Announcement A18.3 b4 goes EXP

Hated

18.3 has not yet come out of experimental. This release is simply an extension of the current experimental and its focus is almost primarily localization. Until 18.3 is proclaimed stable let’s not treat it as though it has been actually released.

Bug fixes are being done and are in fact a huge focus but they are going into the A19 branch. Some may be exported to A18 but for goodness sakes people, A18 isn’t the game. It is a dead end. Someday it will be a simple curiosity for people to load up and see what the game was like at this stage and that’s all. Don’t get married to A18.

The future is A19 and it will kill A18 so as long as the bug fixes are going there it’s all good. A19 is closer than you might think and at some point it becomes a waste of time moving stuff from A19 to A18.

The future is A19 and it will kill A18 so as long as the bug fixes are going there it’s all good. A19 is closer than you might think and at some point it becomes a waste of time moving stuff from A19 to A18.

I think the problem is we who, mind you we do not get a paycheck from TFP for our work, report bugs deserve some kind of feedback from the QA Testers. The lack of communication on part of the QA Testers is what makes us players who take time out of our day to write up a report feel ignored.

I could give example after example of this happening but all one needs to do is look at the bug reporting section for a month and you will see.

If we the players who are not paid to report bugs takes the time out of our day to write up a report, the very least the QA Testers could do in return is just acknowledge the report in a timely manner and without a player needing to complain in order to get a response. If proper communication happened between the testers and the players then none of us would feel as if we are wasting our time reporting. :)

EDIT: I want to say this has not always been an issue, only after A18 dropped. Prior to this going back to A14 (A14 for me is when i started reporting) the QA Testers were always really good about responding. Not sure what changed when A18 dropped.

EDIT: for better clarification I added this to my statement. "f we the players who are not paid to report bugs takes the time out of our day to write up a report, the very least the QA Testers could do in return is just acknowledge the report in a timely manner and without a player sometimes needing to complain in order to get a response. "

Newest Bug thread has 37/50 posts responded to by a QA team member. Of the posts not responded to only a few of them were bug reports and the rest were people responding to other people or making non-bug comments like they shouldn't be doing.

I don't see what you mean by no responses. Maybe they are improving and the newest thread is a fluke. I'll go do a bit of counting in the previous one. Be right back....

Previous bug thread has 78/134 posts responded to by a QA team member.

Counting will not give an honest picture of what is going on. That is why I said one needs to view the bug section for a month. Everyday for a month and you will see the pattern. I could explain in depth but again, I direct people to watching the section for a month to see. All of us who report bugs know exactly what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I'll give one example of myself. I reported a bug that was indeed a bug. 3 weeks went by without a response from any QA Tester. Once I complained and brought exactly what I brought up here to the QA Testers they went and looked at every report I made and then responded.

That 1 bug I reported that went 3 weeks without being responded to...once I complained they responded with "verified and reported". I had to complain in order for my report to be seen, which is not what i was trying to do nor should any player have to do. Same thing happened to JaxTeller718 others.

Counting will not give an honest picture of what is going on. That is why I said one needs to view the bug section for a month. Everyday for a month and you will see the pattern. I could explain in depth but again, I direct people to watching the section for a month to see. All of us who report bugs know exactly what I'm talking about.

Uh....okay....

You say the QA team doesn't respond to anyone and I show they do and then suddenly the evidence doesn't show the correct picture? Most of the responses are them taking the time to say "Thank you, noted." and "Confirmed" which is exactly what you said would be great.

Taking in the two threads I counted goes back to December which is a month's worth of time. If you are going to accuse the QA team of ignoring bug reports or of not at least acknowledging them please be more specific about what you are talking about. Link me to one of your bug reports that got ignored, please.

I never accused the QA Testers of ignoring please do not put words in my mouth. I said it feels like we are being ignored not that the QA Testers are ignoring us.

EDIT: mind you I am not the only one who has voiced this. 3 other people in this thread has stated they feel the same exact way and they stopped reporting as well because of the feeling of being ignored.

If there is this many that feel the same way, maybe that is because we are telling the truth. If it was only I then I would say huh maybe its just me. :)

EDIT: I also never said the QA Teams doesn't respond to anyone. Again please do not put words in my mouth that i never said.

