POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?

ZombieSurvivor

POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?

• No way it'll ruin the game!
    • No I like the game as is.
    • I'm chill and could care less.
    • Yeah sure.
    • Yes and it's long over due...Devs..

If implemented in a good way and does not have a huge impact on performance, would you like to see food spoilage added some time in the future?

Feel free to give ideas about how such a feature could be implemented.

All ideas welcome but a peaceful debate is encouraged on the pros and cons of anything suggested.

I voted - "No I like the game as is." I will explain why.

This system has already been implemented in the "Starvation" mod. It didn't really work.

I've noticed that all the people use tricks to avoid spoilage.

Unfortunately is only annoying, but does not bring anything good. This is good only in imagination but in practice things are not so.

I voted - "No I like the game as is." I will explain why.

This system has already been implemented in the "Starvation" mod. It didn't really work.

I've noticed that all the people use tricks to avoid spoilage.

Unfortunately is only annoying, but does not bring anything good. This is good only in imagination but in practice things are not so.

Not to be stingy... but this is not only a weak argument, since there is more than one way to implement spoilage, but you also bring up exploits as if that was any indication of a good mechanic :D

Sure hordenight is exploited a lot by ppl... screamers are exploited... and so on.

I think nearly anything would be better than this "Eat something to eat more of it" system they have in place now.

Doesnt have to be spoilage, but at least SOMETHING that connects the poisoning to the rest of the game.

Not to be stingy... but this is not only a weak argument, since there is more than one way to implement spoilage, but you also bring up exploits as if that was any indication of a good mechanic :D

Sure hordenight is exploited a lot by ppl... screamers are exploited... and so on.

I think nearly anything would be better than this "Eat something to eat more of it" system they have in place now.

Doesnt have to be spoilage, but at least SOMETHING that connects the poisoning to the rest of the game.

Well i don't know/can't imagine any other way to implement spoilage system.

Just, if someone really accept it in "starvation" - he wouldn't use the exploit. If i like game mechanics, i bypass exploits so as not to mess my experience.

(:gossip:About the current food system...I have nothing to say, except that this is worthlessly sh*t.)

Well i don't know/can't imagine any other way to implement spoilage system.

(:gossip:About the current food system...I have nothing to say, except that this is worthlessly sh*t.)

Arks core design is great.

But instead of one item beeing gone, make it 1/4 or 1/10 (a percentage of the whole).

So it stacks and will always take the median (so if you stack three with 20min and 1 with 40 it would go to 25 (20+20+20+40/4 = 25))

Once the new stack is formed, they all get the median so you don't need to keep track of every single item, but only have a 5 stack of 25.

When the 25 minutes are gone, you delete 25%-10% or whatever number is most balanced of the whole stack.

So not stacking it is never the better solution.

And boom. Cooler and fridge and freezer only add a multiplier.

I don't see how that would effect the server performance AT ALL. Even with 100 players all having stacks of every food that is like 600 stacks (supported are 8 players btw :D) 600 countdowns... if THAT is too much, you have absolutely no right to be programmers :D

Okay... I take it back... your code might not allow to make it that easy... but if something that easy can't be done in a simple way, you might want to rethink the engine or the language you are using :D

Obviously it should only tick when you or your allies (of the landclaim) are online for multiplayer (or tick much slower when offline), but other than that, this would be a way to make stacks beneficial, and it would incentivise electricity.

Something that many people STILL don't use, because it is so one dimensional. Yes they added a bit, but really electricity is still in its infancy. And to add another reason to explore electricity early is great!

Obviously it should only tick when you or your allies (of the landclaim) are online for multiplayer (or tick much slower when offline), but other than that, this would be a way to make stacks beneficial, and it would incentivise electricity.

Something that many people STILL don't use, because it is so one dimensional. Yes they added a bit, but really electricity is still in its infancy. And to add another reason to explore electricity early is great!

Well, i agree that can think over, of this system and make it really work, but....I do not believe that the developers will do so... (I think, the result will be like "yellow water", which we have now)

In addition, some things in the game are better remain time independent.

You have experienced this in practice in Ark?

I voted #2. I rather the devs put their energy into bandits instead of food spoilage mini game. Maybe afterwards if there is time. There is plenty of time sinks in the game already and adding food spoilage might make it too grindy. Swing the other way then its insignificant. Not enough ROI imo.

I for one would prefer to not see another mechanic that further alienates people from farming, or making food. The food poisoning chance is already really silly, and pointless. It's harder now than it ever was to get farms going on multiplayer. Now you want to make that food progressively useless because it "Spoils?". People often ignore the cooked food over canned because of the already residual food poisoning chance.

Also I don't personally want to see another thing that becomes another game of wack a mole when someone deals with a mechanic in ways others don't like leading more hot fixes, and a complete waste of developer time that could be used on adding more meaningful features. My answer is this, since so many people like to use it on others when they don't like really strange mechanics that make early game play difficult.

You want food spoilage? Mod it in and let the developers use their time elsewhere.

