Jump to content

Snukfin's Server Side Z(S)ombies


Snufkin

Recommended Posts

So, recently started a server with this mod and we're two hordes in. Mod seems to function just fine, but the amount of zombies spawning on horde night is crazy. We're seeing primarily custom zombies and hardly any normal game zombies. This isn't the intention right? It sounds like the 'party' xml but I did not install that. Any thoughts? We're talking, 16 zombies per person (4 people per horde night), 64 total allowed and at least 60% of them are the custom spawns. We've gotten absolutely wrecked both horde nights lol. Really wanting to balance it out a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skjold, Son of Kord said:

So, recently started a server with this mod and we're two hordes in. Mod seems to function just fine, but the amount of zombies spawning on horde night is crazy. We're seeing primarily custom zombies and hardly any normal game zombies. This isn't the intention right? It sounds like the 'party' xml but I did not install that. Any thoughts? We're talking, 16 zombies per person (4 people per horde night), 64 total allowed and at least 60% of them are the custom spawns. We've gotten absolutely wrecked both horde nights lol. Really wanting to balance it out a bit.

You can edit the mods entity xml to lower mod spawn probably for each type. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dre said:

You can edit the mods entity xml to lower mod spawn probably for each type. 

Right, but everything is still set to default. I was just checking to see if this NEEDED altering or if something else was going on. I'm new to modding 7 days (modded just a few games in the past) but i'm not sure the definition of the values in percent. For example, by default, prob="0.1" is equivalent to what percent value of spawn?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sounds like the Snukfin Party mod, which ratchets up the difficulty with primarily Snufkin Zombies. You might want the original mod, which has the Zombies but at a lower frequency. Again, Snufkin Party make the zombies the rule rather than the exception.

2 hours ago, Skjold, Son of Kord said:

Right, but everything is still set to default. I was just checking to see if this NEEDED altering or if something else was going on. I'm new to modding 7 days (modded just a few games in the past) but i'm not sure the definition of the values in percent. For example, by default, prob="0.1" is equivalent to what percent value of spawn?

0.1 = 10% probability. I edited the file also to increase not only their spawn chance, but overall amount that will spawn in a normal day (raised it from 1 to 4). I travel between biomes a lot and it's refreshing to have a Narcotic/Undertaker/Flamethrower attack you all in the same day LOL.

Edited by The Frankman (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes set prob = to lower (0.1 is higher then .05 and even lower still is .01 etc., think percentages). If you are running the snufkin PLUS community back the default is moderately high, can use notepad ++ to find/replace the probabilities to lower on he entity xml that controls it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Skjold, Son of Kord said:

So, recently started a server with this mod and we're two hordes in. Mod seems to function just fine, but the amount of zombies spawning on horde night is crazy. We're seeing primarily custom zombies and hardly any normal game zombies. This isn't the intention right? It sounds like the 'party' xml but I did not install that. Any thoughts? We're talking, 16 zombies per person (4 people per horde night), 64 total allowed and at least 60% of them are the custom spawns. We've gotten absolutely wrecked both horde nights lol. Really wanting to balance it out a bit.

Can you confirm that you are running the standard Snufkin Zombies version and not the PLUS version?

 

Even with the low probability of the default Snufkin Zombies, this is what is probably happening:

 

1. A group of 4 is raising your average game stage and increasing spawn probabilities as that feature is built into the Blood Moon horde list.
2. Setting 16 zombies per person is very high. Snufkin planned the probabilities for about 8 per person to reflect default values.
3. At the beginning of a BM, I expect there is a nice balance of Snufkin to default zombies. Maybe 1 in 10 or less.

a - However, as the default zombies are much easier to kill in rapid succession, it creates chance for another Snufkin to appear.
b - Over time, with 16 per person, the slower elimination of Snufkin Zombies will simply allow them to stack up while the quick dying default zombies are eliminated.

c - You can very quickly be overwhelmed. And should too many Geist zombies appear, there is a chance that the server will crash with so many electric particles being processed.

 

Two potential solutions:

- If you were to lower 16 per person to 9 or 10, I believe you will still see more than enough Snufkin Zombies to keep the challenge but not be totally overwhelmed.

- If you prefer not to lower 16 per person, but were to halve all of the Snufkin Zombie spawn probabilities for the Blood Moon horde it would be more proportional to the original intention based on 8 per person but still keep a high count of default 'easier' zombies. If you need help with this, let us know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, arramus said:

Can you confirm that you are running the standard Snufkin Zombies version and not the PLUS version?

