sg optionsfieldofviewnew 100 no longer works. How to change FOV beyond 85 slider cap?

Mephistopheles

7 hours ago, elektrohund said:

This game seems to be using vertical fov instead of horizontal, which isn't the norm. This means that 85 FOV in 7DTD would translate to around 117 FOV in most games, and I wouldn't precisely call that a low limit, not super high of course but not uncommon.

Vertical FOV has been the standard for over a decade, ever since developers realized Hor+ was better than Vert- in terms of supporting as many aspect ratios as possible. Although a lot of games still convert the vertical FOV into a horizontal FOV at 4:3 aspect ratio because users expect "90 FOV" to look a certain way and be the default value. In the Source Engine for example, using 90 FOV on a 4:3 monitor gives you a 90 horizontal FOV but on a 16:9 it's closer to 100 because of the added Hor+ pixels.

Edited by Lemmers (see edit history)

On 6/5/2021 at 3:18 AM, elektrohund said:

Getting motionsick at 117 horizontal FOV sound kind of weird to me, but who am I to tell you what your own experience is. 🤷‍♂️

I agree, my hubby thinks it is quite ridiculous, but I once got motion sick in a CARWASH because the car stayed stationary and the walls moved and I wasn't prepared for it.  It isn't about targeting or anything like that, it effects me mostly when I am trying to just move around.  I'm gonna try some of the things they mentioned above, but 85 makes the game unplayable after about 15mins for me. 

16 hours ago, Ianua said:

I agree, my hubby thinks it is quite ridiculous, but I once got motion sick in a CARWASH because the car stayed stationary and the walls moved and I wasn't prepared for it.  It isn't about targeting or anything like that, it effects me mostly when I am trying to just move around.  I'm gonna try some of the things they mentioned above, but 85 makes the game unplayable after about 15mins for me. 

Man that sucks, I hope it works out for you!

On 6/5/2021 at 8:08 PM, Lemmers said:

Vertical FOV has been the standard for over a decade, ever since developers realized Hor+ was better than Vert- in terms of supporting as many aspect ratios as possible. Although a lot of games still convert the vertical FOV into a horizontal FOV at 4:3 aspect ratio because users expect "90 FOV" to look a certain way and be the default value. In the Source Engine for example, using 90 FOV on a 4:3 monitor gives you a 90 horizontal FOV but on a 16:9 it's closer to 100 because of the added Hor+ pixels.

That's very interesting, I had no idea. I'm so used to 100 fov being 100 that I never questioned it, but it does make a lot of sense.