Well, i agree that can think over, of this system and make it really work, but....I do not believe that the developers will do so... (I think, the result will be like "yellow water", which we have now)

In addition, some things in the game are better remain time independent.

You have experienced this in practice in Ark?

Yes. The main difference, and the reason why you can't/shouldn't port their system 1:1 is that over there food is not a scarce ressource. It is in there to incentivise electricity and to keep good foods (the best foods for dinos cost loads of valuable ressources and spoil within an hour without electricity. In the beginning you still have some way to keep your food fresh, but since its never rare, you can stack like 20-100 cooked meat in it and still have 30 over after 2 real life days. That wouldnt work in 7d2d multiplayer, so they would need to change it up somehow.

And I have never heard any complains about spoiling food. Except from those that play on 5000x xp servers because they just wanna have fun and not be bothered with complexity :D

- - - Updated - - -

*snipped for space*

I know it sounds simple, but all that you said hinges on one crucial thing:

balance. Everything you said was only referencing how hard it is and now how enjoyable it could be.

And if they add food spoilage, they can make gardens slightly more beneficial, they can decrease growth timers, they can do whatever. (not saying they will but could to balance it)

So please give me a reason why spoilage would be a bad thing when balanced a bit more

I voted "I'm chill and could care less".

(btw, the phrase is "could NOT care less"... meaning I care so little that it is impossible to care less about it)

If they never add it, I'm ok with that. I would rather have other ways to make food important.

If they do add it, I'm ok with that, but it will bug me a little how food stacking will work because it is never good... though I will deal with it.

btw I really could care less of how its said. Be sure to correct me the next 50x when I make the same mistake, although if you do not, I could care less. Thank you mr. grammer nazi. :)

I'm really not a grammar nazi. Have you ever seen me correct in 1,850 posts? For post 1,851 I needed to make it clear because it reflects my opinion.

I'm really not a grammar nazi. Have you ever seen me correct in 1,850 posts? For post 1,851 I needed to make it clear because it reflects my opinion.

oh...ok cool then. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I fixed the wording on that question. I also voted #4

I wrote it like that for a reason......

If a person could not care less they would not vote becuase they really truelly could not care any less.

If a person cares enough to cast a vote that means that person could care less....

Granted its not how most would view this but i'm a nut case. I did not want the words I used corrected because they were written exactly how I wanted it to be said. :( lol...thanks for the thought behind it though Roland. :)

Now the ones that couldn't care less will cast a vote and I was not trying to include them.....ahh.. lol

Dont mind me, its just crazy psychology mumble jumble..nevermind. *walks away talking to self* lol

In that case then, just about everybody should choose that option since everybody could care less at any given moment if they wanted to... even the person who cares the most. Why are polls being made to psychologically evaluate me?

No but to steer the conversation in the direction I want it to go for this specific thread because I'm looking for numbers that could help me form a belief if more or less of the player base wants food spoiledge. I'm just crazy ignore me lol. :)

Yes. The main difference, and the reason why you can't/shouldn't port their system 1:1 is that over there food is not a scarce ressource. It is in there to incentivise electricity and to keep good foods (the best foods for dinos cost loads of valuable ressources and spoil within an hour without electricity. In the beginning you still have some way to keep your food fresh, but since its never rare, you can stack like 20-100 cooked meat in it and still have 30 over after 2 real life days. That wouldnt work in 7d2d multiplayer, so they would need to change it up somehow.

And I have never heard any complains about spoiling food. Except from those that play on 5000x xp servers because they just wanna have fun and not be bothered with complexity :D

- - - Updated - - -

I know it sounds simple, but all that you said hinges on one crucial thing:

balance. Everything you said was only referencing how hard it is and now how enjoyable it could be.

And if they add food spoilage, they can make gardens slightly more beneficial, they can decrease growth timers, they can do whatever. (not saying they will but could to balance it)

So please give me a reason why spoilage would be a bad thing when balanced a bit more

Are you actually interested in a proper discussion? You don't seem to be. Nothing you have said here really has much to do with what I state, and gives me little inclination to flesh out my thoughts if they are just going to be ignored.

Food spoilage could make food and nutrition such a fun mechanic to play with. It could add additional purposes to spend points into farming skills, cooking skills, tracking and hunting skills, fortitude skills, and if that isn't enough, additional benefits for electricity.

The devs could make working coolers and fridges to store food so it doesn't spoil. With food spoilage they could avoid players from literally throwing food and drink items away, as every food and water item could be the difference between survival or death. It would give the devs the benefit of expanding the purity, quality and disease risk level of food items they talked about in the game's kickstarter trailer.

All in all, I don't see why they're so hesitant to consider the concept of food spoilage. The nutrition system in this game feels very bland and oversimplified, which is a bit disappointing, considering that it's a core element in every game with surival and post-apocalyptic themes. This game has struggled with problems regarding food abundancy for the longest time. I even remember some versions of the game where it was literally impossible to die from starvation/dehydration due to a bug, but not many players noticed because food was never an issue.

