thx for the reply!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i used to run linux dedicated server for A18.4 on Thinkpad E560 laptop with dual core i5-6200u, 16GB ram and sata ssd. For two players it wasn't enough,

Edited by Michu (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 8:03 AM, Boidster said:

I run client on a GTX960M (old potato gfx card) and it's usually 40FPS or so, but can dip into the mid-20's on horde night. And that is running slightly less than full screen, mid- to high settings. Potato is as potato does. If I actually run the client on the server (Core i7 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Radeon 560 (semi-potato)), it performs better even though it's all on one box. Sadly, the PC room is not available for late-night gaming so I gotta use the potato laptop.

 

To OP I say, turn down the settings a smidge, maybe try a bit less than full screen. You can probably get into the 30-40 range for horde night. But that GTX 970 is a limiting component. Six years old now. I feel your pain.

🤣Potato is as potato does!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Michu said:

i used to run linux dedicated server for A18.4 on Thinkpad E560 laptop with dual core i5-6200u, 16GB ram and sata ssd. For two players it wasn't enough,

I found this game is hard to run on a laptop.I think it maybe the cpu frequency which limit the server to run faster,but you know,there are few laptop which has a high cpu frequency.So I take the Liesel Weppen`s advice,upgrade my machine.🤣🤣🤣

I think maybe the game developer can do something to make it`s easy to have fun in mutiplayer,especially the dedicated server.But it`s the alpha version,maybe they prefer add functions and foods and cloths and zombies and traders and other stuffs into the game rather than optimize this game to a stable and low-machine friendly version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can get better server performance by turning down this setting from the serverconfig.xml:

<property name="ServerMaxAllowedViewDistance"    value="12" />

 

Try value="6" and see if it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 7:02 AM, Beelzybub said:

I can get better server performance by turning down this setting from the serverconfig.xml:

<property name="ServerMaxAllowedViewDistance"    value="12" />

 

Try value="6" and see if it helps.

Does this change get a better fps,or it just reduce the memory use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess that it reduces cpu, memory, and bandwidth required by the server by reducing the view distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

I'd guess that it reduces cpu, memory, and bandwidth required by the server by reducing the view distance.

thks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...