Why no one is doing anything for 7 days to die

Doggman1414

Thank you TTG for ♥♥♥♥ing over console players on this one by announcing an Alpha build as a finished product.

That is the biggest issue I had. When it was first announced I was shocked and confused TTG was calling it a finished product. It was a really crappy move on their part.

Second, IG will need to resume work on the port. Do they have the same team members that worked on it before? If so that will be easier. Otherwise they will almost be starting over from scratch. Just to finish the current build that was almost ready for release will take several months, and will cost several million dollars.

Then once that happens, do they continue? Do they just drop it there? These kinds of things would have been negotiated back in the first step. It does not make sense to spend several million dollars just to release a patch though.

That's not even counting the issue that IG is not a publisher as far as im aware. So they would still need a company to actually manufacture, ship, etc or undertake the publishing aspect of the game which is totally separate from the porting aspect. Theoretically TFP could do it themselves, but they don't have the staff for that so it would be more expenses and time.

The problem is most people who are really upset have sunk countless hours in the game and as there isn't another game quite like 7DTD so i guess some feel like they cant transfer to something else.

TTG management have really mishandled the situation and feel bad for people who's employment has been put at risk or worse.

Saying that the game was well worth the money IMO and is proberly the best value for money game i have bought on console.

It makes no sense to invest time and money into patching 7dtd on ps4 and X1 , and no one has mentioned who owns the sourcecode for the entire game even if it exists now.

Do people honestly think it's going to happen ?

Nothing is going to happen anytime soon regards a new 7DTD console game i'm guessing it will be nextgen if at all.

On the console version i spent time reporting bugs and made a small guide on SI pathing shortcircuiting and sunk many hours into the game but i'm not mad at TFP.

I had fun with the game got moneys worth many times over.

Lucky for me i have and fairly old i7 that can run the pc version on mid settings and have recently started playing A18.

I bought the pc version around a15 but wanted the ease of the console so didn't really play it until A18 dropped.

Now i'm thinking why didn't i switch earlier as its no real hassle playing on pc plus all the benefits.

I understand if people cant afford to spend £400+ on a refurb min spec pc that may not be futureproof for many years (~2012 quadcore i5 with >=8gb ram and a gtx1600 should last a couple of years though).

I encourage you to put your energy into something else as this is going nowhere.

That's not even counting the issue that IG is not a publisher as far as im aware. So they would still need a company to actually manufacture, ship, etc or undertake the publishing aspect of the game which is totally separate from the porting aspect. Theoretically TFP could do it themselves, but they don't have the staff for that so it would be more expenses and time.

I believe TFP would do it themselves. This brings a whole other new line of costs and lawyer fees I didn't mention.

It makes no sense to invest time and money into patching 7dtd on ps4 and X1 , and no one has mentioned who owns the sourcecode for the entire game even if it exists now.

TFP should have this now. It's what TTG was holding on to, that TFP spent months fighting to get.

I reread what i posted and reading what Sylen has quoted me on i kind of look like i dont care and don't think the game was worth continuing with.

I do care and before TTG collapsed thought there was going to be a few major updates before the consoles hit a brickwall and then some time hopefully spent optimising but like to iterate that after losing the publisher it doesn't make sense to continue at this time.

Sorry if i didn't make myself clear in the first place.

That is the biggest issue I had. When it was first announced I was shocked and confused TTG was calling it a finished product. It was a really crappy move on their part.

No worse than TFP selling the rights to a game nowhere near being completed. TFP sold the rights to build the pc version while TTG sold for pure profit. Both companies screwed console players in the end

let's say in 2 years, there will be a team that will port the game to console

maybe it will be A20.

will the console get an update to the same version or will they have

to buy the game again?

Clear answer: It depends.

Afaik the ps4 version was not sold as an developing alpha but as a final product. So you shouldn't have any expactation on updates. You bought a final version. If you're not confident with that version, you shouldn't have bought it. There is no such thing like developing Early Access on PS4.

