Trunkism

Trunks_Budo

Yeah the Long Dark has nearly no advertising, I found it by luck alone on the PlayStation store and it eventually became my favorite game after I earned the platinum trophy for it. The game's a gem and even after 500 hours it's still fun to play, but 7 days to die is not =/ What does that tell you?

I love challenging games, I LOVE playing Long Dark on Interloper difficulty. My current run is 120 days and I'm fully geared in animal hide clothing and hunting regularly, which isn't easy to do on Interloper difficulty, as someone who's tried the difficulty would tell you. But 7 days to die drifts over the line of challenge and difficulty into borderline unfairness and broken stupidity. Zig zagging zombies cannot be reliably headshot, I'm sorry, but it's true. This new "Damage shaving" mechanic makes it even worse, because you'll miss a headshot with melee, the zombie will still register the damage from the shave, without flinching because you technically missed, and then they'll rage mode run at you. Over, and over, and over again. And it doesn't even have to be that way, you guys could fix the zombie pathing somehow to make it so they are able to approach you diagonally on the game-grid, no more 45 degree turns, so no more missing 5 headshots per zombie kill just because of your stupid game design.

Like it or not, all I do is survival games and I've played them all: Long Dark, 7 Days to Die, Minecraft, Ark, No Man's Sky, Subnautica, The Forest; Survival games are my favorite type of game. I have also earned the platinum trophies for every game I just listed. Yes, even for 7 days to die. My PSN is the same as my name here, for verification purposes. So believe me when I tell you, not only is alpha 15 better in some respects than alpha 18, but there are errors in alpha 15 on console that are STILL present in alpha 18 on pc. That, is, pathetic. And I just think if you guys focused on that crap I described, that maybe, just maybe, your game could be enjoyable. The only people who can enjoy your game are pot heads who get high on the dopamine rush associated with your RNG loot system; Take away the pot, and they couldn't bear it anymore. I quit pot 2 years ago, and I haven't been able to get truly immersed in your game since then. It's a great game when you can constantly self-medicate the bull♥♥♥♥ out of the experience, but at its core, it is a deeply flawed game with so much squandered potential that it makes me sick. I hope you devs get your ♥♥♥♥ together. I really do.

Basically, the difficulty level of 7 days to die is nothing more than bugs and glitches that interrupt the immersion of the game. And that is way too difficult for me. I wont try to throw a spear at constantly rotating zombies, I won't try to build a lake house when I know the lake is going to permanently dip and concave whenever zombies destroy a dirt block beneath the surface of the water. I won't use 25% loot abundance to challenge myself when I know the numbers are broken and that it rounds down a container containing one item to zero most of the time. I have something called self-respect, too much of it to subject myself to the monstrosity that is now unfortunately known as 7 days to die. Back in the early days of my experience when I played it on console it was enchanting, and I thought "Wow, what an amazing concept, this game has the potential to be one of the greatest games of all time." Don't even ask me what I think of it now. Like I said, there were errors and bugs in alpha 15 which still exist today in Alpha 18. The gameplay has gotten objectively worse, pigeonholing people into certain weapon types for certain attribute specializations is ridiculous. Spears are cool, shame that they're royally ineffective since zombies are always rotating 45 degrees. Food poisoning is manageable and realistic as it currently is, I half enjoy the risk of it, but it's still annoying that I basically have to choose between being able to have powerful melee, or being able to eat a piece of cooked meat without a chance of getting sick in the early game stages. I don't want to use brass knuckles, I want to use the spear, but too bad Iron Gut isn't listed under the perception attribute. It really sucks, I view TFP as a brilliant artist who suffered an accident and is now retarded, a lifetime of talent wasted and potential lost. It like deeply hurts me to know what the game could have been, if you guys had the drive to actually improve the game world, and not just the gameplay.

Yeah the Long Dark has nearly no advertising, I found it by luck alone on the PlayStation store and it eventually became my favorite game after I earned the platinum trophy for it. The game's a gem and even after 500 hours it's still fun to play, but 7 days to die is not =/ What does that tell you?

