Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
KrazyKrampus

KrazyKrampus

Oh this is fantastic, finding this thread. Looks like a little of pot calling the kettle black. Everyone, and I truly mean everyone in this modding community (including @StompyNZ) I think you need to calm down stop taking open source 'theft' things so personally. I'm not condoning it, since for the record I want to say that I am not impressed with the actions of this Prism fellow either. Obfuscating/encrypting code for no real good reason or benefit to the public goes against the best interest in the community. There's a lot of child's play in the software engineering community, that I know for sure. I can see all points of this issue. Bottom line is, you open something up to the community, and if you especially license it as something that does not require attribution, and then taketh that away from the community, I can't have an honest ounce of respect. Is your pride hurt that much by some low-life 'stealing code'? I mean let's be real here, the *real* producers are going to be recognized in the community, regardless of what a few little @%$#s want to do to our stuff.

Take the higher road, don't hurt the rest of the community by doing closed minded stunts like closing off source and access to a publicly and potentially community supported mod. This goes for open source software in general. If every goddamn open source developer on GitHub decided they were cheated because someone 'stole their work', the open source community would be a pretty lonely place and you wouldn't have a lot of the great tools at your disposal like you do today.

And yeah, I find the response on the issue I raised with your own Server Management mod a little bit, immature. It _is_ an abuse of GitHub to use their resources for serving content and then double-down with this type of response. You say the project is "discontinued" but you are fixing this thing? Wouldn't it be easier to redirect your efforts to work on this new project instead of stripping away the source code to a project where the community can make the improvements?

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompanySM/issues/63#issuecomment-693280089

I can't be the only one who feels this way either. At least, I would hope not. That's not how progress is made on projects, especially those denoted as open source. I'm quite disappointed with the closed mindedness of the "highly respected members" of the mod community that 7 Days has seemed to attract. I love this game and its modding extent and to see some of the senior modders in this community take things so personally with regard to attribution, and then hurt the rest of the community by pulling regressive publicity stunts is disheartening. So while @bobrossmay have taken this out of context, I'm a bit on his side with this matter and I can see his POV above all the others and their stark immaturity.

KrazyKrampus

KrazyKrampus

Oh this is fantastic, finding this thread. Looks like a little of pot calling the kettle black. @StompyNZ I think you need to calm down stop taking open source 'theft' things so personally. For the record I want to say that I am not impressed with the actions of this Prism fellow either. Obfuscating/encrypting code for no real good reason or benefit to the public goes against the best interest in the community. There's a lot of child's play in the software engineering community, that I know for sure. I can see all points of this issue. Bottom line is, you open something up to the community, and if you especially license it as something that does not require attribution, and then taketh that away from the community, I can't have an honest ounce of respect. Is your pride hurt that much by some low-life 'stealing code'? I mean let's be real here, the *real* producers are going to be recognized in the community, regardless of what a few little @%$#s want to do to our stuff.

Take the higher road, don't hurt the rest of the community by doing closed minded stunts like closing off source and access to a publicly and potentially community supported mod. This goes for open source software in general. If every goddamn open source developer on GitHub decided they were cheated because someone 'stole their work', the open source community would be a pretty lonely place and you wouldn't have a lot of the great tools at your disposal like you do today.

And yeah, I find the response on the issue I raised with your own Server Management mod a little bit, immature. It _is_ an abuse of GitHub to use their resources for serving content and then double-down with this type of response. You say the project is "discontinued" but you are fixing this thing? Wouldn't it be easier to redirect your efforts to work on this new project instead of stripping away the source code to a project where the community can make the improvements?

I can't be the only one who feels this way either. At least, I would hope not. That's not how progress is made on projects, especially those denoted as open source.

KrazyKrampus

KrazyKrampus

Oh this is fantastic, finding this thread. Looks like a little of pot calling the kettle black. @StompyNZ I think you need to calm down stop taking open source 'theft' things so personally.

And yeah, I find your response on the issue I raised with your own Server Management mod a little bit, immature. It is an abuse of GitHub to use their resources for serving content and then double-down with this type of response. You say the project is "discontinued" but you are fixing this thing? Wouldn't it be easier to redirect your efforts to work on this new project instead of stripping away the source code to a project where the community can make the improvements?