New forum design

Kalex

Just to reassure everyone...the current look of the forum is not intended. Someone is working on getting the old theme or something like it back again. These colors are just the default dark theme and will be customized for 7 Days to Die soon.

Wait... wut?

The website is being redesigned live? Nobody thought to get the majority of the work done on a pre-production copy?

Temporary. Sorry, I was responding to people who were concerned with the wasted space at the top and the color scheme. They didn’t seem to know. Glad you do.

Being able to post in stickied threads and in the news and announcement forum should return soon.

Wait... wut?

The website is being redesigned live? Nobody thought to get the majority of the work done on a pre-production copy?

Again, this is not the redesign in progress. This is upgrading vbulletin 4 to vbulletin 5 and using the default forum setup until the redesign can happen. The redesign will occur on a pre-production copy and be uploaded complete. While that happens we have this in the interim. Your patience is appreciated.

Again, this is not the redesign in progress. This is upgrading vbulletin 4 to vbulletin 5 and using the default forum setup until the redesign can happen. The redesign will occur on a pre-production copy and be uploaded complete. While that happens we have this in the interim. Your patience is appreciated.

You're not understanding what gronk is saying, although some of your words make it appear you somewhat do...

... normally, these types of things don't happen in a live environment. They get done offline and when they're ready, i.e. *completely* ready, go live.

Making changes like this to a live forum is... Odd.

The only thing I found to be genuinely worse is logging in.

This new setup automatically logs me out every time so I can't just have one link to start it up with "new posts".

If I try that then I get to the login screen... fine, whatever... but then it counts the first login as "a search" even though it never did the search and I get to wait 15 seconds.

Still rough around the edges, I guess.

You're not understanding what gronk is saying, although some of your words make it appear you somewhat do...

... normally, these types of things don't happen in a live environment. They get done offline and when they're ready, i.e. *completely* ready, go live.

Making changes like this to a live forum is... Odd.

I can’t speak to what’s normal. In the discussions we had before the change it was determined that the upgrade would have to happen first and then the theme would have to be done afterward. The upgrade had to happen because the old version was no longer being supported. I’m not a web designer so I don’t know whether the upgrade and the design could’ve all been done behind the scenes and then implemented all at once . People more in the know than me decided to do it this way. Sorry for the annoyance and disruption anyone is experiencing.

Well this is... interesting. I definitely don't like it (mainly cuz I don't like change), but I read the posts and will remain patient in hopes that it gets better.

For the record though, I noticed I'm able to edit other ppl's posts and view their IP address and can close / delete topics, etc... I think maybe fixing that should be priority 1. Wouldn't want any trolls taking advantage.

Also noticed I can see Moderator hangouts section and probably other sections I'm not supposed to as well. Luckily, I can't view them (just redirects me to main forums page).

People will always hate changes - at least, most of them.

I like the new design, however, i would like a better font-color, both for reading any typing. Grey on dark, and almost grey on grey in the reply-ready is a no-go in 2020. I understand what you're trying to get it to be inspired by the same colors, as the game and so, but the overall colors needs to be corrected a bit. That's for sure. It wont take long time, to make the changes :-)

Also, fix the top-banner. The current format and size, makes no sense :-)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tG3sHAad.png Views:\t42 Size:\t39.1 KB ID:\t1716197","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1716197","data-size":"full","title":"G3sHAad.png"}[/ATTACH]

I tried to paste a image, and was happy to see that upload startet - however, the image-link was broken, and after trying to submit my post, the page returned this message:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tQT9INq1.png Views:\t42 Size:\t59.8 KB ID:\t1716198","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1716198","data-size":"full","title":"QT9INq1.png"}[/ATTACH]

_But i'm happy with the better experience, when it comes to using images. The old forum had way to many limitations, related to size and so_ :-)

And oh, the spoiler-button is missing an icon:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tg4ChTv4.png Views:\t42 Size:\t55.0 KB ID:\t1716199","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1716199","data-size":"full","title":"g4ChTv4.png"}[/ATTACH]

It would also be nice to have auto-embedded images, like it's done on most other forum-software, nowadays.

As stated by Roland, this is a temporary theme and a new version is being made.

The banner has been made smaller for the temp theme. I will take a look at the posting of images and the error you received. As for the spoiler icon, it isn't missing an image as that is the vBulletin look of the spoiler button

Well this is... interesting. I definitely don't like it (mainly cuz I don't like change), but I read the posts and will remain patient in hopes that it gets better.

For the record though, I noticed I'm able to edit other ppl's posts and view their IP address and can close / delete topics, etc... I think maybe fixing that should be priority 1. Wouldn't want any trolls taking advantage.

Also noticed I can see Moderator hangouts section and probably other sections I'm not supposed to as well. Luckily, I can't view them (just redirects me to main forums page).

It was just you, you were still listed as a moderator for some sections. Thank you for being honest and bringing this to our attention.

