Dev Diary Pruning....

Roland

I've always had a problem with the turrets being able to identify individuals and if you use a wheel or tracked mount the pathing difficulties will be compounded, a tank can't jump.

It's real life stuff. Tracking a certain thing has been around for centuries. Dogs for example can completely ignore their food that they would normally chase and eat for their target. The military has had it for ages in some of their tech. People normal people who are good with gadgets and coding it is very possible.

Here are a few ha -

Or

Can be done lol....

Tracking an object is easy, I never said otherwise.

Identifying an individual soldier on the battlefield and comparing their biometrics against a whitelist of people who are not to be targeted during combat? Not so easy.

Lol the samsung-sgr-a1 sentry turret kills anything that has not verified themselves. So the verified carry some sort of chip that the turret uses to identify them as friendly. Quite possible in today's world let alone the future where it be even..more advanced...

Lol the samsung-sgr-a1 sentry turret kills anything that has not verified themselves. So the verified carry some sort of chip that the turret uses to identify them as friendly. Quite possible in today's world let alone the future where it be even..more advanced...

Yes, I know the principle, that's a far more playable system as well.

You have a beacon which takes up an inventory slot, this adds to encumberance and during a PVP base assault it would be a very good idea to retrieve one from an isolated enemy before you begin. Each turret and beacon must have the same password, security is only as effective as the amount of effort you're willing to put into it, this will prevent a defending side from changing it in a hurry while being assaulted.

I _really_ don't have a problem with that system, it's far better than magic machine learning. :-)

Yes, I know the principle, that's a far more playable system as well.

You have a beacon which takes up an inventory slot, this adds to encumberance and during a PVP base assault it would be a very good idea to retrieve one from an isolated enemy before you begin. Each turret and beacon must have the same password, security is only as effective as the amount of effort you're willing to put into it, this will prevent a defending side from changing it in a hurry while being assaulted.

I _really_ don't have a problem with that system, it's far better than magic machine learning. :-)

This game isn't real so your point of realism gets thrown out at the door imho l. Zombies are not real yet they are in game so why not a smart turret or a smart bot. I don't understand the fuss. If ya don't want something in the game don't use it. Why most likely kill something others want when you can easily a. Not use it or b. Remove it via modding it's not difficult.

But to not have it in effectively removes any possible allowance for those that do want it and also for code us modders are chasing to develop some cool mods for ya all... just have it in mod it change it remove it simple....

Honestly, I don't see the problem. A huge part of the game won't have the futuristic content except very late game, and aren't late game items supposed to feel special. If they add a very late game junk bot, it won't mean that suddenly the next time you open the game you will be greeted with the "War... War never changes" line.

Just feels like you're overreacting. Doesn't junk turret look 7DTD-ish to you?

My biggest problem with the junk turret is, it's not a late-game item. I forget when I found my first Q3 junk turret this run but it was before day 21, and I've found several since, and I don't have points in lucky looter. Somebody on the crew's going to want 5 str 4 69er or so to make looting and other home-invasion entertainments more entertaining, once you've got that all the iron you could want is a day's prospecting away and feeding the junk turret is basically a super-low-cost way of throwing away XP if you want to keep the game stage down or can't be bothered to watch (or otherwise keep the zeds off) your back.

I never use them, and I don't have to, so I don't complain about them, but I've got this fear that the rebalancing's going to get to the point where playing (mostly) traderless and relying on guns only as a last resort, with most of the zombie killing being melee, bow, molotov or IED, just won't keep you fed and breathing.

Defenses you have to repair while the horde's still attacking, with maybe zeds sometimes fixating at random on otherwise-really-stupid things to attack and randomly bunching up on those efforts (so, sure, you've got a weak spot and the zeds almost all go for that, but on a really bad night you'll get half a dozen of them deciding to attack the back wall where it's really strong and ignore the torches and gunfire, and if you're not paying attention, well…) and it's always a hectic choice, basically repair or nade or lead a parade, with intervals of killing them the old-fashioned one-at-a-time ways for relaxation, that's what I like to see on horde nights.

I wasn't making a fuss, just posting my opinion when asked if anyone dislikes the advanced abilities of the auto turret and going into more detail when misunderstandings happened. :-)

That's fine I do understand but everything is near moddable to ones liking also so if one is not wanting something easy to remove but if We don't have something harder to add is all i saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm did you miss the memo it's pick on jaxs month lol 😜

That's fine I do understand but everything is near moddable to ones liking also so if one is not wanting something easy to remove but if We don't have something harder to add is all i saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm did you miss the memo it's pick on jaxs month lol

Good thing the month is almost over lol

I've always had a problem with the turrets being able to identify individuals and if you use a wheel or tracked mount the pathing difficulties will be compounded, a tank can't jump.

Yes, and a wheeled turret will also stop at ladders and maybe even stairs. You will have to pick it up quite often, though not as often as the junk turret. But on the other hand a wheeled thingy that avoids and drives around obstacles and follows someone with a chip is something I can build with a raspberry pi plus ultrasonic, IR or radar sensors

If TFP goes for bipod jumping robots, we are in the "I, Robot" future (at least I'm reminded of the robots jumping around in that movie when I try to visualize it) and they could as well go the full mile and have them hover. There is a big technological difference between jumping bipod and hover, but it won't feel like one.

