Jump to content

Doughs modlets


doughphunghus
 Share

Poll  

37 members have voted

  1. 1. Should I continue to try to keep as many of my mods as "Server side safe" as possible? "Server Side safe" means (curently) trying to add no special icons, resources, etc. and instead just tint/recolor existing in game items, not adding special blocks, etc.

    • Yes - I appreciate the easy usage of server side mods for both clients and servers. I like to connect to modded servers witout having to load any mods.
      22
    • No - I would rather have the extra graphics/assets/look/feel non server side safe mods allow. Everyone can deal with loading mods on their side.
      15
  2. 2. When a20 stable comes out, which set of mods would you like me to work on/make available for a20 first?

    • Doughs-Modlets
      22
    • Doughs-Khelldon's Modlets
      3
    • Doughs-MeanCloud's Modlets
      5
    • Doughs Entity Randomizer
      7
  3. 3. Do you use my modlets?

    • Yes
      35
    • No
      2


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Reckis said:

@doughphunghus I tried your 7D2D-EntityRandomizer and it seems a little bit heavily weighted towards running zombies, lol. Nightmare speed even.

 

Might just been my general bad luck with this sort of thing, just thought I would ask if you had encountered the same.

Yeah, I have actually :).  I also noticed in my latest personal modlet generation (not posted on github) a lot of the zeds are "too small". I was afraid they might be too biog and get stuck in doorways but a lot of them seem like I'm fighting angry teenagers. There's still a lot of tweaking to do to get a nice "decent range" for the settings.  I did try to make the settings a bit on the harder side just so it was more fun (and noticeable) but I may have gone a bit too high.  Let me see if i can tweak the newest settings I have and generate another modlet and post it on github.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ReckisI generated a new one with the newest settings.  I dropped all "top speeds" down a bit and bumped up the size average... assuming it all randomizes properly ;)

 

The new one is "Doughs-RandomizedEntities-For-a19_0_all-entities"

 

Changes are:

- 5x cloning. There are 410 randomized vanilla zombies in the modlet, 60 hostile animals, 20 friendly animals

- This one contains animal randomization

- I also made special customizations for exploding zeds ( cops and demolishers), so their explosions are random-er (block damage, radius, etc) and for the demolisher the time he takes to blow up is a little random as well. The "boom" properties of these is a little on the higher side as well...  I haven't run into one yet in my own game to see how it feels.

 

Let me know if you have any more input!

 

Also: if you load this one, be sure to remove the one you're using! Loading 2 of these at once probably won't work at all. :)

 

 

 

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

I was afraid they might be too biog and get stuck in doorways but a lot of them seem like I'm fighting angry teenagers.

I thought this part was funny and zombie variety is one of the reasons I use this and 0-CreaturePacksZombies. For a game where you literally see and kill hundreds if not thousands of zombies, the models are sorely limited.

 

47 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

I did try to make the settings a bit on the harder side just so it was more fun (and noticeable) but I may have gone a bit too high.

Lol, both of these things are in the eye of the beholder. If this turns out the way you want it to, I cant wait to get my hands on it so that I can tweak it to my level of fun :)

 

23 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

Let me know if you have any more input!

I will be testing the newest this weekend . . . hopefully and will be certain to let you know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CrazyAluminum said:

Buff Ambiance - Darker Nights and Buff Ambiance - Darker Inside already looks like as 0/black, so there is nowhere to decrease. Lighting switching between outdoor and indoor is done specifically for optimization purposes.

Interesting. Thanks!

 

In some of my "test" games it seemed like it was too bright (it would be dark(er) and then lighten up after a few seconds).  However, I did recently find myself inside some attics where it was 100% darkness, which is what I'm going for (in an enclosed space).  I think both the weather and "lightness" are affected quite a bit by how close you are to an "open hole".  Like, a single window, even if you are 5 blocks away,  will indicate "you're not entirely enclosed" and you'll have some light in the entire room as well as be affected by outdoor weather (and hear the outside wind) as I've seen the weather effects (hot/cold) come and go in strange ways when running around inside large buildings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, xxx73 said:

Nice work, love the sound mod :)

 

Thanks!  I've been thinking of adding more stuff (my last attempts to do doors and the forge didn't sound good so I didn't add them in) and it's a little time consuming but I still want to eventually do some more variations on:

- Door open/close (and maybe add fridge door/cooler)

- More glass breaking

- More "walking on trash"

- I've heard a lot of complaints about the vehicle/chainsaw/auger sounds.  Those might be tricky but if I could find some good sounds...

