Suddenly starving?

miffo

So, the night was just over, and I went out for my hunt for Iron (Day 6). I was over 130 in hydration, and about 100 in fullness. I ran around a bit, and found an iron ore, which I started to mine.

After a few hits, I noticed my Stamina was going down, so I decided to take a quick break and eat my one Egg & Bacon I had left at the moment.

Suddenly I'm starving?

I mean, I'm going from 90 to 30 in fullness, without any intermediate steps. The Egg and bacon is consumed, but it stops ticking up on stamina for it, even though I clicked on it just about one second before.

So is this a bug or something?

It's not the first time it's happened to me either since I installed A18 yesterday.

I am 99% sure that I have hallucinated a vomit sound effect with it. I usually only know that I'm poisoned because I hear the HUUUURRGGGGGH sound effect and look over at my food bar to see it at 30.

A quick check of the XML files shows that you are not hallucinating. The food poisoning debuff has a vomiting sound effect.

<buff name="buffIllFoodPoisoning01" name_key="buffIllFoodPoisoning01Name" description_key="buffIllFoodPoisoning01Desc" tooltip_key="buffIllFoodPoisoning01Desc" icon="ui_game_symbol_food_poisoning" icon_color="255,128,0">
               <damage_type value="Disease"/>
               <stack_type value="ignore"/>
               <duration value="5"/>
               <effect_group>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Water" operation="add" value="-20"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" value_type="modifiedmax" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" value_type="modifiedmax" operation="add" value="3"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="PlaySound" sound="player#vomit"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmount" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterAmount" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmountAdd" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterAmountAdd" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmountAdd2" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterAmountAdd2" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterStaminaRegenAmount" operation="set" value="0"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffHealHealth">
                                       <requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="medicalHealthAmount" operation="LTE" value="0"/>
                       </triggered_effect>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffHealStaminaMax"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffHealWaterMax"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffWaterStaminaRegen"/>
               </effect_group>
       </buff>

A quick check of the XML files shows that you are not hallucinating. The food poisoning debuff has a vomiting sound effect.

<buff name="buffIllFoodPoisoning01" name_key="buffIllFoodPoisoning01Name" description_key="buffIllFoodPoisoning01Desc" tooltip_key="buffIllFoodPoisoning01Desc" icon="ui_game_symbol_food_poisoning" icon_color="255,128,0">
               <damage_type value="Disease"/>
               <stack_type value="ignore"/>
               <duration value="5"/>
               <effect_group>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Water" operation="add" value="-20"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" value_type="modifiedmax" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyStats" stat="Stamina" value_type="modifiedmax" operation="add" value="3"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="PlaySound" sound="player#vomit"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmount" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterAmount" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmountAdd" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterAmountAdd" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmountAdd2" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterAmountAdd2" operation="set" value="0"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$waterStaminaRegenAmount" operation="set" value="0"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffHealHealth">
                                       <requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="medicalHealthAmount" operation="LTE" value="0"/>
                       </triggered_effect>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffHealStaminaMax"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffHealWaterMax"/>
                       <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="buffWaterStaminaRegen"/>
               </effect_group>
       </buff>

huh...waddya know.... I haven't vomitted in a long time despite statistical scare tactics employed to try to pressure TFP into changing the feature.... ;)

huh...waddya know.... I haven't vomitted in a long time despite statistical scare tactics employed to try to pressure TFP into changing the feature.... ;)

And I recently threw up twice in a row. It's all random.

Everyone has their own experience with this game mechanics. Some love it, some hate it and some don't even know it exists and are confused why they suddenly starve for no apparent reason. I still think it is a bad game mechanic and I have my reasons for that. But all this has been discussed over and over again.

If the debuff gave you a penalty to consuming more food (no healing, reduced stamina gain, chance to throw up and lose stamina) then it would be punitive, but only in the immediate short term (length of debuff). In it's current iteration (immediate loss of most stamina), the most logical thing to do especially in early game is to IMMEDIATELY eat a handful of glass and respawn. This is especially true for me as my food is right next to the bed, so if I get unlucky I can be back in the game in moments, with only a small XP penalty. Since it's easy to meta (XP is essentially unlimited, go build some wood frames) it's a bad mechanic and should be discarded or modified.

That's an instant naw dawg and eating of broken glass commences.

with only a small XP penalty. Since it's easy to meta (XP is essentially unlimited, go build some wood frames)

Completely agree that the death penalty is way too small and should be increased or changed to something that is actually impactful.