I love challenging games, I LOVE playing Long Dark on Interloper difficulty. My current run is 120 days and I'm fully geared in animal hide clothing and hunting regularly, which isn't easy to do on Interloper difficulty, as someone who's tried the difficulty would tell you. But 7 days to die drifts over the line of challenge and difficulty into borderline unfairness and broken stupidity. Zig zagging zombies cannot be reliably headshot, I'm sorry, but it's true. This new "Damage shaving" mechanic makes it even worse, because you'll miss a headshot with melee, the zombie will still register the damage from the shave, without flinching because you technically missed, and then they'll rage mode run at you. Over, and over, and over again. And it doesn't even have to be that way, you guys could fix the zombie pathing somehow to make it so they are able to approach you diagonally on the game-grid, no more 45 degree turns, so no more missing 5 headshots per zombie kill just because of your stupid game design.

Like it or not, all I do is survival games and I've played them all: Long Dark, 7 Days to Die, Minecraft, Ark, No Man's Sky, Subnautica, The Forest; Survival games are my favorite type of game. I have also earned the platinum trophies for every game I just listed. Yes, even for 7 days to die. My PSN is the same as my name here, for verification purposes. So believe me when I tell you, not only is alpha 15 better in some respects than alpha 18, but there are errors in alpha 15 on console that are STILL present in alpha 18 on pc. That, is, pathetic. And I just think if you guys focused on that crap I described, that maybe, just maybe, your game could be enjoyable. The only people who can enjoy your game are pot heads who get high on the dopamine rush associated with your RNG loot system; Take away the pot, and they couldn't bear it anymore. I quit pot 2 years ago, and I haven't been able to get truly immersed in your game since then. It's a great game when you can constantly self-medicate the bull♥♥♥♥ out of the experience, but at its core, it is a deeply flawed game with so much squandered potential that it makes me sick. I hope you devs get your ♥♥♥♥ together. I really do.

Merry Christmas to you too! 😂

Stopped reading after a few sentences...wall of text...tons of emotional comments...

I hate to say it but tons of changes are expected in Early Access titles. Hopefully you can find some new fun within the current iteration of the game. If its too overwhelming, perhaps start with watching some Alpha 18 review videos or wait until the next Alpha, or move onto another game...

I bet he die 3-4 times in 3hrs :)

It tells me that tastes differ and perceptions are personal.

I tried the long dark and found it bland and uninteresting. I have, on the other hand, 6000h on 7dtd and still love it

The only thing I can agree with would be the fundamental engine problems. I doubt they will, or even can be fixed. But time will tell.

EA is not the time to fix bugs. It's the time to get the engine ready enough to explore ideas and mechanics.

Would be pretty stupid to fix the water now if the whole system might get a rework next year. Or caring about a bedroll on a road. Who knows if the bedroll even makes it to the final game.

Those bugs are trivial at best for an EA title as they don't keep the dev team from trying new things :)

On that note :

I'm worried about netcode and synching between clients. And kinda worried that I won't be able to disable npcs like bandits. If I want other parties and human enemies, I play Multiplayer ;)

I don't even like traders. How do they survive with their feeble bases? I'd rather have armored vending machines with a terminal for quests instead of those ridiculous trader bases that wouldn't stand a chance against the game mechanics on a good day :)

I got near 6000hrs on 7 dtd. Still love it still play it. Still think its going in the right direction. Pretty stuck up of yourself to come on another game forum and talk bout another game.

Don't like the game.... there is the door. Really didn't read much of anything you wrote more then 2 lines but yeh go play the other game.. enjoy..

Basically, the difficulty level of 7 days to die is nothing more than bugs and glitches that interrupt the immersion of the game. And that is way too difficult for me. I wont try to throw a spear at constantly rotating zombies, I won't try to build a lake house when I know the lake is going to permanently dip and concave whenever zombies destroy a dirt block beneath the surface of the water. I won't use 25% loot abundance to challenge myself when I know the numbers are broken and that it rounds down a container containing one item to zero most of the time. I have something called self-respect, too much of it to subject myself to the monstrosity that is now unfortunately known as 7 days to die. Back in the early days of my experience when I played it on console it was enchanting, and I thought "Wow, what an amazing concept, this game has the potential to be one of the greatest games of all time." Don't even ask me what I think of it now. Like I said, there were errors and bugs in alpha 15 which still exist today in Alpha 18. The gameplay has gotten objectively worse, pigeonholing people into certain weapon types for certain attribute specializations is ridiculous. Spears are cool, shame that they're royally ineffective since zombies are always rotating 45 degrees. Food poisoning is manageable and realistic as it currently is, I half enjoy the risk of it, but it's still annoying that I basically have to choose between being able to have powerful melee, or being able to eat a piece of cooked meat without a chance of getting sick in the early game stages. I don't want to use brass knuckles, I want to use the spear, but too bad Iron Gut isn't listed under the perception attribute. It really sucks, I view TFP as a brilliant artist who suffered an accident and is now retarded, a lifetime of talent wasted and potential lost. It like deeply hurts me to know what the game could have been, if you guys had the drive to actually improve the game world, and not just the gameplay.

