Modding mods

Is it possible to add a mod to a mod? Scenario - I created the steel cased ammo mod and a separate mod that changes stack sizes of certain items. The steel cased ammo items only exist in the steel cased ammo mod. What I would like to do is leave the steel cased ammo mod alone, but have the ability to change the stack sizes of steel cased ammo in the stack size mod.

What I expect would happen is if I reference the Steel Cased ammo items in the stack sizes mod, I can modify certain attributes for those items. However, if the steel cased ammo mod isn't available, then a warning would show in the console that the item couldn't be found and that particular modification would be ignored.

What I've seen in cases like this is compatibility patches. So you release the stack sizes mod for the base game, and then also a patch for it that basically just a standalone mod that only modifies the stack sizes of any new items from whatever mod you're making a patch for. I'm not sure of a better way in your instance off the top of my head.

Archived