general Questions about A18

The Loooser

First TFP needs to add cats to containers, then we can talk about quantum effects

And this, boys and girls, is how the zombie apocalypse got started. Schrodinger threw a quantum cat into a box, found it to be both dead and alive, and here we are...ready to start the next American Civil War over toilet paper. Personally, I'm siding with whoever controls the Cottonelle.

And this, boys and girls, is how the zombie apocalypse got started. Schrodinger threw a quantum cat into a box, found it to be both dead and alive, and here we are...ready to start the next American Civil War over toilet paper. Personally, I'm siding with whoever controls the Cottonelle.

This also suggests a way to end the apocalypse. We just have to collapse the wave function on zombies. It seems posters in the Dev Diary are already trying this by inspecting the new Arlene in hairsplitting detail

Next question is:

1.) what is this?

The yellow thing on the map. I'm doing a FETCH & CLEAR Quest.

Does it reveal where the last Zombie is remaining?

What happens if there are 2 last Zombies - does it not appear then until the second last is dead? So it is like a help to finalize the quest, but what if I cant find the last 5 of them? Or does it work different?

1399068827_wasisdes.png.f90b9a6b2c6dff458c1fe04f10d2e766.png

WTF why is this so small? How are you supposed to see anything here?

2.) Then why are SOMETIMES enemies red marked on the compass when doing a CLEAR Quest, but only SOMETIMES. I enter a room and no zombies are marked, then I enter the next room, then all are red on the minimap, then the next one they are not. Why?

Next question is:

1.) what is this? The yellow thing on the map. I'm doing a FETCH & CLEAR Quest.

Well as you noticed your picture is very tiny so I can't quite see what you're pointing at. You might want to upload it to Imgur or Dropbox or something and then link to it. Or attache the .jpg directly to your post perhaps.

During any fetch quest, there ought to be a yellow/orange marker on your compass showing where the supplies are. It will have a little up or down arrow on it if it's above/below you in the POI and it will start flashing when you are very close.

2.) Then why are SOMETIMES enemies red marked on the compass when doing a CLEAR Quest, but only SOMETIMES. I enter a room and no zombies are marked, then I enter the next room, then all are red on the minimap, then the next one they are not. Why?

I'm pretty sure sleepers are not marked. Active zombies will be marked in red.

Well the picture is actually not small, it is 936 x 500, but it seems that the attachement function may be trash - I uploaded another picture and it was just as tiny Oô

So here is that picture:

wasisdes.png

So do you know what that yellow thing is? It is not the item that I need to retrieve. Also you said that non-sleepers are marked red. But when I enter the building in the beginning I do not see any red markers. If they are not sleepers then they would be marked as soon as I start the quest - and this would mean that entering the shotgun messia facility I would get 100 red dots on the map, but I get 0. It's just when I enter a room. When I enter other rooms then they zombies mostly dont cause a red marker. This makes me thinking as if it would be just random...

the yellow marker is a sleeping enemy, it'll turn red when it "wakes" even if it doesn't know where you are (in my experience at least that what it is) I have never seen a sleeper in sleep state as a red dot, just yellow...maybe a bug, maybe not

I always thought that the yellow dot was your final enemy. I don't think sleepers show up at all. Also, the line underneath the yellow dot tells you the enemy is below you. When you get horizontal to that enemy that line will disappear. If you descend too far and end up below the enemy, the line will appear above the dot.

I learned from this thread, thanks! I now remember seeing yellow dots (not the yellow satchel icon), but didn't remember when they popped up. We just did a clear & fetch quest the other night, too - we must've just blazed through the POI without me ever even looking at the HUD.

In my games, sleepers are marked with a red dot but it shows up when you sort of trigger their presence, for the lack of a better phrase to describe it, when you enter their zone.

Similar thing seems to happen with the yellow dot, pointing you to the last trigger spot where sleepers still await. I had it turn into up to 4 individual dots upon entering a room.

TileEntityLootContainer class:

public override void UpdateTick(World world)
{
base.UpdateTick(world);
if (GamePrefs.GetInt(EnumGamePrefs.LootRespawnDays) > 0 && !this.bPlayerStorage && this.bTouched && this.IsEmpty())
{
int num = GameUtils.WorldTimeToHours(this.worldTimeTouched);
num += GameUtils.WorldTimeToDays(this.worldTimeTouched) * 24;
if ((GameUtils.WorldTimeToHours(world.worldTime) + GameUtils.WorldTimeToDays(world.worldTime) * 24 - num) / 24 < GamePrefs.GetInt(EnumGamePrefs.LootRespawnDays))
{
if (this.entList == null)
{
this.entList = new List<Entity>();
}
else
{
this.entList.Clear();
}
world.GetEntitiesInBounds(typeof(EntityPlayer), new Bounds(base.ToWorldPos().ToVector3(), Vector3.one * 16f), this.entList);
if (this.entList.Count > 0)
{
this.worldTimeTouched = world.worldTime;
this.setModified();
return;
}
return;
}
else
{
this.bWasTouched = false;
this.bTouched = false;
this.setModified();
}
}
}

The part that answers the question:

world.GetEntitiesInBounds(typeof(EntityPlayer), new Bounds(base.ToWorldPos().ToVector3(), Vector3.one * 16f), this.entList);
{
this.setModified();
return;
}

So the worldTimeTouched of the lootcontainer (which is used to check if loot should respawn) is set again when an entity of type EntityPlayer is within the bounds of the lootcontainer + 16 blocks.

