Concrete bases are useless!!!

Biscoitoso

Cool video.

Thanks! Good base for MP and ammo expenditure but not so much for solo play though...?

As a side note, on our server we have horde nights as scheduled events on a specific real time date/time. This helps everyone plan their real life schedules and not to worry what day it is in game. Great for servers where you have a mixed bag of super active and casual players.

No they aren't useless, and there are many, many, many posts throughout the forum demonstrating different tactics with differing effectiveness against Demolishers.

Concrete walls are effective; though vulnerable to one specific Zombie's one specific explosion - but there is plenty you can do before they start showing up to get ready; and - on average - 3 full horde nights before they'll be showing up anyway; and usually 5 full horde nights before they show up in any real numbers. Multiplayer they show up sooner - but you'll have more hands to get ready.

Blade traps can kill em fine if you place them correctly, dart traps too - turrets too; all can be effective if you use them right.

Redundancy helps; and having thicker or multiple barriers where you expect to be shooting the hordes will help.

with perks and with proper ammo the magnum, shotgun, m60 and SMG can kill them easily enough as long as you are focused and ready; and I'd be very surprised if better players than me couldn't manage with lesser guns.

You'll need to re-assess how you built and what you build; but while a (further) nerf is probably going to happen (they've already toned them down from 1st appearance) there are multiple and varied strategies to kill, avoid, mitigate or defend against them and it's up to the player to change tactic if their tactic isn't working.

Have a search on the forum for posts about demolishers and bases since 18 dropped; and watch some of the players on youtube for ideas and demonstrations - and if all else fails knock your difficulty down a setting or two and practice; then turn it back up as you get more comfortable.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I kinda like the demolishers. It keeps you on your toes no matter what level you are. That being said, there is a way to cheese demos (well, any zed for that matter). Trenches. 3 blocks down and 4 blocks wide, lined with slanted blocks. It messes up the pathfinding and all they do is jump up and down. You can keep a demo boxed up until morning as long as you don't shoot that stupid button. I made small base like this and It worked out fantastically. If you wanna see it, lemme know.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I kinda like the demolishers. It keeps you on your toes no matter what level you are. That being said, there is a way to cheese demos (well, any zed for that matter). Trenches. 3 blocks down and 4 blocks wide, lined with slanted blocks. It messes up the pathfinding and all they do is jump up and down. You can keep a demo boxed up until morning as long as you don't shoot that stupid button. I made small base like this and It worked out fantastically. If you wanna see it, lemme know.

Do show please, tbh I hate horde night, but I won't shut it off as its a main part of the game, I'd like a easy way to get around it without being super cheezi.

Do show please, tbh I hate horde night, but I won't shut it off as its a main part of the game, I'd like a easy way to get around it without being super cheezi.

I tried to find a good screencap, but I didn't get any, unfortunately. You can check this vid I made to see the base in action, however. I built it in just a couple of days.

https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/-7-days-to-die-pc/images-and-videos/1719646-new-mini-base-vs-day-147-horde#post1719646

I didnt have that much trouble with them so far. During my last 2 hordes, i had 3 of them each night. Only 1 exploded each horde. I managed to kill the rest before they blew up and i use regular ammo. M60 is my best friend for this now.

But let's be honest here. Demolishers are a cheap and lazy way to challenge end-game players. One of the main goal of 7DtD is to build a strong enough forteress to withstand the heaviest siege. Some players have strongholds so tough, the devil itself couldnt go through. So what was the best way to counter this, beside adding more than 64 zombies alive at same time and therefore making the game more taxing on systems? Demolishers.

I can conceive you can take creative liberties with a zombie setting, but ones who use technological devices is kinda stretched a bit too far. Acid-vomitting Cop Zombies are actually doing the job at destroying fortifications. More of them added to subsequent hordes is just fine AFAIC. No need to add Demos.