Saying This game is all bad and hasn't evolved.. HAHA !

Install mod launcher, install Alpha 3 and go enjoy the greatness it was, when compared to alpha 19. Your nostalgia is clouding you judgment.

Yeah...advertising. That’s what’s keeping Long Dark down...

@Roland just popped in to see whats going on and I think either some warnings need to be handed out to a very specific individual or autoboots need to assemble :smile-new:

- - - Updated - - -

this game isn't difficult lol currently im on day 56 and I have only 1 death surely this isn't that bad and its on warrior difficulty

don't call anyone of the devs retarded that is horrible to say shame on you and you are aware a voxel game that is fully destructible is one of the hardest things to create and optimise you are aware right?

I thought The Long Dark was a glorified walking simulator at first... But the richness of the world, intensity of the gameplay, and beauty of the atmosphere enchanted me and it never let go. Interloper difficulty from the long dark is one of the hardest difficulty modes I've ever played in any game, ever, and that's saying a lot because I've platinumed every Devil May Cry and when I earned my platinum for 7 days to die on console, I played on insane mode, always run, feral. I still have nostalgia about my old O really auto parts base in the desert, yeah, but it's so different... Back then I was dreaming of how 7 days to die would eventually improve, how the engine would improve, how the zombies wouldn't zig zag anymore and the water wouldn't dip when the dirt below it was destroyed, or how the road would no longer concave or convex when blocks were placed on it. But everything I wanted 7 days to die to be, the long dark basically is. It's developed, finished, refined, and if you invest yourself in it, it's a many-months long satisfying experience to get the platinum trophy for it. The 7 days plat just kept me smoking pot =/ I had to, to deal with all that bull♥♥♥♥.

- - - Updated - - -

And to see Alpha 18 and beyond still containing the same engine and world-design problems, it's disheartening. It's like... Sometimes I think the Fun Pimps don't want to leave alpha stages, because they keep getting financial grants from third party companies to develop the game as long as they remain in alpha stages or something. Once the game is finished everybody there will be out of a job because their game has passed its peak relevancy

I thought The Long Dark was a glorified walking simulator at first... But the richness of the world, intensity of the gameplay, and beauty of the atmosphere enchanted me and it never let go. Interloper difficulty from the long dark is one of the hardest difficulty modes I've ever played in any game, ever, and that's saying a lot because I've platinumed every Devil May Cry and when I earned my platinum for 7 days to die on console, I played on insane mode, always run, feral. I still have nostalgia about my old O really auto parts base in the desert, yeah, but it's so different... Back then I was dreaming of how 7 days to die would eventually improve, how the engine would improve, how the zombies wouldn't zig zag anymore and the water wouldn't dip when the dirt below it was destroyed, or how the road would no longer concave or convex when blocks were placed on it. But everything I wanted 7 days to die to be, the long dark basically is. It's developed, finished, refined, and if you invest yourself in it, it's a many-months long satisfying experience to get the platinum trophy for it. The 7 days plat just kept me smoking pot =/ I had to, to deal with all that bull♥♥♥♥.

- - - Updated - - -

And to see Alpha 18 and beyond still containing the same engine and world-design problems, it's disheartening. It's like... Sometimes I think the Fun Pimps don't want to leave alpha stages, because they keep getting financial grants from third party companies to develop the game as long as they remain in alpha stages or something. Once the game is finished everybody there will be out of a job because their game has passed its peak relevancy

Well once you accused any fan of the game only liking the game if they are "potheads" basically shows that you should not be taken seriously. That's why no one is taking you seriously.

I understand you don't like the game because the dirt and water don't work exactly how you want. the fact you expected 7dtd to change engines between alphas is so absurd that you have to be... well... high to think that's how game development works.

If The Long Dark is so much fun why are you trolling on 7dtd forums for days rather than playing it? the issue you are describing aren't that big a deal to most people aside from you, the projecting "pothead". Those are things you described are left to the polish stage, it's clear that their priority is Correctly on implementing a complete gaming experience over minor (if annoying) graphical issues.