I never accused the QA Testers of ignoring please do not put words in my mouth. I said it feels like we are being ignored not that the QA Testers are ignoring us.

EDIT: mind you I am not the only one who has voiced this. 3 other people in this thread has stated they feel the same exact way and they stopped reporting as well because of the feeling of being ignored.

If there is this many that feel the same way, maybe that is because we are telling the truth. If it was only I then I would say huh maybe its just me. :)

I know it isn't just you. Those others are welcome to speak up and tell me that all those examples over the past month where they are responding to bug reports don't count either...lol

I'm sorry if you and those others are feeling ignored. I don't know what to tell you. But QA are reading bug reports and responding as they see fit and judging by the only metric I know how to use it seems like they are doing a pretty good job.

Also people tend to report the bugs that bother THEM the most and those bugs may not be priority fixes at the moment. If I had a nickel for every bug that was reported as being game breaking that wasn't remotely game breaking I'd be at the gift card change machine right now signing up for a free dinner at Outback Steakhouse.....

I know it isn't just you. Those others are welcome to speak up and tell me that all those examples over the past month where they are responding to bug reports don't count either...lol

I'm sorry if you and those others are feeling ignored. I don't know what to tell you. But QA are reading bug reports and responding as they see fit and judging by the only metric I know how to use it seems like they are doing a pretty good job.

Also people tend to report the bugs that bother THEM the most and those bugs may not be priority fixes at the moment. If I had a nickel for every bug that was reported as being game breaking that wasn't remotely game breaking I'd be at the gift card change machine right now signing up for a free dinner at Outback Steakhouse.....

I believe the QA Testers do indeed read 90% of the bug reports, the other 10% are those who are ignored because they fail to fill out the report properly...they should be ignored lol. Its just the feeling of being ignored is what bothers us. Do they do there job...yes no doubt about it. Its just a feeling we get and maybe thats our problem and not the problem of the QA Testers. :)

EDIT: Edited my previous post to better clarify what I meant so no one else misinterprets what I mean.

@Roland Here is another example.

Here is JaxTeller718 reporting a bug https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?139459-A18-3-b3-b4-EXP-Bug-reports&p=1082408&viewfull=1#post1082408

3 reports below that was responded to. (I know this because I look at the bug reports daily) yet Jax report was ignored.

1 week later Jax had to comment again and only after stating "No worries fixed it myself since no one seemed to notice our reports" was his report actually acknowledged.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?139459-A18-3-b3-b4-EXP-Bug-reports&p=1084431&viewfull=1#post1084431

People feel they are being ignored because they file a report and do not get a response yet there could be 10 more reports that get reported after that and they get a response. It's no suprise why some of us feel as if we are being ignored.

The bug I used as an example that I reported that did not get a response for 3 weeks, same thing happened to me. I reported it..days go by no response. Other report bugs after my report and they get a response yet mine did not. I complained and only then, 3 weeks later did it finally get a response of verified and reported.

I hope this paints a better picture as to why players feel they are being ignored.

anyways I've let my voice be heard enough about this issue I'll shut up now lol. :)

Because I am a man of my word and I told Schwanz900 I would link this should this ever come up again.

Here is a link to my discussion I had with one of the QA Testers when I brought this up on 11-13-2019

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134245-QA-Testers

"I can assure you that QA is working feverishly to try and squash as many bugs as possible. Working through bug reports is one of our top priorities. Sometimes the reports are very quick to reproduce and easy to respond to. Sometimes it takes hours/days/weeks to figure out how Johnny D got his 4x4 to disappear into the night. Sometimes, these reports lead us to finding other bugs that no one even knows about and are fixed behind the scenes. It all takes time.