The fun of a zombie horde game is to fight waves of them. Its not about taking out a single one who's mildly "sentient" and can detonate explosive devices... That's my point of view, but i wont turn or tone them down for the time being, as long as it doesnt become ridiculously cheap.

Why not make them less frequent-- Like every 14 days? Then that part is still in the game but half as significant. Also, the xml edit makes them walk at night. the .02 is their day speed and the .05 is their night speed. Default night speed is like 1.2 or something. So they walk a bit faster than the daytime speed but not much. Of course, the Demolisher doesn't come out at day but it simply extends the base zombiemale speeds. You could make the second number .01 and then it would really trundle along slowly.

One of the main goal of 7DtD is to build a strong enough forteress to withstand the heaviest siege. Some players have strongholds so tough, the devil itself couldnt go through. So what was the best way to counter this, beside adding more than 64 zombies alive at same time and therefore making the game more taxing on systems? Demolishers.

I disagree that this is the main goal. If it was the main goal then as soon as that perfect base was built the credits would roll. But this game goes on forever. There is no end and therefore the goal is to survive as long as possible with the hordes getting stronger and stronger and at certain stages new enemies that challenge previous strategies coming along. For some, Demolishers will spell the end. For others there might be something above Demolishers that will be developed and that will be the end for them. But for those who can keep going and keep defending it gets pointless if the base perfectly defends the next 70 hordes. Why play through them if you know your base is perfect?

I can conceive you can take creative liberties with a zombie setting, but ones who use technological devices is kinda stretched a bit too far. Acid-vomitting Cop Zombies are actually doing the job at destroying fortifications. More of them added to subsequent hordes is just fine AFAIC. No need to add Demos.

They can do that and also have Demos.

The fun of a zombie horde game is to fight waves of them. Its not about taking out a single one who's mildly "sentient" and can detonate explosive devices... That's my point of view, but i wont turn or tone them down for the time being, as long as it doesnt become ridiculously cheap.

The demo is not semi sentient. He doesn't detonate his own explosive device. It goes off if it is triggered by the player, a trap, or another zombie. The Demo obviously didn't strap the explosive to himself. There is plenty of imagination space for demos without them being semi-sentient. There is a Duke of Navezgane after all....

I disagree that this is the main goal. If it was the main goal then as soon as that perfect base was built the credits would roll. But this game goes on forever. There is no end and therefore the goal is to survive as long as possible with the hordes getting stronger and stronger and at certain stages new enemies that challenge previous strategies coming along. For some, Demolishers will spell the end. For others there might be something above Demolishers that will be developed and that will be the end for them. But for those who can keep going and keep defending it gets pointless if the base perfectly defends the next 70 hordes. Why play through them if you know your base is perfect?

I said it was ONE of the main goal... And i didnt mean it was one as an end, but as a way to evolve through the game. I know the game is endless... It is a goal, like, you gotta write it down on your list. "Build strong fortifications". If its not a goal, how about you keep the same mobile home for Day 35 horde? You wont. You will have to upgrade to concrete and steel somehow, someday.

I also didnt refer to having a perfect base. No base will ever be perfect. It will only last a ****load longer. Everyone playing this game will strive to build the best base they can and try to limit most damage they can.

They can do that and also have Demos.

Yes. They can also have more Cops and no Demos, or way less than usual.

The demo is not semi sentient. He doesn't detonate his own explosive device. It goes off if it is triggered by the player, a trap, or another zombie. The Demo obviously didn't strap the explosive to himself. There is plenty of imagination space for demos without them being semi-sentient. There is a Duke of Navezgane after all....

Yeah, i got mislead with Cops who run at you to explode when they're low on health.

I said it was ONE of the main goal... And i didnt mean it was one as an end, but as a way to evolve through the game. I know the game is endless... It is a goal, like, you gotta write it down on your list. "Build strong fortifications". If its not a goal, how about you keep the same mobile home for Day 35 horde? You wont. You will have to upgrade to concrete and steel somehow, someday.