Honestly, i am glad you're not in charge of the development process. we'd have an empty game with beautiful water physics and slightly better ground physics.

PS. you are literally the only person who cares what games you "platinumed"

What's funny is you're all overlooking my primary point: The zombies can't even walk directly toward you, they keep turning 45 degrees on their path to you because of the game's grid. How are you supposed to get headshots reliably when their movement patterns aren't even reliable? The zombies literally walk a step, then turn, then walk a step, then turn... The graphical problems aside, that is a gameplay problem, and a damn crippling one. How many times must I miss a spear throw just because of that before TFP fix it? Like I said before, this game couldn't hold my attention for more than a few hours before I got frustrated at the lack of control it offers. In any game, skill should define the quality of your experience; Learn from failures, adapt to mistakes, succeed through trial and triumph. But 7 days doesn't offer that, you will always be screwed over by zombie movement patterns and lag spikes in certain POI. At LEAST fix how zombies walk toward the player, they keep rotating 45 degrees, it keeps making me miss, it's ♥♥♥♥ing garbage. And if I miss a melee swing to the head by a fraction of an inch, I get that "Shaving" damage, which conveniently enough DOESNT make them flinch, but DOES trigger their rage mode, making them sprint toward me and make me bleed/get stunned. This game does not allow for skill to make a difference, it is so ♥♥♥♥ing poorly designed that in essence, unless you're playing on 100% loot abundance and getting bullets all the time, using guns all the time, you're just going to suffer the inadequacies of melee combat all the time. In real life I'd just swing my weapon sideways, horizontally, to not miss =/ I'm not suffering your retarded game design, I'm not some stupid plebeian who's willing to stay high and accept a crappy game as how I spend my time. I have standards and 7 days does not meet them. Fix this, because what potential I used to see in the game is rapidly diminishing.

Well, I know a good game when I play one, and I had high hopes for this one back in the day. There are treasures to be found in 7 Days to Die, amazing ideas, but I don't believe using an engine-limitation as a difficulty-enhancer is reasonable. Zombies move that way because of the limitations of the engine, most likely, and you guys are trying to justify that rotating-movement as an intended gameplay feature just so you don't have to expend company resources to change it. I believe it's artificial difficulty, there are ways and means to make good difficulty for the game, like the food poisoning mechanic in alpha 18 which I actually really like, it motivates players to think: Okay so I have 1 point into living off the land, 1 point into Iron Gut, now I can harvest 2 snowberries at once, and eat them endlessly to avoid the risk of early-game food poisoning. You can adapt to that, use skill and experience to defeat that prior limitation. But the zombies rotating doesn't allow for the same skill and experience-based adaptation, aiming accuracy should be a trainable thing, but I can already tell, nobody can reliably get spear throwing headshots, not even after 50 hours of playing with a spear. Zombie pathing is just way too sporadic, and it takes away from the game's potential big time. I also ain't a fan of pigeonholing, where you're forced to use fist weapons if you devote yourself to the fortitude attribute. I like fist weapons, yes, love them, cool feature with the infection avoidance, and fist weapons are deadly accurate for getting headshots; But the issue is that I should be able to choose my weapon, AND choose my attribute, separately. Anything less denies players creative freedom, and actually reduces replay value.

What happened? You started off nice, other that the wall of text, but then someone hijacked your account?

Rage? We like it. Makes the game more challenging. If you want it easier, then play the lowest difficulty, which has 0% rage.

Zigzagging? It is a side effect of pathing, but does make the game more challenging. Should we turn off the zombie animations, since they also make their heads move around? Should the AI just stand there and do nothing, so it can be real easy to hit them? If you don't like that stuff, then you are really not going to like the running, dodging, leaping, hiding, healing bandit AI (but difficulty will modify that behavior).

The easier difficulty and other settings are there for a reason, but games are a subjective experience. What you like, someone, somewhere will hate and vice versa. I'm playing Outward right now. It has a variety of bad reviews and when I described to my son, he said it sounded horrible and would never play it. I find it fun, even if it is confusing in the beginning, has simplistic graphics and clunky combat.

If you like another game more, then maybe you should just play it instead of trying to bash us over the head with how you think our game should be.

