FOV capped at 85 does NOT fix seeing underground, so please up the cap to 110+

Mephistopheles

I was told by SylenThunder in this thread that the stupid new FOV slider being capped at 85, and the manual option to override it being removed was to curb cheating people who glitch and see underground.

But I finally got an auger and did some digging tonight and immediately found that seeing underground is even worse than it was before. And I believe it has more to do with different terrain meshes not completely fitting with other terrain mesh types. The video I took where this happened was in an area where the main terrain was stone, but I hit a pocket of sand and iron ore, perhaps even another ore type as well. But you can see portions of the underground above you throughout the entire tunnel I dug.

So please watch the video, properly fix it if you want, but most important to me personally and a lot of other players who get ill from playing a FOV of 85, please increase the FOV cap to 100, 110, or even higher, since it has nothing to do with stopping cheaters, and especially for SP players who don't even have to worry about cheaters.

Give it a few minutes to upload, here's the video. https://streamable.com/azwy4

As I spent more time expanding my underground base augering it out, I noticed several more "holes" open up letting me see the entire underground area of the map above me. This is disappointing because when I was told that the FOV slider being limited to 85 was done to get rid of underground cheating, I thought that maybe I could put up with the narrow view making me queasy in exchange for an actual chance to play MP and PVP again knowing that cheaters finding your base by glitching and then griefing your base to rubble for lulz would be a thing of the past now. But no, the headache inducing FOV slider cap is in place because, like so many other kneejerk reactions we've seen over the years, someone said, "Hmm, try this new thing, but don't actually test it or get feedback on it."

So even if it did fix the cheating, you could still enable 110+ FOV for SP users. But it doesn't fix anything, so let us use whatever FOV we want. You want us to play longer and more often? Then make it less nauseating of an experience.

There was no knee-jerk reaction to the FOV issue. They locked it to 65 for all of A17 and ignored all complaints to create a slider. Finally during A18 they created the slider that expanded it to what we have now. Close to a year of time from when they locked the FOV until they allowed a slider for multiple values. That is way too slow of a reaction to be called "knee-jerk". I think it is safe to say that they thought it through carefully and landed on a range of values they were comfortable allowing. If underground view is actually one of the reasons for limiting FOV it is not the only reason. I have heard the devs mention the occlusion system as the major reason. At >85 degrees of view you would see things popping in and out of existence at the edge of your screen and to make adjustments so you don't see the occlusion at work would diminish its overall value for helping performance. I've also heard the devs talk about the appearance of the game at extreme FOV settings that make the game look bad and are primarily used for exploity play in PvP to give yourself a "peripheral vision" advantage.

But performance is king in this regard so whatever the max it currently is is going to continue to be the max and it was a carefully considered max.

There was no knee-jerk reaction to the FOV issue. They locked it to 65 for all of A17 and ignored all complaints to create a slider. Finally during A18 they created the slider that expanded it to what we have now. Close to a year of time from when they locked the FOV until they allowed a slider for multiple values. That is way too slow of a reaction to be called "knee-jerk". I think it is safe to say that they thought it through carefully and landed on a range of values they were comfortable allowing. If underground view is actually one of the reasons for limiting FOV it is not the only reason. I have heard the devs mention the occlusion system as the major reason. At >85 degrees of view you would see things popping in and out of existence at the edge of your screen and to make adjustments so you don't see the occlusion at work would diminish its overall value for helping performance. I've also heard the devs talk about the appearance of the game at extreme FOV settings that make the game look bad and are primarily used for exploity play in PvP to give yourself a "peripheral vision" advantage.

But performance is king in this regard so whatever the max it currently is is going to continue to be the max and it was a carefully considered max.

The whole time the slider was disabled, you could manually set it to w/e you wanted. Now you can't since they added the slider back. They should enable w/e settings we want on SP games. PERIOD.

Archived