POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?

ZombieSurvivor

POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?

• No way it'll ruin the game!
    • No I like the game as is.
    • I'm chill and could care less.
    • Yeah sure.
    • Yes and it's long over due...Devs..

voted for no, although i wouldnt mind a bit more complexity on the growing side. irl i am a keen gardener...

jumped in here reading very little of what has been posted already

sure food can build up a bit, but there are other ways to sink it out as i am sure others have mentioned

quests to supply trader/npc

make some sort of block from food that will attract animals

seasons to limit when things can grow

make plants biome specific - nothing grows in snow after all

how about a zombie trap that you have to bait with meat

you get to the point with most things when you have a surplus, i got more engines than i could possibly use at the moment in my current playthru because i had to wrench a gazillion cars to get enough oil for a crucible. plus i got heaps of mech parts too so no point in scrapping them. once you have a nice big stack of one type of food (hobo stew for example) all you need is that and some vitamins and you can concentrate on looting or mining or a build project or finding that last damned magazine or..... plenty to do without having to fuss over food imo

It could be done, but make it realistic. 30 game days or something. One of the things I HATE about this game is that you can starve to death in less than a day. Thats not realistic.

It's not realistic to grow crops in 2 days either.... or to heal injuries in 30 minutes. If they used realistic times for things it would be a boring game.

I personally like it as well my friends. But as it can be seen, it's irritating to lot of ppl, so... Make it optional?

In this case "optional" isn't a practical answer as TFP would have to design the optional system and then debug and balance both (quite different) systems for a long time. Additional work that is then seen only by a subset of the players. While hundreds of other (non-optional) feature ideas they have would actually be seen by everyone and therefore would be far above any optional features.

Pretty sure the word "optional" translated to TFP-speak is "mod". :cocksure:

Haven't really read other posts besides the OP.

IMO, if you reach a point in a survival game where food is no longer something that concerns you, then that is a deficiency in the games design. I'm not saying you should never be able to reach a point where you have a sustainable food source. But that sustainable food source should require maintenance and/or protection. There should always be a threat of not having food in some capacity or another. I would like to see the game reach a state in which finding canned food feels really valuable.

However, I think that this is something that is impossible to balance well for both single player and multiplayer simultaneously. They would need to have separate settings to be done well. So granted that isn't possible, I would prefer leaving things alone.

Name any survival game where food remains an issue throughout from beginning to end. I can't. The games that come closest (that I've played) are The Long Dark and This War Of Mine. But then even the former gives you a rifle eventually which more or less solves everything and the latter ends after a certain number of days so doesn't really count.

I think the whole point of a survival game is that the player can take measures to improve his situation and quality of life, including his food situation till it's no longer an issue. Beyond that he should be improving even further with rarer recipes or better cooking facilities that not only feed but bestow decent buffs.

Footnote: Green Hell might as the food system seems very complex in that game. I own it but haven't played it yet.

Name any survival game where food remains an issue throughout from beginning to end. I can't. The games that come closest (that I've played) are The Long Dark and This War Of Mine. But then even the former gives you a rifle eventually which more or less solves everything and the latter ends after a certain number of days so doesn't really count.

I think the whole point of a survival game is that the player can take measures to improve his situation and quality of life, including his food situation till it's no longer an issue. Beyond that he should be improving even further with rarer recipes or better cooking facilities that not only feed but bestow decent buffs.

Footnote: Green Hell might as the food system seems very complex in that game. I own it but haven't played it yet.

I agree 100%

Also own but haven’t played Green Hell yet. So I really mean 100%

Green Hell's food system is more complex, but I would say that food doesn't remain a true issue past early game. You're never food 'secure' - there's no way to 100% preserve food and the spoilage system along with more limited storage does seem to prevent heavy stockpiling for the most part. That said, I've never felt 'pressed' for food past early game. Learning what plants, trees, processing methods does take time, but food spawn points are fairly plentiful and reset relatively timely on medium difficulty.

Higher difficulties might change that up to some degree, but ultimately, food procurement and management aren't particularly hard, but they are fairly persistent.

Archived