I also didnt refer to having a perfect base. No base will ever be perfect. It will only last a ****load longer. Everyone playing this game will strive to build the best base they can and try to limit most damage they can.

Fair enough...my point still stands that there should be threats that appear at later game stages that challenge the player and even make the player reconfigure the way they are defending their base and the demolisher does this. You may not like the way it does this and that is fine. Other people do like it. There is nothing wrong with a game design that adds new enemies with new capabilities that invalidate certain strategies the moment they show up so that new strategies must be designed.

Also you DID say there were perfect bases AKA bases so defended the devil himself couldn't have gone through. I took that to mean that before demolishers came along those bases were all the players needed for infinite future horde nights. And it is true. It is also true (as you said) that the developers add Demolishers to challenge those bases since going above 64 zombies at once was not an option.

All I'm saying is that is a legit choice for a game developer to make and I hope they come up with additional enemies for even later game stages at some point.

Fair enough...my point still stands that there should be threats that appear at later game stages that challenge the player and even make the player reconfigure the way they are defending their base and the demolisher does this. You may not like the way it does this and that is fine. Other people do like it. There is nothing wrong with a game design that adds new enemies with new capabilities that invalidate certain strategies the moment they show up so that new strategies must be designed.

Also you DID say there were perfect bases AKA bases so defended the devil himself couldn't have gone through. I took that to mean that before demolishers came along those bases were all the players needed for infinite future horde nights. And it is true. It is also true (as you said) that the developers add Demolishers to challenge those bases since going above 64 zombies at once was not an option.

All I'm saying is that is a legit choice for a game developer to make and I hope they come up with additional enemies for even later game stages at some point.

If there were no demolishers most probably would of been bored/moved on already. There always needs to be some threat out there. I already see the people complaining when bandits start showing up......?

If there were no demolishers most probably would of been bored/moved on already. There always needs to be some threat out there. I already see the people complaining when bandits start showing up......?

Future Thread Title: Melee weapons are useless!!!!

As I said, it is my actual strategy, hit on the road, and it is not fun.

Slowing the Demolishers to a walk does not mean you leave your base and hit them on the road. (You can of course). It means that if you have several at once you have time to shoot them all before they arrive. Your complaint was that with multiple demolishers at once it is easy to miss one and then it is right by your wall and if you hit the detonator goodbye wall. If they are slower then that takes the pressure off without reducing the power of all zombies.

Guys, my point is: The demolitors turned concrete, spikes and blade traps useless! It is very unbalanced. I am talking about it in the forum not just to take help from you, but to show to the developers they need do something about this.

Anyway, thanks all for attention and hints. I will consider that.

That was my base, full of blade traps, spikes and electric fences even smg turrets.

I think that the suggestions are somewhat to help you out but also to demonstrate that the problem you are presenting of these things being useless is not as bad as you are saying. If you want the developer to see your suggestion then my help to you is to post in the A19 thread what you would propose as a better balance for demolishers or better yet ask Madmole what his philosophy is regarding demolishers. Let the developer tell you his perspective so you can understand whether what we have now is the intended final version or whether it is still a work in progress.

I didnt have that much trouble with them so far. During my last 2 hordes, i had 3 of them each night. Only 1 exploded each horde. I managed to kill the rest before they blew up and i use regular ammo. M60 is my best friend for this now.

But let's be honest here. Demolishers are a cheap and lazy way to challenge end-game players. One of the main goal of 7DtD is to build a strong enough forteress to withstand the heaviest siege. Some players have strongholds so tough, the devil itself couldnt go through. So what was the best way to counter this, beside adding more than 64 zombies alive at same time and therefore making the game more taxing on systems? Demolishers.

You’re right

its a mildly sentient zombie - that explodes

thats pretty dumb now you say it

I am kinda curious now too of the back story. The zombies up to now I could kinda see how some virus or event could mutate them. The Demolishers are a different story. I don't know of any way a mutation could build a bomb into a person. They don't seem to be like the cops who explode from some chemical reaction in their bodies. They look to have an actual constructed bomb built into their chests. Who put them there? Are they part of some evil geniuses army? Something the Duke is working on perhaps. Stay tuned tomorrow, same pimp time, same pimp channel...