 

Even with the low probability of the default Snufkin Zombies, this is what is probably happening:

 

1. A group of 4 is raising your average game stage and increasing spawn probabilities as that feature is built into the Blood Moon horde list.
2. Setting 16 zombies per person is very high. Snufkin planned the probabilities for about 8 per person to reflect default values.
3. At the beginning of a BM, I expect there is a nice balance of Snufkin to default zombies. Maybe 1 in 10 or less.

a - However, as the default zombies are much easier to kill in rapid succession, it creates chance for another Snufkin to appear.
b - Over time, with 16 per person, the slower elimination of Snufkin Zombies will simply allow them to stack up while the quick dying default zombies are eliminated.

c - You can very quickly be overwhelmed. And should too many Geist zombies appear, there is a chance that the server will crash with so many electric particles being processed.

 

Two potential solutions:

- If you were to lower 16 per person to 9 or 10, I believe you will still see more than enough Snufkin Zombies to keep the challenge but not be totally overwhelmed.

- If you prefer not to lower 16 per person, but were to halve all of the Snufkin Zombie spawn probabilities for the Blood Moon horde it would be more proportional to the original intention based on 8 per person but still keep a high count of default 'easier' zombies. If you need help with this, let us know.

This is very helpful, thank you.

 

I am NOT running the PLUS version, to confirm. I did already manually adjust the probabilities of bloodmoon spawn up to GS250'ish. So, we'll see how that plays out. We have an upcoming horde night to test out. That said, i do understand what you're explaining. If the adjustment to the prob's doesn't give the desired effect, i'll put those back to intended and bring down to 10 per person, as you suggested.

16 hours ago, The Frankman said:

This sounds like the Snukfin Party mod, which ratchets up the difficulty with primarily Snufkin Zombies. You might want the original mod, which has the Zombies but at a lower frequency. Again, Snufkin Party make the zombies the rule rather than the exception.

0.1 = 10% probability. I edited the file also to increase not only their spawn chance, but overall amount that will spawn in a normal day (raised it from 1 to 4). I travel between biomes a lot and it's refreshing to have a Narcotic/Undertaker/Flamethrower attack you all in the same day LOL.

0.1 = 10%. Wow, of course. Can't believe i couldn't see that. Thanks lol. I will say, we haven't really seen any during a normal day or night. But we are primarily in the temperate biome currently, being early game. Did run into a siren head in the desert just yesterday.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Wally_Franks said:

When do the sirens spawn on what game stage 

The Siren has the potential to spawn at each and every game stage and is not dependent on progress.

 

She is specific to only one spawn group (for the default entitygroups.xml):

ZombiesNight - <entity name="zombieSiren" prob="0.01" />

 

This amounts to a 1 in 100 chance of appearing in the Zombies Night group but that's also in relation to others in that group and their own probabilities.

 

She is not added to the Blood Moon Horde in the default version of the mod.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, arramus said:

The Siren has the potential to spawn at each and every game stage and is not dependent on progress.

 

She is specific to only one spawn group (for the default entitygroups.xml):

ZombiesNight - <entity name="zombieSiren" prob="0.01" />

 

This amounts to a 1 in 100 chance of appearing in the Zombies Night group but that's also in relation to others in that group and their own probabilities.

 

She is not added to the Blood Moon Horde in the default version of the mod.

Thank you so much

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent mod. Really cool man! ... I'm a solo player that enjoys running trader missions on Compo/Nitrogen maps. This has added a lot of spice to my nightly excursions. 

 

On the Bloodmoon ... I like to get my hands dirty behind standoff points built by double concrete wedges of triangle blocks (hard to explain) that allow me to sledgehammer/shoot/pipe bomb zombies through a two by one opening that only dogs and spiders can get through. If one pinch point gets compromised ... I retreat to backups and try to keep fighting.

 

On Day 14 horde night some very nasty customers arrived ... I think it was three Undertakers ... Very tall and difficult to kill. Just shrugged off pipe bombs like they were nothing. Didn't even knock them over. I could barely repair the walls as fast as they were tearing it down. Ha ha ... But it was a new challenge and really fun! ... :) 

 

However ...  there was also this "green static fog" thing happening to me that I didn't enjoy so much because it kept taking me out of the fight. I couldn't really understand who or what was doing that or how to prevent it. Seemed like a proximity effect ... so ... is there any way I can counteract that or maybe just remove that particular baddy/attack/increase the timer on it? (so it isn't so frequent) .... so I can continue my melee style on horde night? Perching up on some ledge and shooting down isn't nearly as fun.  

 

Thanks for sharing your excellent work! ... Really creative and cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Donmegawatt said:

Excellent mod. Really cool man! ... I'm a solo player that enjoys running trader missions on Compo/Nitrogen maps. This has added a lot of spice to my nightly excursions. 

 

On the Bloodmoon ... I like to get my hands dirty behind standoff points built by double concrete wedges of triangle blocks (hard to explain) that allow me to sledgehammer/shoot/pipe bomb zombies through a two by one opening that only dogs and spiders can get through. If one pinch point gets compromised ... I retreat to backups and try to keep fighting.