If the debuff gave you a penalty to consuming more food (no healing, reduced stamina gain, chance to throw up and lose stamina) then it would be punitive, but only in the immediate short term (length of debuff). In it's current iteration (immediate loss of most stamina), the most logical thing to do especially in early game is to IMMEDIATELY eat a handful of glass and respawn. This is especially true for me as my food is right next to the bed, so if I get unlucky I can be back in the game in moments, with only a small XP penalty. Since it's easy to meta (XP is essentially unlimited, go build some wood frames) it's a bad mechanic and should be discarded or modified.

Wait...throwing up and losing stamina, which can immediately be corrected by simply eating again, causes you to suicide your character?

Okay, I don't understand that, but I absolutely encourage everybody to play how they enjoy. I do thank you for anchoring the left side of the bell-curve, opposite from the "dead is dead" folks (whom I understand, but I'm not a DiD player myself).

Wait...throwing up and losing stamina, which can immediately be corrected by simply eating again, causes you to suicide your character?

It's the sunken cost fallacy. Eating cooked food without vitamins or the perk carries the small risk that your stamina will be wiped out. Every time you eat, there is some risk (I think all the healthy stuff has the same risk %). So if I eat like 3 bacons and eggs to get my stamina up, and the third is a poison pill, I've now wasted 3 of them: 3 spent for no stamina gain. At this point my options are

1. Eat more healthy foods to regain the lost stamina
  2. Kill myself for a full bar of stamina at cost of some XP
  3. Try to play the game with 30 stamina

While I could eat more foods, at this point I've already invested the food cost (which is high, as I consider food rare, spending a lot of time building) so the logical thing to do from a survival perspective is kill myself. Because while I have no more food, I'm building and that is a bottomless well of XP.

The extreme thing would be to stop eating altogether, only build, and only kill myself when my stamina is too low to move around the build site.

It's the sunken cost fallacy. Eating cooked food without vitamins or the perk carries the small risk that your stamina will be wiped out. Every time you eat, there is some risk (I think all the healthy stuff has the same risk %). So if I eat like 3 bacons and eggs to get my stamina up, and the third is a poison pill, I've now wasted 3 of them: 3 spent for no stamina gain. At this point my options are

1. Eat more healthy foods to regain the lost stamina
  2. Kill myself for a full bar of stamina at cost of some XP
  3. Try to play the game with 30 stamina

While I could eat more foods, at this point I've already invested the food cost (which is high, as I consider food rare, spending a lot of time building) so the logical thing to do from a survival perspective is kill myself. Because while I have no more food, I'm building and that is a bottomless well of XP.

The extreme thing would be to stop eating altogether, only build, and only kill myself when my stamina is too low to move around the build site.

Very logical. Also logical is to not build a horde base at all and either just let yourself get killed (after which you can hide from the zombies) or drive around.

If death is just an option,one is playing the game in god mode.

so the logical thing to do from a survival perspective is kill myself.

I disagree. It is the logical thing to do from an efficiency perspective. But it most certainly is not a logical thing to do from a survival perspective. If you really have a survival perspective then death equals a lost game and killing yourself just to get out of the inconvenience of working yourself back up to full stamina is definitely a non-survival gameplay move.

If the game was set to Dead is Dead would you kill yourself rather than eat back up to 100% stamina? If the answer is no then you shouldn't kill yourself anyway. Survival perspective is that sometimes ♥♥♥♥ happens and then you have to cope and struggle to overcome the consequences. That is the survival perspective. Killing yourself because it is easiest and fastest is something else entirely.

But if avoiding the struggle or added food cost makes the game more fun for you then do it. Not saying people shouldn't play how they like. I just wouldn't call that particular tactic a survival perspective.

While I could eat more foods, at this point I've already invested the food cost (which is high, as I consider food rare, spending a lot of time building) so the logical thing to do from a survival perspective is kill myself.

It's logical to kill yourself to survive? I think you've got a little misunderstanding here. When you're dead, you haven't survived.

I'm certainly not a fan of this game mechanics but I wouldn't commit suicide in the game.

In the early game I only eat canned food off base. Only in the later game when I have a lot of food I eat cooked food outside the base.

Recently I had to throw up outside the base but I had enough reserves to eat myself full again. When I was back in the base I simply refilled my stock in the inventory.

Archived