Add more pipe bombs

Last updated: July 4, 2020

My main modlet page is here: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...doughs-modlets

This modlet adds more pipe bombs. They are all unlocked upon unlocking the normal/vanilla pipe bomb crafting in the game (via reading the schematic, or buying the perk)

The mod is located here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/Doughs-Buff-PipeBombs

Notable changes:

New Item: Plastic Pipe Bomb. Weak but easily craftable with little materials. Easiest to throw far.

New Item: Brass Pipe Bomb. Moderately strong. Good for using brass up. Slightly more material needed

Modified vanilla Item: Iron Pipe Bomb. Moderately strong. Small changes made to fit with the other items

New Item: Steel Pipe Bomb.Very strong. Hardest to craft. Most material needed. Hardest to throw far.

New Misc items: Plastic, Brass, and Steel Pipe Bomb parts. Since the vanilla pipe bomb uses a plain Iron pipe, I left the crafting of this item alone. The new parts are essentially "specially crafted pipes" that cannot be used for anything else or found.

As of 1.0.6 (a19 update): you can now buy parts and items at traders if they are in stock.

Purpose of the mod:

The vanilla pipe bomb is not too useful (it rolls around and has a nice randomness to it) but it can be crafted fairly easily/early in the game before you get to grenades. This mod allows more of a progression to be able to craft "somewhat useful" ones early in the game and "more useful" ones a little later in the game (once you get the workbench, forge, and crucible). The tiering of the power of them means that you can choose the Plastic one to draw out zombies but not destroy (much) or, using the Steel one, do a lot of damage to wood POIs/zombies/terrain. Additionally, they all can be a good way to use up some not often used resources (like plastic/brass) you may have sitting around. All of them also quickly raise the heat level of the map (5% heat per explosion) so you can use the cheaper ones to get screamers to come without running a forge.

Currently the mod does not use any custom icons, just reuses vanilla graphics with some tinting so it should be ok for servers BUT the Steel Pipe bomb does enough damage it may look like you are drop mining if a few are used against a POI completely made of wood,

Edited by doughphunghus
Updated for a19, v1.0.6 (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...
This is how much I love your mod :) Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/MColbyu.png

And it's still working on A18.4 for me btw if anyone is interested

Thanks! Thatsa lotta pipe bombs :) I'm glad you like it :) Also: Thanks for the info!. I'll update my "mods page" notes for this modlet for 18.4. I'm behind on testing all my mods as, short of testing "they load without errors", its very time consuming. I'll probably carefully re-check them all when 19.x comes out

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

@Buttson: A penny for your thoughts...

Should the "stack size" of the pipe bombs be increased a little? I wanted it to be "kinda low" so you couldn't carry around 5000 pipe bombs in 1 backpack slot. I'm not sure why I chose 20. Maybe that's what's in vanilla or grenades or something.

Does the current "explosion power/radius" and/or "weight to throw" feel ok to you? I wanted the "more dangerous" one to be harder to use so you could blow yourself up easier if you were super careless with them ;)

Yes I've died twice blowing myself up with the steel pipe bombs already xD.. So good job there :p I'm too used to the weaker iron ones.

I don't have much problem with the stack size since 20 is already plenty IMO, and yeah, 20 is the vanilla limit for pipe bombs too, 25 for grenades. Wouldn't mind if it was upped though since that would mostly just be QOL. I don't bring them with me on my day-to-day looting anyways, only horde nights.

The throwing velocity/distance of the steel bombs do feel a bit unnatural to me though yeah, like my guy has noodle arms :p

The explosion radius, personally, I would reduce that by like 1 block but that's only cause I'm constantly hurting myself with them haha, so that's totally up to you if you want that for balance's sake

Yes I've died twice blowing myself up with the steel pipe bombs already xD.. So good job there :p I'm too used to the weaker iron ones.

I don't have much problem with the stack size since 20 is already plenty IMO, and yeah, 20 is the vanilla limit for pipe bombs too, 25 for grenades. Wouldn't mind if it was upped though since that would mostly just be QOL. I don't bring them with me on my day-to-day looting anyways, only horde nights.

The throwing velocity/distance of the steel bombs do feel a bit unnatural to me though yeah, like my guy has noodle arms :p

The explosion radius, personally, I would reduce that by like 1 block but that's only cause I'm constantly hurting myself with them haha, so that's totally up to you if you want that for balance's sake

Thanks for the input! I've been out of pocket for a bit for real life stuff...

I updated it (v1.0.4), and the changes are small so I don't think it will break your game if you update it. If you can think of anything else that might need tweaking let me know. I didn't test the changes out a whole lot (modlet loads, threw some to see how they flew, validated stack sizes) so how it feels in a real game is an unknown.

- Reduced steel pipe bomb radius by 1

- Increased stack size of all pipe bombs (even vanilla) to 30

- Changed throwing "power" of steel pipe bomb to be a little easier on the arms ;). It still flies "the least" but its more in line with the others.

The direct download is on my modlets page, or here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/Dou...ive/v1.0.4.zip