People are ALWAYS complaining. On the PC-version they complain about they don't like the recent changes of the current version, on consoles now they complain about not getting any changes.

And to be honest, the A15 version the console port was based on imho was a more complete game then some other "final" game releases.

I don't get it. You buy a game as it is in this moment... if you don't like it as it is at that moment, don't buy it. That also applies to the PC-version. If you buy alpha X and don't like alpha X+1, just continue playing alpha X. If you don't want a game to change, don't buy an alpha version. And the console version was even sold as "final", take it or leave it. IMHO.

The "best" is people complaining about recent changes after they already spent 1000s of hours into the previous version. What the hell do they expect? A lifetime support of fun excatly what they imagine for just paying 25$ once? I wonder what some people dream of while they are sleeping.

For PC-Users i'd say: Mod it. There are dozens of mods out there. For console players: At the time you bought the game you knew that there will be no mod support, so don't complain about missing mods!

Many people buy full price games at ~60$, play them for 50 hours and are absolutely satisfied. They even buy the "same" followup game next year with little changes for again full price of ~60$ and are lucky because they got a new version. WHAT THE ♥♥♥♥ IS THE PROBLEM WITH 7D2D THEN? You bought a game for only 25$, played it for hundrets of hours and still complain about not getting an update?

What makes you think you deserved an update?

Do you also go the cinema, pay 15$ to watch a movie and then complain about you want to watch another movie or the sequel without paying again? Because you paid already for the first movie?

I don't know how some people think, or if they even think at all. I paid ~25$ for A15 on PC. I spent only ~500 hours on 7d2d. Reading the forums that is even a very low value. But for sure it was one of the most cost effective game i ever bought.

How many hours did you console guys got entertained by buying the latest Call of Duty or other blockbuster games? For full price, just because you wanted to have it on release day? And you are still complaining about not getting an update on 7d2d. That's ridiculous.

Would you by a house which doesn't fit your needs and you know even before buying you need to completely rebuild it? No you wouldn't. Or buy a house under construction without knowing how it looks like if it is finished?

But why then are you buying a game under the same circumstances? Because it just costs 25$? If the price is the only reason, then shut up complaining. You bought stuff you have no idea about so deal with it if it doesn't meet your fantasy. You gambled, you lost.

Imho from A15 (as i started playing) the game could have been released as final. It just would have needed some bugfixing, but regards the content it's worth a full game. You can spend hundrets of hours playing it. Once you've spent 100s of hours, what exactly is the complain? Just want more? Because, Because, because you want to have more?

It is not yet final, because the devs decided it is not want they want to be final. Thats ist. Nothing more, nothing less. It is NOT YOUR decision. Deal with it.

They should have just stuck to that idea and not tried to keep the console version within the wake of the PC version. They should have just done a few bug fixing/ optimization updates and called it done. Console was supposed to be a finished standalone game based on the Alpha 14 version but they got too excited and tried to make it more.

The only thing i need to know about 7 Days and Console is:

Imagine:

let's say in 2 years, there will be a team that will port the game to console

maybe it will be A20.

will the console get an update to the same version or will they have

to buy the game again?

If you read the press release it sounds very unlikely that a future console version of 7 Days to Die will come to current consoles. Most likely it will be a reboot on the next generation of consoles. So the answer is you will have to buy the next version.

No worse than TFP selling the rights to a game nowhere near being completed. TFP sold the rights to build the pc version while TTG sold for pure profit. Both companies screwed console players in the end

TFP selling the rights before it was done is perfectly normal. People sell movie rights before series or books are done for instance.

Also TFP never sold the rights to the PC version, assuming you meant console.

TFP selling the rights before it was done is perfectly normal. People sell movie rights before series or books are done for instance.

Also TFP never sold the rights to the PC version, assuming you meant console.

