Direct download server, mods.

Senzo

Hello,

When will we be able to download the mods present on the server when the client connects to the server?

For a game that wants to be "expandable" this limits the shame of not always being able to do it!

Garry's mod, Counter Strike 1.6 20 years ago, it was possible!

Too many players can not install even by following tutorials!

Some mods if not installed before arriving on the server, the client simply cannot join the server.

Please deploy this possibility!

THX.

At the moment it is (also) a security feature. Uncritical XML already gets downloaded from the server, but many mods also need library changes and those could be almost trivially used by hackers to infect your PC, they just would need to offer an open server.

Steam Workshop support will be somewhat more secure because you don't need to trust the server owner, you just need to trust the (known) mod author and there is the possibility of someone having inspected the code.

I understand what you are telling me about security, but as I said above, I have been downloading from servers like Counter Strike 1.6 for 20 years, I never cared about having a pirated file.

Anyway at worst the file will remain inactive on the pc, at best it will be deleted by windows

It is absolutely necessary to set up the system whatever the solution, leave the servers free to be able to start the download via their server and the people who decide if he accepts to receive files via the server.

Today, I would like to take advantage of a lot of magnificent decord (3D unity model) for players on my server, but this is impossible because if I put one on the server, anyone who has not downloaded it will not be able to more join us on the server ...

I play since the first day of its release at 7 days to die I see evolving a lot so, some dislike me (like the fact of no longer having to create these weapons with the parts, or any other object to degrade and we had always go get new parts to maintain the maximum quality) but hey it's another thing that I intend to return to me once again a final version.

All that to say that good ideas never arrive, while some that bring our game closer to another game (rust) take up space ...

• 7 months later...

unfortunately I will never see the day or finally we will have the right to share mods with our communities on our servers ... because you prevent us from doing so ...
I think you haven't worked on the game for years now, you just can't seem to set up a system that is simple and efficient ... mediocre ....

Not sure what's so hard about dragging a folder into another folder... That's all that is required for people to have the mods you have on the server... If you're wanting new players on the server, put a list of the mods required on the server's description or something. Steam workshop will be nice when it gets here, but it's dead simple to add a mod as it is now. If it's the DLL modded ones, there is a mod launcher that will set it all up for you.

Hello,

Thanks for your response Telric.

Know that I have been managing my server for 7 days, for more than 5 years and I can therefore tell you that yes people do not know!
Either don't know or search for the link.
Either they don't know how to install it.
Either they just don't want to do it!
And this for more than half of the players.

Then it's too easy to tell that it's up to the player to do all of this because the developers seem unwilling to work on their games!
They can add the option, and players are free to activate it or not!

this option has existed for over 20 years, cs1.5 already had it as an option! and it has allowed millions of players to experience different mods.

But here is because Mr does not want (supposedly) suddenly nobody has the right .....

To be fair, the OFFICIAL method of modding.. XPath Modlet style, DOES download all the Modlets to the client players machine... all automatically. I've been running a server for years with over 90 mods, at times more than 150 mods.. all are XML-only and all automatically download to the client player with nothing more than them connecting to the server.

When you as a server admin choose to install a mod that steps OUTSIDE the official modding path, aka.. installing a custom DLL, you cannot expect TFP to provide you an automated method for that to work within the confines of the official modding platform.

Your knowledge of a server is very limited, sorry to tell you.
I gave as an example the counter strike, which allowed garry's mods, but in reality I could have mentioned all the games under the hammer engine, which still offered the possibility of downloading mods via the server.
This has allowed millions of players to play games in the game.

Either you just don't know or your honestly greatly desired leaves dare to say direct download is not the top, it's crazy!

And yes indeed I would like to add custom unity items that provide a much more advanced game experience.

Senzo -- It seems that English is not your first language and I'm having trouble understanding you. Counter Strike is probably a bad example to point at, to compare to 7dtd. It was originally released in 1999 so has had more than 20 years to develop on their game and make multiple releases of it.

I don't disagree with your point that it would be nice if 7dtd supported more than XML in its official support to automatically download from the server. As a mod creator with dozens of modlets created, I've encountered this countless times where "it would be nice" to have this capability. But it is wrong to suggest that 7dtd doesn't have automatic download of mods, because it does support this. However, it is just limited to XML only.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, Senzo said:

I understand what you are telling me about security, but as I said above, I have been downloading from servers like Counter Strike 1.6 for 20 years, I never cared about having a pirated file.

Games using the steam workshop don't download mods from the server, but from the steam workshop. So a serverowner can't use the game to make your client download a compromised mod, because it won't load it from the server but just tries fetching it from the workshop.

There maybe games/servers that allow downloading (binary/exectuable) files from the server directly, but as you do, they just don't care. Other people do care, so does TFP.

It's also a legal issue. E.g. trackmania servers can include music files, that are downloaded to each client. I know of some serverowners in germany, that received sues, because their servers distribute copyright protected music...

BTW: When playing with friends on my modded server, i just zipped the mods used on my client and sent them the zipfile and said "just extract this in your 7d2d install directory". Works.

Archived