Well, with all the rumors of this current virus being weaponized and of the cures that fight this virus WITHIN your cells.

Wouldn't take much to imagine someone would combine the two and have a virus that changed people into rabid killers... or anything else.

Boom! 7D2D backstory! Not Zombies... something much worse.

While I agree the damage the explosion does, is a touch on the OP side.

Among the other tactics people are sharing:

Find the perk(s) that have the added bonus of slowing entities down, when you target their legs.

Personally, think zombies should just get slower and weaker the more damage is done to them, without needing a perk, but hey! that's just a me thing.

edit: (As an aside thing) If zombies are going to be specialized. Why do the cops still explode? Don't the Demo's fill this role now? Seems the vomit is more than enough for the cops? (idk)

I wanna point out that i actually love the game. Im in fact borderline addicted. This is a game that makes me want to use my sick days to stay home and play. I have way much praise to give than legitimate complaints... No game's perfect and there's always things that bother us.

I dont hate Demos. They're indeed quite a challenge but its still an easy and cheap way to deal with the limited zombie spawns we can get and that the game can handle. I'd rather have 128 zombies attacking than adding Demos, but like i said, its my point of view and i dont take it as a fact. And if anybody should have explosives, it should be those soon to come Bandits and i find it cool to have them introduced. It would make more sense to me than a zombie carrying bombs.

They're indeed quite a challenge but its still an easy and cheap way to deal with the limited zombie spawns we can get and that the game can handle. I'd rather have 128 zombies attacking than adding Demos, .

Oh god I wish we could do numbers like that. Make horde night about actual hordes instead of the superUberMenche infected that take clips of ammo to the head to kill and can demolish a steel structure in seconds.

I wanna point out that i actually love the game. Im in fact borderline addicted. This is a game that makes me want to use my sick days to stay home and play. I have way much praise to give than legitimate complaints... No game's perfect and there's always things that bother us.

I dont hate Demos. They're indeed quite a challenge but its still an easy and cheap way to deal with the limited zombie spawns we can get and that the game can handle. I'd rather have 128 zombies attacking than adding Demos, but like i said, its my point of view and i dont take it as a fact. And if anybody should have explosives, it should be those soon to come Bandits and i find it cool to have them introduced. It would make more sense to me than a zombie carrying bombs.

You never know the demo might be scaled back as just a hard hitting block destroyer and explosives moved over to bandits. The beauty of alpha development...

...I think most people would prefer more zombies but realistically we know there are technical limitations for that so compromises like these are made...

I am kinda curious now too of the back story. The zombies up to now I could kinda see how some virus or event could mutate them. The Demolishers are a different story. I don't know of any way a mutation could build a bomb into a person. They don't seem to be like the cops who explode from some chemical reaction in their bodies. They look to have an actual constructed bomb built into their chests. Who put them there? Are they part of some evil geniuses army? Something the Duke is working on perhaps. Stay tuned tomorrow, same pimp time, same pimp channel...

To me, it’s incredibly dumb and just like an idea someone on the dev team must have thought was a good idea after smoking something

Because just look at the Model of it - it looks totally out of place with the rest of the game

theu should have just made cops improved or just made a few cop variations

this demo character is out place both in looks snd in function and the only the only reason we can’t say it’s not canon is because even after 7 years of development and 10 million copies sold there’s zero back story

The Demo guy is a copy from The Fallout super-mutant with the mini nuke. That was just about the only thing you feared in Fallout 4.

Is anyone really afraid of anything else in 7d2d? Maybe the rare wandering horde of Zombie bears and zombie dogs is scary if you're on foot.

So, the Demo guy is an attempt at keeping the game interesting.

Archived