Colonies, npc's

naru12

Hello everyone, First of all, I'm sorry if the I deas I have, have been posted before or have already been told they won't be implemented. I am new to the form and I coudn't find any information about it. With that being said I've been playing 7 day's to die for some time now with my friends and we really like the game. How ever as we were playing we came to the conclusion the game would be even more great if there were NPC's in the game, or maybe even Colonies of other survivors. With other survivors it would be possible to trade items that you can't get other wise, or are hard to get. Things like that. Don't get me wrong I like it how it's hard to find items, I love to just scavenge around and hope for good loot. But to have colonies that you can trade with, or maybe even try to raid in hopes for good loot would be awesome. There's also the possibility to hide from the zombies if there'll be really really big hordes of zombies. Along with that you could make the NPC's raid your base so you'd need to defend from them as well. That way you'll never know if you'll have a friendly NPC or not. Of course you can just play with other people and get the same results but I belief it'll be that little detail to the game that'll make the gaming experience even beter. Especially for the people who like to play single player. But also the people who just like to play with friends and battle the computer. I prefer to play with friends myself. Build a base get good items. But if there'd be a possibility to get raided in the main time by NPC's. Or to be able to raid an other Colonie and all that would make the game so much more fun for me, and my way of playing this game. And if Colonie's aren't possible, maybe just a caravan of NPC's that travle through the map. Or NPC's that get dropped by the airplains. That way you'd also have to fight over the airplaine drop's. But I could go on for some time like this, I hope I made my idea understandable. If there are questions I'd love to hear them. Or other idea's that'd make this even better. Or Maybe even make me rethink the whole idea as to why it can't or shouldn't be in the game. Kind regards, Morrison. PS, sorry if my english is lacking. English isn't my native tongue. [B]PPS, Okay as I was looking through the form I just found out that these things will probably be implemented in the game. I am sorry that I missed that piece of information, who I could miss it really is a mystery to me. My sinsere appologies.[/B]

NPCs could be interesting, but they would need to have a purpose. I'm thinking as survivors. Think of a scenario, like this. You find a survivor in a house or hiding someplace. When you encounter one, they ask to come with you. You can say yes, or no. If you you click yes, they will follow you around. You can "plant" them in place if you want, for example, you run with them back to your base, and "plant" them down. They will stay in your base, or whichever place you put them. The advantage might be something like - all your crafting timers reduce down 30% while you are in 2 blocks distances of them (as if they are helping you craft). The downside would be that while you are running them to safety, more zombies want to get you both, like they are attracting more attention. Also, they will consume food and water, so you will need extra supply to sustain them.

Im hoping there will be a system to spawn in survivors. Maube one day a survivor or group of survivors come tunning from a horde. They can get hurt or infected,possibly later on posing a threath. Not just all npcs holding up in bases or just standing around. Generally hope that all interaction with npc wont be `fetch me this` and `go serch the map for my family`. Also i hope they can somewhat fend for themselves so you dont have to constantly babysit and be the only one contributing.. With a game as good as this one i woul be sad to meet nothing but invinciible ghoust-people placed at certain places giving missions. ..Better than nothing, but disappointing. Let this not become world of warcraft.. (which i assume is somewhat like that..)

Hello everyone, Sorry for the late reply but I've been really busy and havend had the time to post a reply. As for the ideas writen above. I do not wish it to become a world of warcraft. In a game like this I hope for a good part of interaction with the NPCs. It would be usefull if you could get NPC's that helped you out with building your fort. Or maybe help defend it so there can be bigger hords of zombies. Of cource I hope that if that were the case, that it wouldn't be the only way of defending your fort. I belief in this game and have high hopes for it. Right now there's a lot of ways the game can grow. But from what I see on the form's it's not that high of a chance it'll become a world of warcraft, in my oppinion. Though quests may be handy in getting some extra play time, I do not belief it'll be that much of an eddit to the game. The way I see the game is to have all freedom. So though quests could be an easy way to get items to maybe trade, or get better tools it should not be the main thing of the game. Freedom of choice is, and should always be the main focus of this game. As I belief that, there should never be NPC's that are invurnable. If there will be NPC's in the game they should, I belief at least, always be able to die. If that means you can't complete a quest or continue the normal way of the story. Then there should be an other way of obtaining the information needen. A book for example. Maybe you just need to start wander around the map to find the clue's needed to finish the quest. But the NPC's should be able to die. As to the NPC's needing to be usefull I do agree on that. NPC's that add absolutelyn othing to the game but there being NPC's seems completely pointless to me. The idea of NPC's being able to speed up crafting is an interesting idea. But I blief it should be more than just having an NPC in your base and the Crafting will be faster. Maybe more like you need to assign the NPC to a certain task for it to be of any bennofit. So if you have an NPC helping with creating wooden things, then the time of the stone or iron items isn't shortend. If that were the case how ever you could add a sort of skill tree for the NPC's. Though I don't know if the player should be able to change these things, it would add to the game. And NPC could have been a carpenter and thanks to that he's able to build a chair for example faster then an iron pickaxe. Though there should be a downside to having NPC's I do not belief there should be an increased chance of zombies finding you. I personly don't like it all that much if enamy NPC's are able to find you like they have an build in radar. You could increase the zombies that pass you when there's a hord passing. But then again that would mean the NPC's need to help fighting. So with that in mind I'm not all that sure if that's a solution. Maybe the NPC's just need food and water. That way you need to provide for them and yourself. Because you need to find more food you lose time on other things, like mining for ore's or building your fort. Ofcourse if you're with multiple human players that becomes less of an dissadvantage. But at that point you can increase the amount of zombies in a zombie hord. If multiple human players are together with in a certain amount of range then the zombie hord increases in size. That being said I don't think an NPC should just stay faithfull by yourside just because you accepted them. I think the NPC's should be able to wander around freely as well. So That if you accept an NPC in your bace they can dissapear because they ran off. Maybe they took some of your stuff with them. That would make you think twice about the pro's and cons. Why an NPC would leave you could simply be because they wanted to steal from you. Or maybe because they don't belief your fort is safe enough. That way you can add bandits to the game and as I said before, make the game have more enemys then just the zombies. Who in their way are dangerous enough. But what would you do when you have a group of bandits infront of you when they have crosbows or guns. You can just give them your things and hope they'll leave you alone. But you could also try to run or kill them. Maybe you want to join them and let them lead you to their base. Then you can stay with them and rob other people or you could sneak away from their base wile taking their stash of ammo. Really the possibilatys are endless. The only problem is the amount of time it would take to program. I belief all this is possible, but it will take time and support of the comunity. The thing with programming is that anything is possible if you're able to put the time in it. At least that's how I see it. I hope I've been able to spark the imagination of the people reading this. As I said I belief in this game and it's a great game. All that can happen is for it to become even better. And it will become even beter with the comunity helping on ideas and supporting the devolepment team. Kind regards, Morrison

Archived