No what i meant was TFP sold the console rights so that they could develop the PC with the money they received. I dont think it is any coincidence that PC received updates significantly quicker and more frequently following the sale of the console rights

Also unlike books, movies etc this game had/has no direction and was barely above a beta release. I can't think of a single game that was ported off an out of date, incomplete game other than this one honestly.

No what i meant was TFP sold the console rights so that they could develop the PC with the money they received.

This is false. They were excited to get their game on additional platforms because they are excited about their game and for any developer having the opportunity to get your game on major consoles is an accomplishment. While extra income is always welcome and they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't going to be profitable they did not need to do it to continue development. 7 Days to Die sells very well and before becoming game developers the owners were all successful businessmen in their own right so they have been managing their company very well.

I dont think it is any coincidence that PC received updates significantly quicker and more frequently following the sale of the console rights

This is laughable and wholly inaccurate. The console rights were sold back when Alpha 14 was being released. Alpha 14 was the version the console game was based upon. Alpha 15 took longer to release than Alpha 14 did and Alpha 16 was even longer and A17 was the longest dev cycle of all at 1.5 years. Alpha 18 was also a longer dev cycle than A14 though shorter than A17. There were 13 major updates before console and there have only been 4 since console. There is zero evidence to support your claim that PC updates came faster after the console rights were sold.

First, TFP has to strike a new contract with IG. This will require lawyers, and several months of deliberation. Just this alone will cost a few mil.

Second, IG will need to resume work on the port. Do they have the same team members that worked on it before? If so that will be easier. Otherwise they will almost be starting over from scratch. Just to finish the current build that was almost ready for release will take several months, and will cost several million dollars.

Then once that happens, do they continue? Do they just drop it there? These kinds of things would have been negotiated back in the first step. It does not make sense to spend several million dollars just to release a patch though.

Which leads us to the other issue...

Say they decide to continue and work into aligning the console to the final build. This is going to take a couple of years, and won't be released until after TFP have finished the original PC game. (This is really the next step, because after finishing the next update, any new updates hat aren't hotfixes for current code would require a new save.)

The issue with all of this is that it will break current saves. Both Sony and Microshaft have a rule set against this. So they would be unable to update the current version without designing a new process for keeping the old format semi-compatible. Which will take a lot of time and several million dollars. So in order to release the actual finished version, this will likely require a second game release.

Thank you TTG for ♥♥♥♥ing over console players on this one by announcing an Alpha build as a finished product.

Now after all of that is considered, you have the primary consideration before you even go onto any of this. Money.

Will continued support of the console port be financially feasible?

If TFP goes into this process and spends 30 million dollars on it, is there any chance of recouping that cost? They are a small indie developer. They don't have that kind of money to just throw away.

Thank you Sylen.

For the record many of the updates I downloaded required me to restart the console version. So maybe I dont fully understand what you mean by آ“break current savesآ”. Matter of fact when updates were published by TTG they clearly stated you would need to restart (lose your current game) for the new update features. This was the only part of your post, I feel I might have misunderstood or disagreed with.

آ“These kinds of things would have been negotiated back in the first step.آ”

I totally agree. I think these things would have been discussed long before spending money to regain the rights. This is why I am salty about TFP and their plan. I would say it is a lack of plan. They should have cut bait when TTG went under and said we dont know console, or have the money to finish the update TTG was working on. Painful, but I would have understood. I am only here because TFP keep the idea alive. Not TTG, but now TFP.

Or correct me if I am wrong and TFP didnt say they might do something after PC goes gold? Either update or possibly new release.

To me it would be this simple. What is the cost of the update. Put that cost + some profit and put it on kickstart. If console players want it, they will pay for it. If not then OWN up and say its over. At least the current console version. Next gen or re-release discussion comes up after PC goes gold.

You loudly and clearly pointed out why the current version of console is dead. Why then wont TFP say that instead of leading us down this long windy road that when PC finally goes gold. We will get to hear sorry guys but.... Just tell us now.

