Tips for coop

Kalarro

I just convinced a friend to play 7d2d with me. Since Ive been playing solo for 4 years, I need some tips on how to set it up.

1. Should we make a server (in one our computers) and both join, or just create a normal game and the other joins?

2. Is there any way to start together? If not, is there any way the admin can teleport the other guy to himself?

3. What about modifying xml? Who needs to do it, both, the one who creates, other different files?

4. is there any way to pause the game using console or any server admin privilege?

1. I start a game on my computer and just have my wife join mine. It works perfect for us but I'm not sure how far you two are from each other or anything like that. Could always try it and see how good of a connection your friend has.

2. You might not start together. We always use the "tele player2 player1" command, player2 will teleport to player1.

3. Since my wife joins my game so far I'm the only one that has had to modify the xml or download modlets. I'm not sure if certain changes will be require both players to do it though, still kind of new at it.

4. I know there used to be a way to pause the game but I can't seem to find out what it is now. It would definitely come in handy at times.

1. I start a game on my computer and just have my wife join mine. It works perfect for us but I'm not sure how far you two are from each other or anything like that. Could always try it and see how good of a connection your friend has.

2. You might not start together. We always use the "tele player2 player1" command, player2 will teleport to player1.

3. Since my wife joins my game so far I'm the only one that has had to modify the xml or download modlets. I'm not sure if certain changes will be require both players to do it though, still kind of new at it.

4. I know there used to be a way to pause the game but I can't seem to find out what it is now. It would definitely come in handy at times.

That teleport command is just what I was looking for, thanks.

With today tendency of making all games online by default, Im grateful for any game which has a pause button even when Im solo. Few games take it a step further like terraria. In that game, if you are solo and pause, it pauses. If you are playing with ppl and pause, it doesnt pause obviously. But if every present player pauses, it pauses. Always loved that. As a gamer parent with 2 small kids, I inform myself about the pause options well before getting any game.

1. Should we make a server (in one our computers) and both join, or just create a normal game and the other joins?

I'd prever a dedicated server... since you seem to only play with two people and alaways want to progress if you explicitly only play both, one hosting the game might be sufficient anyway.

3. What about modifying xml? Who needs to do it, both, the one who creates, other different files?

(Most) XML-Changes need to be done on the server. At least when using a dedicated. I have no experience with local hosting.

4. is there any way to pause the game using console or any server admin privilege?

What do you mean with "pause". If you play on a dedicated, gametime stops when no player is online. If you host a game from within the client, there is no server running while no one plays, so time stopped anyway.

So you don't need to worry about a bloodmoon happening when nobody is online. (Even if it did, the bloodmoon won't spawn any zombies since the gamestage then is 0 and the Zs won't find any target after that they should go for)

Thanks for the tips Liesel. ABout the pause, I was more thinking about a real pause, not closing the game. Kids often need a few minutes attention and exiting and entering the game all the time isnt always viable. I know any multiplayer option rarely has a pause, but having control over the server tools could have had such an option

xml changes only need to be done by the host. The client computer will copy those changes (and lose their own) while playing.

Nitrogen is a map generating program for 7dtd, only the host needs to use it, generate a map, save it to their worlds folder (its really simple and well explained) and start a game on that map. Nitrogen will let you control how many or few cities, towns, and assorted POIs, traders and map features you want, but more importantly for this thread, there is an option to have only ONE player spawn...so you'll automatically both start together, as well as any other players who join.

as far as dedicated server vs. 1 player host. The only benefit to dedicated server for 2 player is that it isn't reliant on the host player. For 1 player host, player 2 can't play alone. There isn't an option for player 1 to quickly exit the game and take care of something then come back without booting player 2. If that doesn't sound like a real issue for you, then 1 player host should work just fine.

I see. Im using a Nitrogen map for my solo game right now, so I know how it works. Love the RWG I can make with it, my only gripe is that almost every POI is a dungeon. Maybe I was lucky in my other normal RWG a18 games,but they had many non dungeon POIs, which I like. I get sooo tired of the closet zombies and breaking floors. Some of them in the map is awesome, almost all of them, no thx.

I know any multiplayer option rarely has a pause, but having control over the server tools could have had such an option

Ah, i don't think 7 days 2 days has such a function, at least i don't know one. Such pause function is usually not in multiplayer games for a reason. You can only pause for all players or not pause at all. If everybody can pause, that would be anoying.

But that is relatively easy to handle in 7d2d. Just make sure you are not on a bloodmoon or don't stay in an unsecured poi. Just stay in a cleaned room or even in your base and it is usally not a problem to be away for some minutes. I mostly even stay in the wild. There might accidentally a horde of dogs spawn and i would die, but that actually never happened when i was afk. :)

If it takes longer, log off (also a reason why i prefer dedicated).

Just make sure you are not on a bloodmoon or don't stay in an unsecured poi. Just stay in a cleaned room or even in your base

hehe tell that to the kids :p

But its not a big deal, I knew there was probably no option in a server. I cant stand singleplayer games with no pause tho

hehe tell that to the kids :p

tell that the other people you are playing with. ;)

Might not be an issue if you only play with your friend but imagine a game with 10 players, all having kids.

Playing 3min, Player 3 paused the game for 2min, playing another 5min, Player 7 paused the game for 3min, playing 2min, Player 1 paused the game for another 2min, Player 5 paused within the pause of Player 1 for further 5min, playing 3min, Player 3 paused, has no kids but needs to go to the toilet, ...

I just convinced a friend to play 7d2d with me. Since Ive been playing solo for 4 years, I need some tips on how to set it up.

2. Is there any way to start together? If not, is there any way the admin can teleport the other guy to himself?

1) Do you need the server to be available when one of you is not there? If so, one of you needs to host a full-on server and keep it (and his PC) running 24/7. If not, and you will always play together, just start a game on one of your machines and the other joins as required. Always chose the person with the best PC to host (RAM > CPU > GPU). The chosen host must then be the host forever. He can play on his own but the other cannot.

2. No it's RNG. The host can teleport players through the console though.

3. Depends on the setting you are changing and will mostly be self explanatory. Vehicle speed tweaks for example or modifying the impact of death penalty are personal settings you'd both have to change individually. Most settings, only the host has to do it.

4. Not that I know of.

tell that the other people you are playing with. ;)

Might not be an issue if you only play with your friend but imagine a game with 10 players, all having kids.

Playing 3min, Player 3 paused the game for 2min, playing another 5min, Player 7 paused the game for 3min, playing 2min, Player 1 paused the game for another 2min, Player 5 paused within the pause of Player 1 for further 5min, playing 3min, Player 3 paused, has no kids but needs to go to the toilet, ...

ofc Im not asking for players beeing able to pause the game in servers, would be crazy. But we will only be 2, so a command for the admin ot pause the server wouldnt be crazy. Didnt think it would exist tho

3. Depends on the setting you are changing and will mostly be self explanatory. Vehicle speed tweaks for example or modifying the impact of death penalty are personal settings you'd both have to change individually. Most settings, only the host has to do it.

Where did you get that? If I'm hosting a single player game with friends playing, they inherit my xml settings completely AFAIK...I know for a fact they inherit quest reward changes, vehicle speed changes, xp gain changes. It's exactly the same with a dedicated server. I'm currently playing on a dedicated server my friend runs that has xml-changed vehicle speeds (I also have DIFFERENT xml changed vehicle speeds) and all players vehicles are affected by the server xml changes, not their own individual xml settings.

Archived