When did you start playing the game?

Roland

When did you start playing the game?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start playing the game?

I started in Alpha 9 and have thousands of hours. I have enjoyed each new version as they have come out, so much so when trying to go back to a previous version I can't stand it. This game just keeps getting better. As you can see I hardly post but have been a lurker for many years. Reading these forums is very entertaining.

Agreed, though if you consider some of the larger core game changes, you might set it up more like this...

Alpha 1-9

Alpha 10-14.4

Alpha 14.5-16

Alpha 17-18

What changed between 14.4 and 14.5? I didn't play that much because the graphics were broken on the Linux version, and didn't get fixed until A15.

Alpha 11-16:

The game started adding progression of tools and weapons in Alpha 11. Over the next alphas different ways of progressing the quality of gear and eventually the player character as well were experimented with. Passive progression of gear stats and player skills (LBD) was a key feature of this era. This era culminated in Alpha 16 which is well remembered and loved.

I’m not here to re-hash the debate on which is better, but that’s not the terminology I would have used. I wouldn’t call it an era of passive progression. Learn by doing required, y’know, doing. :p I would label it more accurately and characteristically as an era of direct 1-to-1 progression, and now we have an era of indirect or generalized progression.

I’m not here to re-hash the debate on which is better, but that’s not the terminology I would have used. I wouldn’t call it an era of passive progression. Learn by doing required, y’know, doing. :p I would label it more accurately and characteristically as an era of direct 1-to-1 progression, and now we have an era of indirect or generalized progression.

No harm meant. I simply used it to mean that as players played the game their stats increased under the hood. I don't mind retracting the word "passive" if it offends. Simply talking about skills and abilities increasing in the background as you play the game rather than stopping to spend a point to make the skill or ability increase. That's all.

In Alpha 11, the very first iteration of this, the quality of our tools increased every time we crafted with a +/- 50 point randomizer thrown in. That was the beginning of a major change in player focus for playing....

No harm meant. I simply used it to mean that as players played the game their stats increased under the hood. I don't mind retracting the word "passive" if it offends. Simply talking about skills and abilities increasing in the background as you play the game rather than stopping to spend a point to make the skill or ability increase. That's all.

In Alpha 11, the very first iteration of this, the quality of our tools increased every time we crafted with a +/- 50 point randomizer thrown in. That was the beginning of a major change in player focus for playing....

Ah. From that perspective, it makes more sense. Carry on. :)

Started 14 or 15... Quit early 18. 17 sucked hard. Waited for 18 and it wasnt a lot better at gameplay.

Same.

My brother introduced me to it in the middle of the A15 span. Loved it. Drained so many hours into it. A17, I couldn't do. Despised (what I view as) the absolute dumbing down of the experiential learning system into the generic grind-for-points system we have today. I came back to the end of A17, then saw the massively increased grind-fest that A18 became. Left with nothing but bitter disappointment. That was the very end of October (2019). My second-oldest son asked me to install it and play with him today, so I installed it this afternoon to spend some gaming time with him. Realistically, I'll probably play a couple more hours this week, then we'll jump back into Deep Rock Galactic again, and I'll have this uninstalled before the week's out, and go back to lurking in the Discord and forums to see if we'll ever divert back away from... whatever we want to call this current iteration of the game.

I think it's called Experiential Learning, meaning learning through experience. It's a mix of hands-on learning, and reflection on experiences after the fact. The old system was a great mechanic to emulate that behavior.

Archived