It was just you, you were still listed as a moderator for some sections. Thank you for being honest and bringing this to our attention.

Haha, that's funny. Good thing I'm always honest. :) I was also able to do a lot more, which I pointed out to Roland in PM... for example, I had access to moderator / admin panel where I could have adjusted things like lower Guppycur's post count and make mine higher, lol. You fixed it all though... I'm back to being a peasant again. :p

I don't like that now I have to login every time instead of using a set link. the forum overall is now turtle slow for me, don't know if it is for others as well. I REALLY miss being able to go straight to the end of a thread with the last page button. I normally would do that on long threads then page back to where I had left off the day before so I could then read on and stay current. Now it's not possible to go right to the end. Miss the rep system as well, it was unique. Now we're back to the generic like system that every other site in the world uses. Funny that actually, the forum is now getting more generic same as the game is getting more generic. I know the forum is a work in progress and my hope is it returns to some of it's older state. It really was much better.

I think the forum will get much better FPS if they have occlusion working and some shader optimization. Forum user AI may be a problem though because navigating through the forum takes a lot of cpu cycles. I don't think we can afford more than 64 forum users at the same time :sneakiness:

Sorry, i was trying to run the search engine indexing, i will run it later tonight.

Do what you need to do homie. Right now between the interface and locked sections the forum is practically down anyway... Might as well knock out everything you want to do sooner rather than in pieces.

/My two cents

Do what you need to do homie. Right now between the interface and locked sections the forum is practically down anyway... Might as well knock out everything you want to do sooner rather than in pieces.

/My two cents

With your permission I shall start it again then ;-P

The current design is just the default basic design. We needed to upgrade the forums first and the design will follow. Please be patient and we will get back a pleasing interface that is tailored to 7 Days to Die just as before. In the meantime please post what you like or want as far as features. For example, individual posts can be given a "thumbs up" that is publicly shown which is something we never had before.

Wow even the forums are a placeholder for a future vision.

I don't like that now I have to login every time instead of using a set link. the forum overall is now turtle slow for me, don't know if it is for others as well. I REALLY miss being able to go straight to the end of a thread with the last page button. I normally would do that on long threads then page back to where I had left off the day before so I could then read on and stay current. Now it's not possible to go right to the end. Miss the rep system as well, it was unique. Now we're back to the generic like system that every other site in the world uses. Funny that actually, the forum is now getting more generic same as the game is getting more generic. I know the forum is a work in progress and my hope is it returns to some of it's older state. It really was much better.

You shouldn’t need to login each time. There is a remember me box you can check. I’ve remained logged in just like before. My last post was 3 hours ago and I didn’t have to log back in.

You can also go to the end of a thread by clicking the green arrow icon at the title of the thread. Don’t click the title to get into the thread, click the little green icon.

Generic isn’t the goal. We will have a fully customized and thematic 7 Days to Die background soon just like before.

I was referring to unique features, not artistic backgrounds. As I said directly in my post.

"Miss the rep system as well, it was unique. Now we're back to the generic like system that every other site in the world uses."

We will look at the rep system. Hopefully we can have both systems as they each give interesting information. Personally, I like the post centered rep that shows public agreement or appreciation of a particular postt but no negative thumbing down. The old version had a negative aspect to it that was a source of problems for the moderation team.

• Higher-contrast text, especially in the Search box. Please keep white or near-white on black or dark grey. Do not do black on grey.
  • No more "go advanced" for the editor - it's all advanced, all the time woo!
  • "Insert paragraph here" could be useful
  • Floating search, page selection, and filter always at the top

Dislikes:

• No page list on each thread right in the forum thread list - made it easy to just skip to the end of a thread I've already participated in
  • No partial quoting (old system did not have it either tho)
  • If you opt to quote someone's post after you have started your reply, your reply is blown away (instead of just inserting the quote at the cursor)
  • If you un-quote a post (de-selecting the Quote toggle under their post, changing it back from yellow to white), then your post is blown away again. Not just the quoted part, the whole post gets erased

Wishlist:

• Partial quoting i.e. select part of someone's diatribe and click Quote to only have that portion carried into the new reply (or even better, pop up a Quote button right next to your selection)
  • Multi-quoting - select part of A's diatribe and partial-quote, then select part of B's diatribe and partial-quote it into the same reply at current cursor position
  • (Unicorn request) - a "collapse all/expand/expand all" option so we can just see poster's name, timestamp, and first line of body and then expand the replies we want to read

vBulletin has always been one of my favorite forum platforms. Very customizable. I'm sure 7D2D forums will be back on-brand in no time.

The color (grey text on grey and black background) is strenuous on the eyes. Needs more contrast.

And there should be way more posts showing up on one page, why only ten?

If you go to your settings you can change the number of posts that show. I have mine on 30 and it is working. Threads on the main page are still stuck at 10 with no way that I've found so far to increase. But once inside a thread you can increase the number of posts you see. I would also like to see more than 10 threads showing on the first page of any subforum.

Archived