- More zed groaning, screaming, etc . So you're not quite sure which zed is "behind the door".  I tried this already and it was bad so I put it aside for a bit.  I think a lot of the zombie noises are slowed down/sped up sounds actual people made (like humans made them... TFP or friends of TFP?) and it's hard to splice and mess with them without it sounding really bad, and you can't really add any effects to them either.

- Maybe do more of the dogs barking. its a little repetitive when they're outside trying to get to you.

- Wood + metal "upgrading"  (and wood "breaking and downgrading") as its so common

- Cloth breaking as its a weird sound breaking up a lot of cloth (tents, etc.). to me the vanilla game cloth break sounds like a basketball bouncing

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PaddoPaulus said:

From the read me files in the mods Punishing Weather Rain More and Punishing Weather Temp More in Burnt Forest it looks like u either named them wrong or put the contense in the wrong mod folder.

Oh crap!  I’ll take a look at it tonight and see what happened. When I’ve made the “punishing weather...” mods and overrides I usually copy one and make changes to it to make the new ones.  Thanks!

 

Update: Those 2 mods should now be properly referencing themselves ;)  Thanks @PaddoPaulus!

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is Rabbit Of Caerbannog server friendly? Or will all players have to install the modlet locally? Reason why I ask is because I've tried it out before on a dedicated server and everyone gets errors when the rabbit tries to spawn in. So I stopped using it. But I thought it was because it was incompatible with v19.1. Since it has been updated I just wanted to make sure it was first server friendly. Then I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t tested it on a server, so I don’t know at this moment.  I have read that anything with “custom zeds” or “custom icons” or “unity.3D” files is not server friendly.  This mod has custom icons and unity.3D files.  There was an incompatibility with a19 (a spawn group it was using was removed) but I believe I fixed that, and it was not an NRE error.   
 

I’ll fire up a vanilla server and test it out this weekend, just to see if there’s anything I can do to fix it.  I thought about requesting this be put in the creature packs but I didn’t build it all myself so I don’t  have the source files for the rabbit skin, which I can probably get though as another modder on these forums made it who is very active. Without the source I can’t easily maintain it, which is a requirement for getting it added the creature packs, and is likely the best bet for keeping it maintained. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wondering if your Randomized Entities could possibly include randomizing archetypes. I know the UMA problem is there and the Z's use a prefab. Or add in the Creature Entities Pack prefabs as Z's like the bandits and survivors. I'm just tossing this up as I modded Kheldon's UMA Zombies in every release till now. And thanks for putting in the work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Taylorsd said:

Just wondering if your Randomized Entities could possibly include randomizing archetypes. I know the UMA problem is there and the Z's use a prefab. Or add in the Creature Entities Pack prefabs as Z's like the bandits and survivors. I'm just tossing this up as I modded Kheldon's UMA Zombies in every release till now. And thanks for putting in the work. 

Just clarifying as I'm not completely sure what an "archetype" is in the game: Do you mean "could you randomize a non zed, non animal?".  Probably, if I made some additions to the script.  If I look at "archetype" in the current a19.1 XML (inside entityclases.xml) I see a lot of commented out things like:

Quote

<entity_class name="zombieMiner" extends="zombieUMATemplateMale">
    <property name="Archetype" value="ZombieMiner"/>
    <property name="HandItem" value="meleeHandZombieWorkerFeral"/>
    <property name="ExperienceGain" value="1167"/>
    <property name="LootListOnDeath" value="82"/>
</entity_class>-->

 

Anyway... :) .... for testing this, it appears the "Creature Entities Pack prefabs as Z's like the bandits and survivors" is what you're looking for, and I can look into these.  Are there other mods with archetypes you're thinking of I can also test against?

 

Side note: I took over some of Khelldon's mods and the UMA Zeds stuff looked....like a lot of hard work ... so I never tried updating them since we have the creature packs :). I also heard UMA was possibly not going to be a thing in future releases so that also killed it for me, if true.

 

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The archetype just tell the game to assign specific mesh parts to an entity in entity_class.  Or did...

 

    <archetype name="BanditLeader" male="true" hair_color="148,74,40" eye_color="68,68,60" skin_color="175,175,175" type="None" stance="Like" voice_set="trader">
        <base_mesh_parts>
            <part slot="head" layer="base" mesh="male_base_face">
                <texture name="male_head" color="skin"/>
                <texture name="male_head_old" color="skin"/>
                <texture name="unisex_tattoo_tribal" color="15,20,25"/>
                <texture name="male_head_beard" color="hair"/>
                <texture name="male_shaggy_eyebrows" color="hair"/>
            </part>

 

 

The problem is that the zombie archetypes are replaced with prefabricated meshes which look  great but we end up with just the same looks. The models themselves will have to be manually edited. The hair and skin look like they may be able to have changes. It doesn't look to me like it can't be done with Z's but I'm not a Unity modder so I was throwing it up to you in hopes you might know.  

