The Switchening -- Turning off EVERY electric light in game

sloggoth

Hey fellow Survivors,

I am wanting to disable EVERY electric light and sign in the game. Only light sources would have to be flame. Not even flashlights.

I know I can open each POI an 'turn off' every light, but I'm wondering if there is a faster way to edit the individual files using a tool. If not I will divvy up the POIs and start switching *shudder*

Any tools that are known that could assist with this? I am not looking forward to the skyscrapers :)

Have you thought of the consequences?

Never, I tend to dive into things head first. On an unrelated note, you'd be surprised how shallow some puddles are.

I'm not sure I can think of a negative. Personally I'd like to have the power to disconnect power to more - signs that glow and buzz? Post-apocol...wait, post-apaca...after zombiegeddon? Working vending machines? I plan on placing generators at Traders to explain their juice, but outside of that and bunkers that get power, I don't see the downsidde :)

I may be able to find a way to do this via xpath. I'll look into it when I have a chance, unless you've already done it the hard way. As for consequences, it's dangerous to mount a full scale war against light itself. The universe may respond in kind.

I have stuggled against the light for around 100 POIs. I have learned from it, many a lesson a man aught not need have learned. 700 are left. Dear god, please help :drunk:

One way or another I'm finishing this. It may just take a release to complete unless you see something that is over my pay grade.

I do this in True Survival. There are 2 ways to do it the long neat way and the quick nasty way. Your doing the long way you could just change all the light fixture blocks to air and poof no more lights. This way will lessen the aesthetic appeal of the pois and some what limit available resources but it can be done in 5 min instead of 10's of hours.

Thank you! I got great results with the following, inasmuch as the xml was removed or changed, but the lights still shine on.

<configs>
<remove xpath="//block[not(contains(@name, 'Player'))]/property[@name='Class' and @value='Light']" />
<set xpath="/blocks/block/property[@name='Light']/@value">0.0</set>
</configs>

So, I'm going to start looking through the rest of the xml to see if there is a mod-able resource here.

There are multiple places that I can find where the light could be getting read from - 2 places in blocks.xml and in localization.txt. As mentioned before, the following works at changing blocks.xml

<configs>
<remove xpath="//block[not(contains(@name, 'Player'))]/property[@name='Class' and @value='Light']" />
</configs>

I also changed every instance of, for example, "torchWallHolder,blocks,Light," to "torchWallHolder,blocks,," in Localization.txt.

Still have lights, so now I wonder if they aren't set somewhere in compiled code, or baked in when you save a POI in the editor.

There are multiple places that I can find where the light could be getting read from - 2 places in blocks.xml and in localization.txt. As mentioned before, the following works at changing blocks.xml

<configs>
</configs>

I also changed every instance of, for example, "torchWallHolder,blocks,Light," to "torchWallHolder,blocks,," in Localization.txt.

Still have lights, so now I wonder if they aren't set somewhere in compiled code, or baked in when you save a POI in the editor.

Curious why you're touching Localization.txt. I thought you were just trying to turn off the lights.

It's like when you are in a very dark room and you know roundabouts where the door is, but you still stub your toe on an end-table trying to find it. Localization was the end-table. I know that "torchWallHolder,blocks,Light," looks like a flat file so I changed it there just in case. Having changed blocks.xml gave no result, so that was the next step.

I am armed with a little knowledge; pity that which I shall break!

It's like when you are in a very dark room and you know roundabouts where the door is, but you still stub your toe on an end-table trying to find it. Localization was the end-table. I know that "torchWallHolder,blocks,Light," looks like a flat file so I changed it there just in case. Having changed blocks.xml gave no result, so that was the next step.

I am armed with a little knowledge; pity that which I shall break!

"To see the light, one cannot be blind; but sometimes, it's the light that blinds us."

Localization.txt simply stores the text you seen in the game in different languages. For instance, when the game wants to display the name of something, for instance, a torch wall holder, it will look in that file for a row with a certain key, in this case torchWallHolder, and then it will be able to find the appropriate text to display based on your language setting, as that row of text holds "Torch Wall Holder" in each language. This is not the right path for you.

I'm sorry I've yet the chance to search for the information you seek. Perhaps today.

"To eat from the lunch buffet, all must pay $7.95, but sometimes if you look closer it is the child who eats for free"

I wasn't sure and while I guessed that it would have no effect, I had to try - I was out options. And please don't apologize - I really appreciate the help you all have given.

Archived