I just think they either don't want to make a nutrition system that's any more complex than what we have, or they don't feel like dealing with the balancing needed for this mechanic to work.

Honestly though, I thought the whole purity level and chance for disease thing from the trailer would be more than a 4% chance of food poisoning in cooked foods.

[/opinion]

You want food spoilage? Mod it in and let the developers use their time elsewhere.

If anyone has any clue on how to do this, please let me know. :)

My prediction is that it is going to be pretty split. In every discussion we’ve ever had in this forum it has always been so. You either love it or hate it and very few convert over. ;)

It always depends on how someone communicates something.

If someone is crying the whole time that there is too much food in the game and that he wants to starve and he generally thinks that the player should crawl 20 hours over glass before he feels normal then the concept is more likely to meet with resistance.

If, on the other hand, you explain why food spoilage is positive for the game and the gaming experience and what mechanics are possible in the game as a result, then it is seen quite differently.

For example, in Ark the spoiled meat is needed for narcotic ammunition. This makes it something the player wants to have. There are even mods that allow you to spoil meat more quickly.

Each one of us has experiences and they are meaningful to us individuality. They do not speak for the majority by experience alone. What this means is that claims such as "I don't know anyone who has an issue with this" really has no weight in this discussion. Just because someone has not personally heard discourse does not give them the ground to claim few or no one is really taking issue with it. Echo chambers don't always reflect reality outside their little safe spaces. That it is implemented in other games is somewhat meaningless information. What works in one game doesn't always work with another.

People like me don't like to post here. Our thoughts often get belittled as people seemingly devalue our thoughts by claiming we simply want a game that is too easy, or we don't want challenge. Many people want challenge. That's what makes the game fun, I presume? I challenge people who insist on changes to make any game "harder" to consider if they are asking because it is a meaningful addition to the game, or if it is remedying the problem they created for themselves because they have been playing the game so long that it lacks the original luster.

The idea of food spoilage had massive implications for multiplayer. This is already the game that thinks that one solution to being poisoned by food that may have been served by a Master Chief (with all 5 points!) is to eat more food. I'd laugh save it's a waste of food and aggravating after all the effort in multiplayer to get the farm up and for looters to bring back the correct canned goods. Don't worry, you can always pop a pill (vitamins is it?) before eating because that totally makes sense. Or you could spend precious points into Iron gut....or just eat canned food. Save now every other vending machine is just wrench fodder.

This is also the game that has made it a requirement to use rotten flesh for farms (I see no issue with that), and it's a collective effort multiplayer to put a community farm up managed by those who either specced into it, or found the right schematics (The RNG gods must have happy). The solution if there isn't enough to go around especially if not everyone is cozy with each other is to tell the people running the server its their responsibility to adjust the server settings. Okay so that's how it is right? Oh wait, now this is the game that people are considering putting in FOOD SPOILAGE.

That's right, after you put the effort into making a farm and wrestling the canned food out of your player's hands, your reward is food that not only has a chance to make you puke regardless of the skill of the one who made it, but now progressively spoils and can make you puke more, and possibly other side effects? Oh the food has special powers, so it makes the risk worth it?

For multiplayer this means you have to consider how many people need food per play-through, and try to not make too much beyond that. If any food is made you better hope that no one logs in after everyone else is gone dealing with life. Would suck to log in and that meat spoiled because of one person. Speaking of which what happens to the food people carry on person? Does that spoil while they are logged out and others are still playing, advancing time? How does that work? Let me tell you a secret. If you don't make the food spoil in inventory you will have people whining a bit claiming that is cheesing a mechanic. So what else? We could get electricity powering containers to refrigerate food to lower spoilage. That means prioritizing your electricity and parts to a fridge over being more mobile, or getting stuff up to build your Horde Base. This is where this becomes a little bit of a sore thumb. Right now the best solution to Horde on multiplayer is run and gun on your bike (which many people on this forum raged against in the past as a viable mechanic) to building separate bases so you don't get overwhelmed on Horde Night by Demolishers or lag. Mechanical parts get used up quickly as well as other resources. It's going to be another strain to consider powering your boxes to keep food from spoiling unless a really careful re balance for multiplayer is done.

I have a better idea than this. Don't do it. It's a lot headache ultimately for a bit of realism that isn't needed. It's time spent re-balancing many things that could be used to make something more dynamic. Or, at least make sure to branch out fully with well thought changes/new implementations. Instead you could tie the food poisoning to cooking skill. The higher the skill the cooker has, the less food poisoning chance. Then add in the ability to salt and dry meat, and jar/can your farmed goods to prolong their use. Add salt mining, and new books to the game, as well as a new cooking mechanism for meat that dries/preserves it. You can have debuffs such as eating salted preserved foods causes you to lose some hydration so you have to drink more. Canned/jarred foods may not have a high satiety. Maybe high sugar foods make you lose some stamina if you eat too much of it. The Pimps can do better than "Food spoilage". Unless I see a full plan before implemented I don't want to see it at all. We don't need another adding a borked system that will be fixed eventually with balancing and more additions.

Archived