This is false. They were excited to get their game on additional platforms because they are excited about their game and for any developer having the opportunity to get your game on major consoles is an accomplishment. While extra income is always welcome and they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't going to be profitable they did not need to do it to continue development. 7 Days to Die sells very well and before becoming game developers the owners were all successful businessmen in their own right so they have been managing their company very well.

So what happened between selling the rights to a game for money you dont need, to now? Are TFP no longer excited about their console version?

“The Fun Pimps are a PC game developer and publisher…and we do not have the resources or expertise to do ports/updates to the console, so we licensed the console publishing rights to Telltale Games who hired Iron Galaxy who have done the ports with minimal TFP assistance.“

This statment seems to make skills_over_9000 statment plausible.

I didn’t include your 2nd paragraph, because I agree. ZERO coincidence between PC updates and console sales.

So what happened between selling the rights to a game for money you dont need, to now? Are TFP no longer excited about their console version?

“The Fun Pimps are a PC game developer and publisher…and we do not have the resources or expertise to do ports/updates to the console, so we licensed the console publishing rights to Telltale Games who hired Iron Galaxy who have done the ports with minimal TFP assistance.“

I didn’t include your 2nd paragraph, because I agree. ZERO coincidence between PC updates and console sales.

Because Roland is wrong lol. No company would sell rights to a game just because especially if they had intentions to bring it to console themselves eventually. Add to that TFP just "didn't need the money" according to Roland and you have a very unlikely and fairly illogical explanation for why TFP did what they did.

As to Roland speaking about complete Alpha releases and technically he is right but only because he specifically says full alpha releases. Several updates were launched in between Aplha updates and yes they launched with more frequency than before the flux of income from selling the rights. Its a game of technicalities when trying to defend all of this

Because Roland is wrong lol. No company would sell rights to a game just because especially if they had intentions to bring it to console themselves eventually. Add to that TFP just "didn't need the money" according to Roland and you have a very unlikely and fairly illogical explanation for why TFP did what they did.

As to Roland speaking about complete Alpha releases and technically he is right but only because he specifically says full alpha releases. Several updates were launched in between Aplha updates and yes they launched with more frequency than before the flux of income from selling the rights. Its a game of technicalities when trying to defend all of this

When TFP licenced to TTG they surely had the idea that all future versions would be brought to console by TTG. Think of it as getting the fame (and a steady stream of licencing money trickling in for years to come) without doing the work. Work you don't want to be doing yourself if you can avoid it.

If you still have problems grokking it, an author might like his book made into a movie too, but most of the time he wants AND needs someone else to do the actual filming.

There is no indication the licence was time-limited and TFP wanted to do console themselves in the future. If it were time-limited, TFP could just have sat out the duration instead of throwing money at an auction and lawyers.

About the money: TFP had to put money into the auction and into lawyer fees that used up an unknown part of the licencing money (and according to them a lot more than they initially expected). TFP also had been calculating the future aka their time table with the licencing money included. Maybe they invested some of that money long-term to be used for development of game nr.2, maybe that money allowed them to increase the time frame for the development of PC 7D2D. It doesn't necessarily mean they depend on the licencing money, but it means it helps like any other income source.

Whatever you get paid in your job, you probably can live with it. If you suddenly get 20% more pay, you can order better food and buy a bigger PC. But it doesn't mean you NEED that money.

I'm sure they are excited but also hesitant to now license it out again in fear of something else happening. Being excited doesn't change the fact that they weren't equipped to put it on consoles themselves are were relying on TTG and IG who screwed up royally. I'd bet they'd love to get an updated game out for consoles, but they don't have the expertise to do so hence why they had hoped TTG would handle it.

They never had an intention to bring it to console while making the game. It was always an afterthought after release just like their current stance now. They have been and still are a PC developer. When a reputable company approached them they thought it would be a mutually beneficial and didn't expect TTG to go under and fail. Just like i'm sure JK Rowling didn't plan on her books being made into movies but when someone approached her and offered to take her work and make a movie she jumped on it as she wasn't equipped to make her own movie.