 

On Day 14 horde night some very nasty customers arrived ... I think it was three Undertakers ... Very tall and difficult to kill. Just shrugged off pipe bombs like they were nothing. Didn't even knock them over. I could barely repair the walls as fast as they were tearing it down. Ha ha ... But it was a new challenge and really fun! ... :) 

 

However ...  there was also this "green static fog" thing happening to me that I didn't enjoy so much because it kept taking me out of the fight. I couldn't really understand who or what was doing that or how to prevent it. Seemed like a proximity effect ... so ... is there any way I can counteract that or maybe just remove that particular baddy/attack/increase the timer on it? (so it isn't so frequent) .... so I can continue my melee style on horde night? Perching up on some ledge and shooting down isn't nearly as fun.  

 

Thanks for sharing your excellent work! ... Really creative and cool.

The green static fog sounds like the Banshee attack. It is also accompanied by screams. It is possible to remove her from the entitygroups.xml by deleteing her entries from the bottom section which relates to Blood Moon spawning; feralHordeStage groups.

 

Her entry look similar to this <entity name="zombieBanshee" prob="0.3"/> and there will be about 330 or so to remove. There are many duplicate entries though and searching for the complete property line as above allows batch removal in an programme like Notepad++.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Donmegawatt said:

Excellent mod. Really cool man! ... I'm a solo player that enjoys running trader missions on Compo/Nitrogen maps. This has added a lot of spice to my nightly excursions. 

 

On the Bloodmoon ... I like to get my hands dirty behind standoff points built by double concrete wedges of triangle blocks (hard to explain) that allow me to sledgehammer/shoot/pipe bomb zombies through a two by one opening that only dogs and spiders can get through. If one pinch point gets compromised ... I retreat to backups and try to keep fighting.

 

On Day 14 horde night some very nasty customers arrived ... I think it was three Undertakers ... Very tall and difficult to kill. Just shrugged off pipe bombs like they were nothing. Didn't even knock them over. I could barely repair the walls as fast as they were tearing it down. Ha ha ... But it was a new challenge and really fun! ... :) 

 

However ...  there was also this "green static fog" thing happening to me that I didn't enjoy so much because it kept taking me out of the fight. I couldn't really understand who or what was doing that or how to prevent it. Seemed like a proximity effect ... so ... is there any way I can counteract that or maybe just remove that particular baddy/attack/increase the timer on it? (so it isn't so frequent) .... so I can continue my melee style on horde night? Perching up on some ledge and shooting down isn't nearly as fun.  

 

Thanks for sharing your excellent work! ... Really creative and cool.

Open the mods "buffs.xml" and edit her screen effects intensity to 0

 

<buff name="buffBanshee" hidden="true">
            <stack_type value="replace"/>
            <duration value="3"/>
            <effect_group>
                <passive_effect name="RunSpeed" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.8,.2" duration="0,4">
                    <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" tags="player"/>
                </passive_effect>
                <passive_effect name="WalkSpeed" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.8,.2" duration="0,4">
                    <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" tags="player"/>
                </passive_effect>
                <passive_effect name="CrouchSpeed" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.8,.2" duration="0,4">
                    <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" tags="player"/>
                </passive_effect>
                <passive_effect name="JumpStrength" operation="perc_subtract" value="0.8,.2" duration="0,4">
                    <requirement name="EntityTagCompare" tags="player"/>
                </passive_effect>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="2" fade="1" effect_name="Blur"/>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity=".5" fade="1" effect_name="Radiation" />
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="1" effect_name="Drunk" fade="1"/>

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Donmegawatt said:

Excellent mod. Really cool man! ... I'm a solo player that enjoys running trader missions on Compo/Nitrogen maps. This has added a lot of spice to my nightly excursions. 

 

On the Bloodmoon ... I like to get my hands dirty behind standoff points built by double concrete wedges of triangle blocks (hard to explain) that allow me to sledgehammer/shoot/pipe bomb zombies through a two by one opening that only dogs and spiders can get through. If one pinch point gets compromised ... I retreat to backups and try to keep fighting.

 

On Day 14 horde night some very nasty customers arrived ... I think it was three Undertakers ... Very tall and difficult to kill. Just shrugged off pipe bombs like they were nothing. Didn't even knock them over. I could barely repair the walls as fast as they were tearing it down. Ha ha ... But it was a new challenge and really fun! ... :) 

 

However ...  there was also this "green static fog" thing happening to me that I didn't enjoy so much because it kept taking me out of the fight. I couldn't really understand who or what was doing that or how to prevent it. Seemed like a proximity effect ... so ... is there any way I can counteract that or maybe just remove that particular baddy/attack/increase the timer on it? (so it isn't so frequent) .... so I can continue my melee style on horde night? Perching up on some ledge and shooting down isn't nearly as fun.  

