Creating models in current Unity

Ehvis

I have basically zero knowledge of Unity, but I wanted to check how hard it would be to create some basic asset geometry for mods. However, it turns out that the assetbundles that are used have been deprecated since 18.2 and that you can't export those any more. The Unity docs refer to a demo package that includes the assetbundle support, but I can't find anything about exporting.

How should you do this now if you're starting from scratch?

I would also like to know the answer to this. I've followed countless tutorials, installed multiple versions of unity and other programs, tried all the advice from the wiki and forum. All of it was out of date. Nothing works. The only mod I found that got a new model into the game successfully was some gun mod off the Nexus. It was buggy, incomplete and ultimately caused CTD. Has anyone had success with custom models recently?

You can add new, custom models no problem. Plenty of mods have custom assets. The tuts are older now, but are mostly still correct.

If you are wanting to extract vanilla files, like guns and stuff, look in ...\7 Days To Die\Data\Bundles\Other. Use something like AssetStudio or uTinyRipper to open the items file. That's where most meshes are now.

You can add new, custom models no problem. Plenty of mods have custom assets. The tuts are older now, but are mostly still correct.

If they are, then where has the export option to a unity3d file gone?

You should use the multiplatformexport script found in my repo (link in the message above). It will make your exports compatible with Macs and Linux. I strongly recommend that you also download the tutorialprojecttemplate 2019.1 and use that for your first project as it already is configured for success. It has the multiplatform script loaded, as well as the important Tagmanager asset.

I'm working from Linux, so I didn't hesitate to take the multi platform one. I also switched to using the tutorial package and using Unity 2019.4 (the first version available for the file version), but that gives me version errors when loading the resource in the game.

Edit: Well, managed to dig up 2019.1.1f1 as the closest version and that one seems to work without issues.

Archived