I used to be nice, yeah, but then I got extremely fed up with the imposed limitations of zombie movement patterns within just a couple of hours. It totally kills the experience for me when I basically have to throw a spear, then retrieve it, then throw it, then retrieve it, just because zombies move so sporadically that headshots are rendered impossible to master as a skill. Then, also, the melee swings with the club miss most of the time, you get that shaving damage on the head, they don't flinch, then enter rage mode and hit you, causing a bleed or a stun? Like seriously, it's infuriating, and like I said, if someone can't stay high, they're not going to tolerate that crap. It's like you guys are implementing any feature you possibly can to make the game more infuriating. Rage mode should be toggleable, not tied to difficulty, because then it's like I'm being pigeonholed into scavenger difficulty to avoid it, which is ridiculous because I played on insane mode with always run and feral when I got the platinum trophy for this game on PS4. It was doable, because there was no rage mode, and a slightly-missed headshot with a melee weapon STILL COUNTED as a headshot; Made them flinch, dealt full damage.

That above post I just made is the exact reason why I can't play your game anymore. You've imposed too much artificial difficulty into zombie fighting, and it spoils the entire atmosphere of your game for me. I ♥♥♥♥ing loved it too, your game was an escape, but now, like I said before, your game is something I need an escape from. Any game where my developed skills do not matter, or won't make a difference, is not welcome in my gaming repertoire. I believe in refinement of player reflexes to meet the end of a streamlined experience. Why try to get headshots with melee if it's just going to slightly miss, not make them flinch, trigger rage mode, and grant them a free hit on me? Why throw a spear at their head if their bodies are just going to rotate 45 degrees every two steps and make me miss? I can't do it man, I just can't do it. This game doesn't welcome over achievers like me who like to challenge themselves. It doesn't allow for adequate player growth; In terms of specialization, or aiming precision. Pidgeonholed attribute-based weapon specializations, sporadic zombie movement patterns inhibiting the development of aiming skill in a player... It's just all wrong, and I'm actually hurting to finally admit that to myself on the topic of this game. It's dead to me, and I miss playing it. I wish I could play it again. It genuinely hurts.

That above post I just made is the exact reason why I can't play your game anymore. You've imposed too much artificial difficulty into zombie fighting, and it spoils the entire atmosphere of your game for me. I ♥♥♥♥ing loved it too, your game was an escape, but now, like I said before, your game is something I need an escape from. Any game where my developed skills do not matter, or won't make a difference, is not welcome in my gaming repertoire. I believe in refinement of player reflexes to meet the end of a streamlined experience. Why try to get headshots with melee if it's just going to slightly miss, not make them flinch, trigger rage mode, and grant them a free hit on me? Why throw a spear at their head if their bodies are just going to rotate 45 degrees every two steps and make me miss? I can't do it man, I just can't do it. This game doesn't welcome over achievers like me who like to challenge themselves. It doesn't allow for adequate player growth; In terms of specialization, or aiming precision. Pidgeonholed attribute-based weapon specializations, sporadic zombie movement patterns inhibiting the development of aiming skill in a player... It's just all wrong, and I'm actually hurting to finally admit that to myself on the topic of this game. It's dead to me, and I miss playing it. I wish I could play it again. It genuinely hurts.

i do just fine. maybe my skills are just far superior? though i am usually sober when i play, so that could be a thing.

i do just fine. maybe my skills are just far superior? though i am usually sober when i play, so that could be a thing.

You let yourself die to that crap, that's why you're okay with it; I'm obsessed with death means death, I like hardcore modes, and I don't like dying to this crap. If I get jumped by a dog or a wolf, and get killed, I like that. But when a zombie keeps rotating 45 degrees and I spend 2 minutes trying to kill it with spear-throwing head shots, THEN get jumped by a wolf, I don't like that. Because I know that it would never take me, a martial artist, 2 minutes to kill a zombie with a spear. I would stab it in the brain and move on.

There's no point... I'm trying to get some form of agreement from these posts, but I can't. It seems everybody's okay with this crap, which baffles me, I thought gamers today had more standards, but maybe I'm wrong, because gamers today are okay with pre-orders and expansions which cost more than the original game did. Maybe I'm just an exception, maybe I have high standards in a low-standard industry. My disappointment is my problem and I get that now, I can't expect you guys to agree or even understand my problems with the game in its current state. Basically I hate the combat, it feels really crappy. I can't get into the game like I used to, and it's disappointing because I liked the many sources of dopamine releases found within the game.

Archived