 

Thanks for sharing your excellent work! ... Really creative and cool.

How hard would it be to make a helmet mod that was called hearing protection or something like that and it made you immune to or greatly reduced the intensity of the banshee scream effect? Just a musing because I've had similar issues from players on my server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dre said:

Open the mods "buffs.xml" and edit her screen effects intensity to 0


                </passive_effect>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="2" fade="1" effect_name="Blur"/>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity=".5" fade="1" effect_name="Radiation" />
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="1" effect_name="Drunk" fade="1"/>

Thanks @arramus ... I think I'll give @Dre suggestion a try and use yours as a fall back. 

 

and @Dre ... apologies ... I have little experience editing game files. 

So I should change the bottom three intensity values to "0" ? ... Like this?

 

       </passive_effect>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" fade="1" effect_name="Blur"/>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" fade="1" effect_name="Radiation" />
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" effect_name="Drunk" fade="1"/>

 

Thanks again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Donmegawatt said:

Thanks @arramus ... I think I'll give @Dre suggestion a try and use yours as a fall back. 

 

and @Dre ... apologies ... I have little experience editing game files. 

So I should change the bottom three intensity values to "0" ? ... Like this?

 

       </passive_effect>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" fade="1" effect_name="Blur"/>
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" fade="1" effect_name="Radiation" />
                <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" effect_name="Drunk" fade="1"/>

 

Thanks again. 

 

Yes use notepad ++ should work, save an unedited one as a back up (put a copy on desk top or something). You can try something more then zero if you want to keep the buff but see what lessening it does (have not tried this). 

 

There might be one other Zed that causes screen effects in there. 

Edited by Dre (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, magejosh said:

How hard would it be to make a helmet mod that was called hearing protection or something like that and it made you immune to or greatly reduced the intensity of the banshee scream effect? Just a musing because I've had similar issues from players on my server.

Can be done

If you like I can make one when I have time :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, oakraven said:

Can be done

If you like I can make one when I have time :) 

That would be awesome, both for being such a useful item when using entities like the banshee, and for seeing how something like that would work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, magejosh said:

That would be awesome, both for being such a useful item when using entities like the banshee, and for seeing how something like that would work.

Test this out and let me know if its works ok,

just put it in your mods folder :) 

txNicehat.zip

In game its a helmet mod

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, oakraven said:

Test this out and let me know if its works ok,

just put it in your mods folder :) 

txNicehat.zip 1.36 kB · 0 downloads

In game its a helmet mod

works perfectly against the banshee. I'll probably just add in a loot and recipe xml for it. Thinking about making two grades of it though, one that has the full 1 value in buff resistance and the other having .5 and make the lower quality one lootable in junk containers. Will share when i get it balanced for my server. Thanks for your help with this oakraven, you are awesome!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, here's what I came up with. Tested on 19.3 and can confirm works and is both lootable and craftable. Renamed the item mod to OakravenEPS and OakravenEPSv2. Added localization as well modeled after how the hat mods were done in the snuffkins weapons expansion mod. 

Really liked how the weaker model worked, well sometimes and other times less well but still better than not having them on. I will have to add in the zombie buffs that affect vision from mikepewpew's server side zombies as well to this one for my server but I figured I'd show you this framework before I add that in.

txNicehat2.zip

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So another update (why did I stop recording my vids?) Was doing Day 210 Horde Night and started with 3 Demolitionists. I was like "Ok it's going to be THAT kind of Horde Night" but I was doing ok. I managed to kill 2 before exploding and the damage didn't take out my Dart Trap/Electricity/Bridge trap system. It was 3 am so I was starting to wind down the night... then HE showed.

 

The Juggernaut, a big 9 ft tall cornbread mofo in full armor walked up the stairs and immediately I started freaking out. He predictably went through the Electric traps with little issues and immediately went on my final line or Triple Iron Spike traps. Dude was constantly staggered and if I concentrated my fire completely on him i MIGHT have been able to kill him fast w/o neglecting the rest of the horde too much; it was 3:05 AM so I might have had time. However I was so shook and made a business decision and jumped out the window onto my dirt bike. Now, the AI is changed so birds/flying enemies can keep up with vehicles, but I had Bdubs' vehicle mod installed and the dirt bike was extremely fast, so I theorized as long as the flying enemies aren't programmed to be locked on the player speed, I could drive faster then they fly.

 

I was wrong.

 

As I was getting circled and damaged by vultures, Geists and Archons, I tried to get to the ocean so at least I could swim underwater for the 40 minutes (in-game time) Horde Night had left. I wound up dying no more than 200 feet from a large body of water.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Knuckle Rub 1
  • Afraid 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...