Cheers

TileEntityLootContainer class:

public override void UpdateTick(World world)
{
base.UpdateTick(world);
if (GamePrefs.GetInt(EnumGamePrefs.LootRespawnDays) > 0 && !this.bPlayerStorage && this.bTouched && this.IsEmpty())
{
int num = GameUtils.WorldTimeToHours(this.worldTimeTouched);
num += GameUtils.WorldTimeToDays(this.worldTimeTouched) * 24;
if ((GameUtils.WorldTimeToHours(world.worldTime) + GameUtils.WorldTimeToDays(world.worldTime) * 24 - num) / 24 < GamePrefs.GetInt(EnumGamePrefs.LootRespawnDays))
{
if (this.entList == null)
{
this.entList = new List<Entity>();
}
else
{
this.entList.Clear();
}
{
this.setModified();
return;
}
return;
}
else
{
this.bWasTouched = false;
this.bTouched = false;
this.setModified();
}
}
}

The part that answers the question:

{
this.setModified();
return;
}

So the worldTimeTouched of the lootcontainer (which is used to check if loot should respawn) is set again when an entity of type EntityPlayer is within the bounds of the lootcontainer + 16 blocks.

Cheers

Did that change in A18? I think it used to be like 6 instead of 16?

Cheers

That jibes exactly with testing, but maybe we should rephrase "within the bounds of the container + 16 blocks". For practical purposes, the player must be within 8 blocks of the container.

Docs for the Bounds(center, size) constructor say:

Create a new Bounds with the given center and total size. Bound extents will be half the given size.

The code says to create a new bounding box with center = 'base' of the container and box size = 16. Actual extents (i.e. the respawn reset trigger distance) from the center will be 8 in each direction. The total size of the cube is 16 blocks on a side, with the container at its center.

I'm guessing that the occasional off-center results during testing were due to the 'base' of containers (mailboxes, in the case of my tests) not necessarily being in the center of the block. Or due to me not standing technically within 8 blocks (floating point vector distance) even though I was standing on the 8th block according to (integer) map coordinates.

That jibes exactly with testing, but maybe we should rephrase "within the bounds of the container + 16 blocks". For practical purposes, the player must be within 8 blocks of the container.

Docs for the Bounds(center, size) constructor say:

The code says to create a new bounding box with center = 'base' of the container and box size = 16. Actual extents (i.e. the respawn reset trigger distance) from the center will be 8 in each direction. The total size of the cube is 16 blocks on a side, with the container at its center.

I'm guessing that the occasional off-center results during testing were due to the 'base' of containers (mailboxes, in the case of my tests) not necessarily being in the center of the block. Or due to me not standing technically within 8 blocks (floating point vector distance) even though I was standing on the 8th block according to (integer) map coordinates.

100% correct.

Cheers

I just checked 17.4b4 and it was also 16 in that version. new Bounds(base.ToWorldPos().ToVector3(), Vector3.one * 16f)

Cheers

Yes, Boidster explained it with this post "Create a new Bounds with the given center and total size. Bound extents will be half the given size."

It felt like 6 and not 16 because it was actually 8 from the distance container.

Yes, Boidster explained it with this post "Create a new Bounds with the given center and total size. Bound extents will be half the given size."

It felt like 6 and not 16 because it was actually 8 from the distance container.

Yeps. I talked about bounds size. That 16 can be confusing. Boidster explained it better.

Cheers

So now I have some more questions:

1.) How do I get broken Glass (like the one for the Scope Mods)?

In A16 and A15 it was created in a Forge by smelting in Sand and extract it back as Glass I remember (?)

But now a Forge can not create broken Glass anymore. Can you only harvest it from Buildings?

2.) What is *Adrenaline Rush*? (20 sec buff) I get it when I shoot with a Shotgun on an entity. It can even be a dead animal. Does not even need to be killed. It seems like I can run faster, but I'm not quite sure what exact the effect is. Is not explained in menu. Oô

ARush.png

3.) How can I go to *Last Page* ? Right now in this new forum it seems that I have to switch through every page ... so this is page 4 and to get here I press NEXT, NEXT, NEXT ... is there a button instead of typing in the number in that field?

I think I found a bug:

The wrench with quality 6 is worse than the wrench with quality 5.

It just has more durability, but it actually does less damage overall, thus harvesting is actually faster / better with the Quality 5 wrench lol:

Q5:

Melee 25

Power 43

Block Damage 56

Q6:

Melee 24

Power 42

Block Damage 52 (!!! looooool)

wrench5besser.png

I think I found a bug:

The wrench with quality 6 is worse than the wrench with quality 5.

It just has more durability, but it actually does less damage overall, thus harvesting is actually faster / better with the Quality 5 wrench lol:

Q5:

Melee 25

Power 43

Block Damage 56

Q6:

Melee 24

Power 42

Block Damage 52 (!!! looooool)

wrench5besser.png

two words - Random Stats......

So now I have some more questions:

1.) How do I get broken Glass (like the one for the Scope Mods)?

a) Scrap any glass object

b) Smash any glass object (mirrors, pictures, windows, medicine cabinets, showers, etc.)

c) Smelt sand into the forge, create glass jars (or blocks), scrap glass jars (or blocks)

2.) What is *Adrenaline Rush*? (20 sec buff)

You have read Urban Combat Book #6, apparently. Read the description there.

3.) How can I go to *Last Page* ? Right now in this new forum it seems that I have to switch through every page ... so this is page 4 and to get here I press NEXT, NEXT, NEXT ... is there a button instead of typing in the number in that field?

Noooope. (Edit: not at the top of the thread, anyhow; see meganoth's post next) Entirely new forum software coming at some point, so I guess they're not going to bother re-enabling some of the features we used to have.

I think I found a bug: The wrench with quality 6 is worse than the wrench with quality 5.

Not a bug. Happens all the time due to the randomness of the Random Number Generator and the range of values TFP has allowed for the item levels. They overlap considerably. A little too much, IMO, but whattayagonnado.

Archived