Zombie AI feels very weak

KennyBMallNinja

Okay I'm not getting ready for my day 112 Horde and been using a Motel POI as my horde base. Initially my plan was to sit on the 3rd level with the walkway busted out 2 blocks with a set of frames on the other side to form a wall to keep them from jumping across. However the pathfinding with the zombies seems to make them gather in the office and beat on the walls in there. Now I watch a bunch of people playing on Youtube and it seems the AI for the PC far surpasses the Console even in older versions.

Just to be upfront I am not trying to exploit the AI but trying to make it more realistic in the sense that I'd hope the zombies have better pathfinding to come and try and kill me. With the current horde base my only concern ever is spider zombies and even then I mitigated them by placing 2 wood blocks on my entry point to the 3rd level.

Okay I'm not getting ready for my day 112 Horde and been using a Motel POI as my horde base. Initially my plan was to sit on the 3rd level with the walkway busted out 2 blocks with a set of frames on the other side to form a wall to keep them from jumping across. However the pathfinding with the zombies seems to make them gather in the office and beat on the walls in there. Now I watch a bunch of people playing on Youtube and it seems the AI for the PC far surpasses the Console even in older versions.

Just to be upfront I am not trying to exploit the AI but trying to make it more realistic in the sense that I'd hope the zombies have better pathfinding to come and try and kill me. With the current horde base my only concern ever is spider zombies and even then I mitigated them by placing 2 wood blocks on my entry point to the 3rd level.

horde nights arent particularly threatening past day 14. At that point you probably have gone a fair way to setting up your base. Since the AI is so limited on console all that really means is dig a hole or get up high. There have been times when all i would do is dig a hole, throw a hatch on top and sit all night long wherever i was at the time. Alternatively you could sit in the water and zeds wont spawn anywhere near you. in both scenarios all you do is wait for morning and kill whatever you see since ther arent buffed anymore

horde nights arent particularly threatening past day 14. At that point you probably have gone a fair way to setting up your base. Since the AI is so limited on console all that really means is dig a hole or get up high. There have been times when all i would do is dig a hole, throw a hatch on top and sit all night long wherever i was at the time. Alternatively you could sit in the water and zeds wont spawn anywhere near you. in both scenarios all you do is wait for morning and kill whatever you see since ther arent buffed anymore

Hopefully when if and when they redo 7D2D for the console they will have the improved AI. I might have to move my zombies' aggression and have them run all the time to make the game a bit more challenging now. Also I noticed that unlike the PC zombies only spawn in a handful of buildings. I looted an entire apartment building and never saw a single zombie and it was one of the extremely tall ones.

Hopefully when if and when they redo 7D2D for the console they will have the improved AI. I might have to move my zombies' aggression and have them run all the time to make the game a bit more challenging now. Also I noticed that unlike the PC zombies only spawn in a handful of buildings. I looted an entire apartment building and never saw a single zombie and it was one of the extremely tall ones.

Runners all the time could be fun. But be a chore. Since after all you cant pause the game. So i'm always parking my character on a roof and what not if I have to use the bathroom or get another beer. Not if your in the tunnels digging all day then its to easy missing horde night.

Runners all the time could be fun. But be a chore. Since after all you cant pause the game. So i'm always parking my character on a roof and what not if I have to use the bathroom or get another beer. Not if your in the tunnels digging all day then its to easy missing horde night.

The zombie AI is one of the more glaring weaknesses in the game for the simple fact there is no middle ground. You can play as intended with Zeds running at night but then its fairly boring during the day. You could have them run all the time but like you said you cant pause so you would have to fortify whenever you have to stop for than a minute. I suppose you could just as easily dig down and avoid runners but then that is the solution to this version of the game overall.

Archived