what to do your first few nights?

ghostshott

Well...I was assuming going out at night healthy not going out at night at less than 90%. :)

Of course, if you are talking about doing some POI infiltration during your first couple nights and running into POI sleeper vultures-- that is a bird of a different feather. Those can tear you up during the daytime.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Well...I was assuming going out at night healthy not going out at night at less than 90%. :)

Of course, if you are talking about doing some POI infiltration during your first couple nights and running into POI sleeper vultures-- that is a bird of a different feather. Those can tear you up during the daytime.

You mean the badminton birdies?

Iron club or baseball bat will take care of'em.

(so will a pistol or shotgun. or ak, or.. ok, any gun) :p

Still does not take into account running 50-100m with increased spawns, but escaping from one or two zombies coming from the same direction should not be much of a problem if you're naked.

That depends on which zombie is chasing you. Different zombies have different base speeds. A cop zombie you can outrun even at nightmare speed because he is rather slow. But a biker zombie is just as fast as you on sprint speed. And on nightmare speed the biker is even faster than you.

That depends on which zombie is chasing you. Different zombies have different base speeds. A cop zombie you can outrun even at nightmare speed because he is rather slow. But a biker zombie is just as fast as you on sprint speed. And on nightmare speed the biker is even faster than you.

Well, I did say that I tested several different types of zombies, and only presented a couple of different ones. I did not test Nightmare speed, since OP appeared to be asking about first few days in game for a new player who presumably wouldn't put it on Nightmare, but I will give that a try and get back here.

The Biker has the same aggro speed as most other template zombies (ones which use the zombieTemplateMale settings). The feral version is the same as other feral zombies as well. So a Biker and an Arlene ought to have about the same speed ranges. It is RNG driven, though, so even between Bikers you may see different speeds.

-------------------------------------

Edited to add more testing!

This time I did Arlenes, Bikers, and Cops, normal and Feral versions, on Nightmare mode. I only tested a full-out run until the end of stamina. And to Roland's point about armor in the first few days, I tested with just the chest piece.

[TABLE=border: 1, cellpadding: 3]

[TR]

[TD]NAKED[/TD]

[TD]Arlene[/TD]

[TD]Biker[/TD]

[TD]Cop[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]After 100 stamina run, Normal[/TD]

[TD]Still chasing, 10m behind[/TD]

[TD]Lost at ~50m (but he did spit at me)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]After 100 stamina run, Feral[/TD]

[TD]Lost at ~80m[/TD]

[TD]Lost at ~90m[/TD]

[TD]Lost at ~40m (also spit first)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LEATHER CHEST ARMOR[/TD]

[TD]Arlene[/TD]

[TD]Biker[/TD]

[TD]Cop[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]After 100 stamina run, Normal[/TD]

[TD]Still chasing, ~7m behind[/TD]

[TD]Lost at ~50m (spit again)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Finally, I took the fastest zombie - the Biker - and looked at how much armor I could add before he would just catch me while running. The answer is two pieces of leather. Just having Chest + Legs was enough to make running from a Biker futile on Nightmare mode.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

On the first day, I usually find me a parking lot, build a small 5x5x3 flagstone room w/bars for windows, plop a claim block down, build a campfire, and work on whatever I have from the day's lootings. If I've got extra time, I might do some clay gathering (since it's mind-numbing). I'm usually not doing night POIs ... unless I get really lucky with loot, until day 4-5.

One thing I sometimes like to do is to start a smaller POI at like 21:00 hours and go clear the zombies while ignoring 100% of the looting and scrapping, then when you're at the end it's usually just hit nightfall so I then go back through and loot/scrap literally everything inside. If you get a trader quest for the POI then all the better. I also like to save up my points during the day then decide on where to spend them during the night instead of wasting a couple of hours doing it during daytime.

I also like to save up my points during the day then decide on where to spend them during the night instead of wasting a couple of hours doing it during daytime.

Ha I do that by accident more often than not. We'll head back to base at night and I'll be, "Huh, I have two skill points to spend, who knew?" I guess the level-up sound just doesn't register while we're out questin' and lootin'.

I usually try to be in an area with those large boulders (the 5-6 block high ones) and just smash out stone at night breaking them down. It's good xp, you're gonna need the stone, and it's a bit safer than being at ground level. Gather some clay during the day and just craft cobbles and get stone at night.

Edited by Soulbreeze (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Roland said:

11 months later....

Why did you necro this thread? You like the undead that much? How many pages back did you scroll to find something to respond to....?

The OP is probably a pro by now anyway...lol

I was just amazed it wasn’t a spammer that necro the thread😄

I just crouch in the corner and do nothing until I have level 5 iron tools by the 5th or 6th day. I don't have the tools to mine effectively, I have minimal food, and sub-par weaponry to defend myself with.

So I just sit in the dark and put a podcast on. No point watching paint dry in silence, even if it breaks just that little bit of immersion.

Once I get my level 5 iron tools, I mine every night from then on until the end of my game.

16 hours ago, Roland said:

11 months later....

Why did you necro this thread? You like the undead that much? How many pages back did you scroll to find something to respond to....?

The OP is probably a pro by now anyway...lol

Sorry for the double necro. Lol Perhaps I should check dates more often huh?

@Roland For unobservant people like me, is there a feature you can enable that automatically locks posts from further replies after no one has posted in said thread for x number of weeks/months?

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

@Roland, I read through some of these old posts and in one you mentioned something about being less than 90% health which I took from the context that that is when vultures will attack you. From my understanding it was if your health was 99% or less they would attack

14 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

Holy crap.

Totally did not see the date lol.  My bad, sorry 😛

In your defense, I think this was one of the threads that were actually necro'd by that spammer dude a couple of days back. So it would have been on the front page even after a mod whacked that dude's post.