 

And yes, the bandits and survivors from the creature packs are what I meant as well as from vanilla. Just for a little diversity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@doughphunghus Thank you nice mods. Added your dark rooms/night and random entity mods. They play well with the wandering horde mod (60 plus), endless bloodmoon mod, Custom Zombies by Robeloto (with screen effects edited out in XML) and all the creature-pack mods. You end up with a really strong reason to craft lots of ammo and makes nights a lot more interesting. Makes the game fun / challenging again after 400plus hrs playing. Really like the random entity mod. Thank you again. 

Edited by Dre (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2020 at 9:27 PM, JDead said:

Is Rabbit Of Caerbannog server friendly? Or will all players have to install the modlet locally? Reason why I ask is because I've tried it out before on a dedicated server and everyone gets errors when the rabbit tries to spawn in. So I stopped using it. But I thought it was because it was incompatible with v19.1. Since it has been updated I just wanted to make sure it was first server friendly. Then I'll give it a go. Thanks!

It looks like it's not server side friendly, and will require a client side install as well.

 

Details:

I decided to do some searching first, before trying to stand up a server and test as I believe it will not be (because of the specialized skin) and I found this which says "Any mod that has ANY folder other than /config will require a client install to work correctly."

 

I haven't looked at it in awhile, but the "Rabbit Of Caerbannog" has 2 folders outside of /Config, which are /Resources and /UIAtlases for the white rabbit texture, and the "Holy Hand Grenade" item icons/item models.  I know there's bees some recent work by TFP to make more things in mods transfer to the client (most recently I believe in a18-a19 have been mod included prefabs and *finally!* Localization.txt) but the item icons I know don't transfer to clients (as I have made a mod "You've got Mail" specifically not with new icons because of this).

18 hours ago, Dre said:

@doughphunghus Thank you nice mods. Added your dark rooms/night and random entity mods. They play well with the wandering horde mod (60 plus), endless bloodmoon mod, Custom Zombies by Robeloto (with screen effects edited out in XML) and all the creature-pack mods. You end up with a really strong reason to craft lots of ammo and makes nights a lot more interesting. Makes the game fun / challenging again after 400plus hrs playing. Really like the random entity mod. Thank you again. 

Thanks!  I've been playing a game with all my mods (and darkness falls, and some other mods as well) to see if there's anything to change in them (as I see it) and I appreciate the feedback! I'll probably make some more changes to the random entity one and make some more "pre generated modlets" that are a little more tuned, and I'm trying to think of a way to pre-generate them to target the Creature packs, and Sorcery, etc. so you can just load several pre-generated ones to target your specifically loaded zombie packs.  It might not work well as it  ideally is something you'd generate on your end after you have loaded/tested all the packs you wanted to load THEN you'd generate a custom "random entity" modlet...but... it might be do-able on my end a little.  the issue is that other peoples packs can change at any time and it might be difficult to properly generate them on my side and keep up with everyone's changes... we'll see how it works out ;). I wish I didn't have to use perl as the randomizer script language (I would have rather used python as it's turning out to be the flavor of the decade) but it's the only one I know well enough to support (and write fast).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, CrazyAluminum said:

Only now I got it. DarkerNights looks like Nyctalopia😹

I think ambientInsideSpeed is a speed change of lighting between outside and inside

nice ;)  I'll look into this setting when I do another round of modlet writing/enhancing. I'm not sure but I would assume making this a "longer lasting transfer effect" would be a nicer effect than what happens now when you transfer between "outside" and "inside", which is this weird "its really dark, then it lets up in like 2 seconds, then may fade back in again".  I had a lot of difficulty messing with the "darkness settings" so I kept my darkness mods super simple just to get something useful, and I was hoping someone (TFP hopefully) would put some documentation in the XML explaining what the other settings were and what the values could be.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2020 at 6:27 AM, Taylorsd said:

The archetype just tell the game to assign specific mesh parts to an entity in entity_class.  Or did...

 

    <archetype name="BanditLeader" male="true" hair_color="148,74,40" eye_color="68,68,60" skin_color="175,175,175" type="None" stance="Like" voice_set="trader">
        <base_mesh_parts>
            <part slot="head" layer="base" mesh="male_base_face">
                <texture name="male_head" color="skin"/>
                <texture name="male_head_old" color="skin"/>
                <texture name="unisex_tattoo_tribal" color="15,20,25"/>
                <texture name="male_head_beard" color="hair"/>
                <texture name="male_shaggy_eyebrows" color="hair"/>
            </part>

 

 

The problem is that the zombie archetypes are replaced with prefabricated meshes which look  great but we end up with just the same looks. The models themselves will have to be manually edited. The hair and skin look like they may be able to have changes. It doesn't look to me like it can't be done with Z's but I'm not a Unity modder so I was throwing it up to you in hopes you might know.  

