Sign in to follow this  
Achilex

windows freeze crash after loading game on direct x (windows crash: 0x00000113)

My freshly installed new pc freeze crashes just after loading the game(it reaches main menu then crashes, or crashes as soon as i click while still loading/showing the fun pumps logo), looking into the windows crash dump file it gives a 0x00000113

looks like direct x crashes, usually the windows crash file points to watchdog.sys and ntoskrnl.exe as well as dxgkrnl.exe.

I have added system information, output file of the game and windows crash files.

I dont have this problem with any other software or using the glcore or vulkan option in the 7 days launcher.

However Glcore runs very badly on my system including flickering grey pixels.

Vulkan runs great but crashes to desktop regularly.

I also didnt have this issue on another system.

7 days output log: https://pastebin.com/UhKJgjR4

system info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AbXecZfoUwbpKQ2eV7xsdMb

I have tried solving this issue by reinstalling drivers, the game, directx itself, deleting and or disabling the anti cheat and changing launch options in steam to no avail.

The same crash occurs.

crash1.txt

crash2.txt

At a guess, you didn't install your GPU drivers after installing the PC. Windows drivers don't support the DirectX features the client needs.

Also since you have the 5700, be sure to check the threads on the issues with that GPU.

From your output log, it says SteamAPI_Init() failed which is an indicator that Steam is not running.

Your speccy shows Stopped:Steam Client Service in your services section.

This doesn't make any sense if GLCore and Vulkan work.

Schwanz9000

Edited by schwanz9000 (see edit history)

i definitely installed the latest drivers, as i said in my first message i also tried reinstalling.

I checked the other output files and with GLCore there is no steam error:

2020-02-25T12:50:24 0.010 INF [steamworks.NET] SteamAPI_Init() ok

I don't get any error message from steam, or i cant see it (yet) because the system freezes, including sound, which loops half a second of audio or something, but no bsod.

I don't know the correct terminology for this kind of crash, but i have seen it in the past before with other systems, usually bad hardware.

I don't know the correct terminology for this kind of crash, but i have seen it in the past before with other systems, usually bad hardware.

Since it's a new build I'd start with stress testing the hardware. Run Memtest, prime95, and furmark for a bit and see how it performs. Install

hwinfo as well to check temps etc. while testing.

There's been reports of 5700 cooler mounting pressure issues so I'd check gpu temps carefully.

Edit: All that said, I suspect a driver issue since it's only Directx. I'd try uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling the video driver.

Edited by Beelzybub (see edit history)

Edit: All that said, I suspect a driver issue since it's only Directx. I'd try uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling the video driver.

Ok I used DDU in safe mode to clean the system of driver software and reinstalled the stable amd driver version 20.1.3 also while disabling the internet to prevent updates to no avail.

I still have the exact same problem.

Hardware stress test is going to take a while and i highly doubt the problem is in the actual hardware, but if you insist it, i will try.

I have played other games like GTA 5, NMS, L4d2, and EU4 without any problems at all.

Output log seems the same, do you need to see the new crash dump and 7days output log?

Also tempratures are fine all over, my video card is not the stock version, its an Asrock challanger

Edited by Achilex (see edit history)

Hardware stress test is going to take a while and i highly doubt the problem is in the actual hardware, but if you insist it, i will try.

I'd never insist, merely recommend.

Thx for looking into this bug so quickly, i really love the game and i'd like to be able properly play it.

Also, AMD just released new drivers, i will be installing them today.

Apparently the 5000 series had quite a few specific bugs.

If this update doesn't work i will also report it to the amd bug team with links to this forum.

These crashes occurred on the stable version of 20.1.3

7 days output:

https://pastebin.com/CMCjhDQe

https://pastebin.com/nX8Ms9B6

Windows mini dump:

https://pastebin.com/7WSLVx6G

https://pastebin.com/NwcFYZBx

Posted (edited)

Updating the drivers to the latest version didnt help.

Sometimes the game and windows fail to make a log/crash dump file, or only partial.

What is weird is that clicking the left mouse button will sometimes reboot windows and induce the crash earlier.

