Dedicated Server Issues

Senti_Mentel

Hey guys, so obviously I am new here, but to be honest I didnt know where else to go for some help to get this thing working. I've installed the 7D2D dedicated server and configured it, game is working and accessible via LAN, but I cant seem to get it to show up in the server list, and nobody from outside my network can connect even though I've forwarded ports 26900:26902 through my router and windows firewall. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure its something simple I just cant seem to think of, lol. I've also attached the most resent log file from the server. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me.

https://pastebin.com/7VtqyJHm

You might check with a network sniffer that your ports are really visible from the internet.

Showing up on the server list is a bit complicated and problems there might have multiple causes. But the game port 26900 is easy and straightforward. Not being able to connect to your server by giving the public IP address while being able to connect locally shows a definite lack of port forwarding.

IMHO the router or the firewall is not set up correctly, it probably hasn't anything to do with the game.

Thank you for posting the log, by the way. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in there, another small indication that the problem is not with the game.

I agree, but im not sure how to get any more specific in my router or firewall. Ill try to port sniffer tomorrow and see but im almost positive its not forwarding ports correctly. My guess would be ISP but ive completely turned off any windows firewalls, added exceptions, added whats listed for the correct ports in UDP and TCP, but still no one could connect to it other them myself through the LAN connection. any specific free port sniffer you would recommend?

Sorry, I'm a linux user. I just have heard wireshark mentioned very often, this seems to be the standard on windows, probably is also free.

Your provider might only block this specific port (because of some virus using the same port for example), so you could try to move the server to some other port (and port-forward that and the 2-3 ports above that port as well).

In the FAQ it is mentioned that 26900-26903 (UDP!) is neccessary by the way, so at least for server-listing purposes you should increase the number of forwarded ports.

3 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

The game and server use 26900 by default. If you plan on running both, you need to change the dedi to something else. 26999 or whatever, and then open those ports in your firewall and router.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. You can run the server on 26900 without any issue.

OP describes the issue in the first post, and Fox already answered it. OP didn't have all of the required ports forwarded.
If that's been resolved, then we'll need more information.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. You can run the server on 26900 without any issue.

If you are on the same LAN, and trying to run a dedicated server on 26900, and play the game on a different machine at port 26900, things get goofy.

Specifically, if a user tries to connect from outside the LAN to port 26900, it won't know which machine to go to.

My understanding of what the op posted described this setup, and no one in the thread addressed this potential problem.

52 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

If you are on the same LAN, and trying to run a dedicated server on 26900, and play the game on a different machine at port 26900, things get goofy.

Specifically, if a user tries to connect from outside the LAN to port 26900, it won't know which machine to go to.

My understanding of what the op posted described this setup, and no one in the thread addressed this potential problem.

That would only cause an issue if you're hosting on that port, and then try playing a separate multiplayer game from your local client.

Check your ISP. If you are trying to connect with IPv4 from the outside and your ISP applies "carrier grade NAT" (aka DSLite) it will never work.

It's a quite common issue in germany and there especially from the TV-cable ISPs. I don't know how common this is in other countries.

18 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

That would only cause an issue if you're hosting on that port, and then try playing a separate multiplayer game from your local client.

Thanks for this info, I thought that just launching the game would take port 26900. So, it only takes the port after you've launched and then selected "Continue game" or "New Game" from the Menu.

Archived