 

And yes, the bandits and survivors from the creature packs are what I meant as well as from vanilla. Just for a little diversity. 

This seems a little more complicated than I thought...but interests me as:

- It would be cool/useful if UMA hangs around for awhile

- I haven't targeted any other "class types" and Bandits/etc (Used in Creature packs, others) are a class type that will likely come into the game.

- The randomizer script currently only targets a single "property" in a class/entity definition per "randomness setting".  This stuff looks like it would be more complicated BUT if something could be done to add it might be done generically enough to allow targeting of other things that are more complicated than basic properties.

 

I'll have to think about it for a bit.  I want to make the randomizer as configurable and "useful" as possible, but I also want to make it generic and as simple as possible to make the code easier to maintain as TFP changes things before going "gold".  Even in its current state it a little bloated, but perhaps simpler to maintain than if I tried to condense it down to some level of neatness. Being able to change even something as simple as hair/skin color would be nice though.

 

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just going to create some Z's and let those that can put them in game do it. Its' all a bit too much for me. I plan on doing Z's and Bandits. I'm working on  the process right now on getting it down. Hopefully you will have and the rest of the community will have a depot full to work with. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

 

Thanks!  I've been playing a game with all my mods (and darkness falls, and some other mods as well) to see if there's anything to change in them (as I see it) and I appreciate the feedback! I'll probably make some more changes to the random entity one and make some more "pre generated modlets" that are a little more tuned, and I'm trying to think of a way to pre-generate them to target the Creature packs, and Sorcery, etc. so you can just load several pre-generated ones to target your specifically loaded zombie packs.  It might not work well as it  ideally is something you'd generate on your end after you have loaded/tested all the packs you wanted to load THEN you'd generate a custom "random entity" modlet...but... it might be do-able on my end a little.  the issue is that other peoples packs can change at any time and it might be difficult to properly generate them on my side and keep up with everyone's changes... we'll see how it works out ;). I wish I didn't have to use perl as the randomizer script language (I would have rather used python as it's turning out to be the flavor of the decade) but it's the only one I know well enough to support (and write fast).

i just used your pre-generated modlet for a19.1b to be honest. It works good. it adds something new with how they act (i'm getting a lot of crawlers currently which is kinda creepy LOL). Agree would be way too much upkeep to add the mod option zombies but there are enough base zeds that it works just great without complicating it. So ya thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dre said:

i just used your pre-generated modlet for a19.1b to be honest. It works good. it adds something new with how they act (i'm getting a lot of crawlers currently which is kinda creepy LOL). Agree would be way too much upkeep to add the mod option zombies but there are enough base zeds that it works just great without complicating it. So ya thank you. 

Thanks! Yeah, I heard someone else mention the high number of crawlers in that generation, and I've noticed it too.  Its kinda nice but can be weird when you have like 10 crawlers all hopping around.  I have some ideas on how to do some more balancing that I plan to add to the next version that might help this :)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2020 at 10:47 AM, xxx73 said:

About pig, I make it a little smaller and use it instead of boar in desert, I use same tracking icon as boar, but Im not able to harvest it. I have not looked into this but any idea why?

I don't :)  I'll see if I can fix it.  I noticed when I tested it spawned, etc that the hit box seemed a little off, but I didn't test it completely.  The pig model has been commented out in the vanilla code for awhile so I'm going to guess its something to do with it needing some updated XML.

 

Thanks for the info!

 

@xxx73UPDATE: I updated GetPiggy so now its more up to date with current animal XML. The pig sounds don't work anymore though (in a19.2 b3) so I removed them and they are the default stag sounds, which are .... passable for the time being.  I have a sound modlet and when I do some more sounds I'll see if I can fix the pig sounds if the pig model is still in the game.

 

Also: Harvesting bones from GetPiggy and ScreamerBears was not correct so its been fixed as well, and harvesting in general should give more "stuff" that's consistent with the game ( like working with buffs or perks, etc). Tracking may also work a bit better than before. After looking at the GetPIggy modlet, I found some notes for GetPiggy they were "have to harvest from the head or butt".  So, anyway, if you don't want to update, this harvest method should work (I also tested it and the old version does work if you hit them just right in these areas)

 

The direct github download for my fork of the Khelldon modlets with the new GetPIggy fixes is here (v2.0.6)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...