I also played around with forcing the game to run on older dirtect x versions, which didnt help either.

a few weeks ago i also tried reinstalling the game and the experimental version, no difference noted.

https://pastebin.com/F1PdsyNM

https://pastebin.com/JAq7bdAV

Edit: i reproduced the bug a few times and noticed one crash file successfully going through the steam initialization, still it crashed, didn't notice any difference. The crashes i get in vulkan are known, correct? It clearly states not fully implemented. any chance it gets fixed/fully implemented anytime soon?

It runs alot better then GLcore which kind of looks worse, has much lower fps and stutters and also some flickering graphics bugs on stone and roads.

https://pastebin.com/AVEJJxnS

So, It crashes the computer causing a reboot with DirectX, but will run without crashing using GLCore?

So, It crashes the computer causing a reboot with DirectX, but will run without crashing using GLCore?

Yes, GLcore runs without crashes. But as mentioned, it runs poorly.

Just making sure: When you freshly installed your system, did you copy over anything from your old PC or install, for example your users directories? If yes, that could also have copied over old 7d2d settings.

Posted (edited)
Just making sure: When you freshly installed your system, did you copy over anything from your old PC or install, for example your users directories? If yes, that could also have copied over old 7d2d settings.

no, fresh install on a new ssd.

PS: I forgot to post a new speccy report http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rtQzKj1dP46Qs7wPtnUQMCs

Is this issue being addressed? I will gladly provide any further information if necessary.

From Steam Library click "Play"

Select "Show Game Launcher" from the popup.

Click "Play"

From the game launcher select the "Tools" tab.

From the Tools tab select "Clean game data..."

Check all the boxes and select "All Maps" under Discovered map of remote games.

Click "Clean"

Close the launcher, don't start the game.

From your Steam Library, right click the game and select "properties".

Select the "Local Files" tab, and click "Uninstall Game"

After the game is uninstalled go to this folder:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/

and delete the 7 Days to Die folder.

Go to this folder:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\

and delete the 7Days2Die folder.

From your Steam Library, reinstall the game.

Launch the game with DirectX enabled.

Post your log.

If the game still doesn't start, or the computer crashes, check your hardware.

I have now found a strong potential link between this problem and some other minor occasional problems i had with firefox playing videos.

Sometimes(maybe 10% of the time), Firefox would crash when loading a video on you tube for example.

I assumed it was unrelated and possibly a Firefox specific problem.

However i recently tried playing a video on VLC and got a full windows crash every time i tried. (yes this is the first time i played a vlc video on my new system :p)

When i looked into these crashes, it gave the same error as the 7d2d crash.

So i messed with Vlc settings and disabled hardware acceleration and anything else that might use directx, and voila, no more crashes.

I then applied the same tactic to firefox and it also solved my problem there.

So there definitely is a problem outside of the game, with my soft or hardware, or a combination of the two, causing a very specific direct x problem.

Whats weird is that i've tried lots of games now and they are all running without any problems, so the problem i am having seems to be very specifically related to hardware acceleration of video.

I guess you guys already assumed this was a problem on my system, not the game, either way, thanks for helping.

Beelzybubs suggestion is no longer relevant i assume?

However any advise on how to pin point my problem further and or fix it, your very welcome.

If i contact my webshop for a waranty case i want to be able to prove just a little bit that it is a hardware problem.

(ps: yes i tried the latest 20.2.2 driver, i actually tried 3 versions in total)

Hardware or operating system software, it still could be either. But hardware is by far the suspect nr.1

if vlc consistently crashes I would give this to the webshop as the rather "localized" and easiest test case (also for further searches for the cause). vlc does one thing and one thing only, it plays videos. Did you check the windows logfiles for error messages? Win+X "eventvwr" gets you there, interpreting the info there isn't easy though, googling for the error message text helps

Putting the hard disk into a similar PC and then playing a vlc video without problems would really clinch the case. But windows DRM and availability of a clone might make that difficult. Getting another GPU of the same type and testing it would also reveal if the GPU is the culprit, as it is the most likely cause.

Posted (edited)
Beelzybubs suggestion is no longer relevant i assume?

My original suggestion to test your hardware seems to still be relevant as I have

not seen a post ruling out a hardware issue.

My later suggestions assume good hardware, which afaik, has not been established.

Edited by Beelzybub (see edit history)