We see your reports and are VERY thankful for your help. We just don't always have the opportunity to reply to everything. Personally, in the newest threads, I've tried to address as many as possible." -schwanz9000

do we have to have a personal acknowledgement all of the time?

write something into the forum mechanics where devs qa and moderators can check a box on a post that lets them know it has been seen.

options like 'first report, under investigation' or 'read - thanks' or 'reported already' or 'more info please' or whatever

simple click and done.

lets posters know that they have been seen, with minimal interaction

provides a way to see if all posts have been at least reviewed, for management, and posters

provides metrics, for management, on engagement with the community from devs qa mods

no more wasting time counting post replies, pull up the kpis

but ffs dont dumb it down to a bottle blonde 'like'

Long way from "it IS going to be removed" to "i just hope they leave the holdtype" to support some other modder in calling Joel a liar.

Get the point?

Cheers

Well, with the splat maps implemented and the terrain being locked you CANT revert to the old farming, just like it was said we could so.... no need to wait for the hoe to be removed, that promise was broken months ago ;)

Long way from "it IS going to be removed" to "i just hope they leave the holdtype" to support some other modder in calling Joel a liar.

Get the point?

Cheers

No, I don't. The model WILL get removed because they've been cleaning up the asset files and I believe they are redoing the models for most of the tools in A19.

And I do hope the hold type remains, because I believe (and may be wrong on this) that the hold type just tells the UMA where to place the players hands and what animations to play on left/right click. So in theory, that would be a lot of work to just remove and shouldn't take a large amount of data to just leave in.

Fact of the matter is, I am PRETTY sure we were told the old farming could be put back with some simple XML edits (would have to go looking to check). That will no longer be the case.

Please stop trying to argue for the sake of it. You've really been on that kick of late and it is not helpful.

Well, with the splat maps implemented and the terrain being locked you CANT revert to the old farming, just like it was said we could so.... no need to wait for the hoe to be removed, that promise was broken months ago ;)

I actually got it working without disabling the splat after talking to Joel. You HAVE to use the texture from terrDirt or it doesn't work.

Here are two examples of Ignore bug reports: Note that all bug reports before and after are clearly answered.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?136445-A18-2-b5-stable-bug-report-thread&p=1074494&viewfull=1#post1074494

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?136445-A18-2-b5-stable-bug-report-thread&p=1076565&viewfull=1#post1076565

The fact that these two reports have not been answered to at all while the rest is, that is what sets me off and makes me think: Guess they do not want MY reports, even though valid.

Here are two examples of Ignore bug reports: Note that all bug reports before and after are clearly answered.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?136445-A18-2-b5-stable-bug-report-thread&p=1074494&viewfull=1#post1074494

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?136445-A18-2-b5-stable-bug-report-thread&p=1076565&viewfull=1#post1076565

The fact that these two reports have not been answered to at all while the rest is, that is what sets me off and makes me think: Guess they do not want MY reports, even though valid.

Hmmmmz. Looking at the names of those /being ignored/ i cant help but put a relation on attitude in posts towards owners/devs in (recent) past and the /silence/ on the bugreports....

j/k ;)

Cheers

Hmmmmz. Looking at the names of those /being ignored/ i cant help but put a relation on attitude in posts towards owners/devs in (recent) past and the /silence/ on the bugreports....

j/k ;)

Cheers

Nice theory, but a bug report from me also got no comment (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134531-A18-2-b2-EXP-bug-thread&p=1063732&viewfull=1#post1063732) and I don't think I was noticed for bad attitude, except for maybe posting too much :cocksure:

In this case it may have been ignored because RNG-complaints are probably the horror for testers as it is a human shortcoming to judge probability of events and RNG complaints are numerous. It could also be because I had to use a mod to get enough test cases or did not wipe old saves. Or because my description was too obtuse (language barrier, overlong sentences...). Or it simply fell into oblivion. I just left it at that, but to be frank in some small way it still irks a bit (enough so I mentioned it to Fataal once and also here again. Oh well). Even though in my own work / private life I often miss answering mails because of lots of reasons not having to do with wanting to ignore the sender, so I know it is hard to avoid

I'm sure they never promised to leave in old unused code. At max they promised that old farming could be somehow modded on top of new systems, and even that would be a dangerous promise if not qualified with "if possible". No sensible developer will leave in unused old code (in alpha) that he then has to support for eternity.

In general, to be honest, i do not care how the QA team treats reports - they know better what they need...

but the errors that i pointed out were very easy to fix, without risking anything, so i'm a little surprised by this ignoring.

Archived