I like the idea of a junk bot. Less like the T-1000 and more like Wall-E with scowling eyebrows and a chaingun. I shudder to think at how many thousands of bugs will need to be squished to make it happen, but worrying about that would be TFP's job (unless you want to cut me a check to worry about your bugs for you, that'd be neat. I'm very good at worrying. Standing offer!)

Also, props to the devs who pushed back against .50 cal rifles! It's purely a personal preference thing for me, I think they're ugly and obnoxiously over-represented in video games already. I wouldn't have complained or anything, just kinda rolled my eyes. I admit I feel the same way about the Desert Eagle, but oh well. Lots of fun weapons in this game, looking forward to what you have in store for us!

Okay... here's some out-of-the-box thinking for a mobile turret. Why not strap a gun to a zombie?

You get the benefits of bipedal pathing without going too far into techno-babble. I'm pretty sure with a few pointy electrodes and a lot of trial and error you can work out where to stimulate what remains of the zombie brain to gain some sort of control over it.

180?cb=20140828072336

PDF warning...

https://lsa.umich.edu/psych/research&labs/berridge/publications/Kringelbach%20&%20Berridge%202015%20Motivation%20and%20pleasure%20in%20brain%20chapt.pdf

Horrendous science experiments warning...

https://backyardbrains.com/

A hovering bot would spare animations and thus be easier to program. Should need fuel then.

Give it a (auto) reconing mode, without being capable of shooting (if both -> to overpowered). Sensing ores would be fine, too.

Make it installable and removable into the 4x4 (or landclaim protected areas).

EDIT: And make it a random encounter in the wastelands and some POIs :tickled_pink:

I knew James Kirk would support this feature!!! 😂

The bot should also have phasers that can be set to stun or kill...😂

I just dont get the need for m60 machine gun, robot protectors with chain guns and all the other sci-fi crap to kill 10 zombies. Its not like you are totally overrun with zombies in game like World War Z. At max you get 12 zombies coming at you...Maybe.. Hey lets put tactical nukes in game...i just dont see it. The most advanced thing in game is a solar panel and they dont work..now were going to have robots. Bandits are a myth but private security robots with miniguns are coming?? This game has lost its way. IMO

I just dont get the need for m60 machine gun, robot protectors with chain guns and all the other sci-fi crap to kill 10 zombies. Its not like you are totally overrun with zombies in game like World War Z. At max you get 12 zombies coming at you...Maybe.. Hey lets put tactical nukes in game...i just dont see it. The most advanced thing in game is a solar panel and they dont work..now were going to have robots. Bandits are a myth but private security robots with miniguns are coming?? This game has lost its way. IMO

I think you missed it. Bandits are coming. Robots are a maybe.

Okay... here's some out-of-the-box thinking for a mobile turret. Why not strap a gun to a zombie?

You get the benefits of bipedal pathing without going too far into techno-babble. I'm pretty sure with a few pointy electrodes and a lot of trial and error you can work out where to stimulate what remains of the zombie brain to gain some sort of control over it.

180?cb=20140828072336

PDF warning...

https://lsa.umich.edu/psych/research&labs/berridge/publications/Kringelbach%20&%20Berridge%202015%20Motivation%20and%20pleasure%20in%20brain%20chapt.pdf

Horrendous science experiments warning...

https://backyardbrains.com/

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMzQ1MzE5OTkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzk2MjY3._V1_.jpg

Oh, about hovering. I made the mistake of thinking it would have to be a gravity-negating device. But add 3 propellers and it looks like a drone and all you need to forget is where it gets all that energy from

MV5BMzQ1MzE5OTkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzk2MjY3._V1_.jpg.ac26a24982c91633999e7e07ebae7522.jpg

Hovering bots are even more mythical than bandits. Don’t act like their first version has already been added to experimental. Joel is just talking about future possibilities and as usual people are taking what he says like it’s gospel or sure prophecy or something.

His point was that IF they were to do an NPC follower it would have to be something that hovers— and faatal added that it would probably have to teleport as well in order for it to be viable.

It’s sad the developers can’t include us in some of their own pimp dream musings without people turning it into the next #gate and predicting the game’s downfall.

Now, let’s just have some fun speculating about possibilities. It doesn’t happen much any more being so close to gold.

I think that there could be certain tech advances put into the game that would make hover bots a reality without necessarily pushing the entire game into high tech sci-fi.

It could be Repulsor technology a la Ironman and it could have other applications like being applied to blocks for a higher tech version of Minecraft’s “pistons”. It could also allow for Repulsor Lifts and finally bring true elevators into base building.

Sometimes technology leaps forward in one area so it isn’t unreasonable to think that some of this might be possible if found in military installations but not among the general populace.

Besides, it sounds fun, could open new applications for modders, and could probably be easily removed if someone didn’t like it.

You are not alone in this opinion. Still harboring a vague hope it will be pulled back from the brink before gold.

I just dont get the need for m60 machine gun, robot protectors with chain guns and all the other sci-fi crap to kill 10 zombies. Its not like you are totally overrun with zombies in game like World War Z. At max you get 12 zombies coming at you.

Try a horde night on co-op max-alive 64 with four players and say that again. That limit is per logged-on player.

Archived