Also yeah we are talking about new Alpha releases becuase the smaller builds were nothing but small bug fixes and tweaks after the major updates. The development time between those hasn't changed.

What do you mean what happened? The publishing company went bankrupt. TFP had to purchase back their rights. I said they went into the deal because they believed it would be profitable. I never said they didn't want more money. I said that Skills was wrong to assume that more money was necessary for further PC development. Who says no to more money when the opportunity comes? Of course TFP is still interested in having a presence in the console market. They have said that they hope to be able to bring an updated version to the next generation of consoles.

This statement seems to make skills_over_9000 statment plausible.

How? Skills is claiming that TFP went console in order to feed off console customers in order to make updates for PC customers. The statement above says nothing about going into the console market in order to better fund PC development. There is zero correlation between skills' claim that TFP went into console because they needed money from console players in order to fund their PC game.

It says that TFP needed a console publishing company and a console development studio in order to make their dreams of a console presence come true. What are the resources and expertise that Telltale Games had that TFP didn't? How about the ability to manufacture physical game discs and packaging for brick and mortar stores? How about already established distribution networks and connections with all of those stores to get the games onto the shelves? How about already established connections with Sony and Microsoft? How about already established relationships with console development studios? What resources did Iron Galaxy have that TFP didn't have? How about dev kits for Xbox and Playstation? How about experience of porting and developing for those platforms?

When TFP admits to being solely a PC development studio they are just stating what has been true since their founding about 7 years ago. They only develop for PC. They gave source code and members of the team worked with members of Iron Galaxy's team when requested.

Now....did they use even one cent of the profits from console sales to help fund PC updates? Technically, no, because they have never yet run out of money generated by the PC sales alone. But I doubt they are keeping console profits in a separate account to make sure console profits and PC profits never mix....

huh? When did I say they sold their rights to a game "just because"? I told you they are savvy businessmen. They sold their rights because it increased their market share, increased their notoriety and name recognition, increased their profits, and because as I said it is the dream of most small independent studios to see their games on the major console platforms. None of that is "just because".

Rick: Hey Joel what day is today?

Joel: Tuesday

Rick: Wanna go out for tacos and sell our rights to a console publisher?

Joel: Sure but why?

Rick: What do you mean? Taco Tuesday....

Joel: mkay sure....whatever....

As to Roland speaking about complete Alpha releases and technically he is right but only because he specifically says full alpha releases. Several updates were launched in between Alpha updates and yes they launched with more frequency than before the flux of income from selling the rights. Its a game of technicalities when trying to defend all of this

Only a console player would ever want to count .x updates...lol. Over on the PC side when people are complaining about how slow the updates are and I try and count the .x updates they say "Only if you want to be technical...only the big updates should count" ....lmao. But let's look at all the updates and see if my claim or your claim is actually and not just technically right:

Pre-Console on Steam (a period of time of approximately 2.5 years)

3.0, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 7.9, 7.10, 7.11, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 11.5, 11.6, 12.0, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 12.4, 12.5, 13.0, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, 13.4, 13.5, 13.6, 13.7, 13.8, 13.9, 14.0, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 14.4, 14.5, 14.6, 14.7, 14.8

Post-Console on Steam (a period of time of approximately 3.5 years)

15.0, 15.1, 15.2, 16.0, 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, 16.4, 17.0, 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 17.4, 18.1, 18.2

Thank you Skills for encouraging me to look at ALL the updates so our conversation wouldn't be based just on technicalities.

Pre-Console update rate: 2.37 updates per month on average.

Post-Console update rate: 0.36 updates per month on average.

About the money: TFP had to put money into the auction and into lawyer fees that used up an unknown part of the licencing money (and according to them a lot more than they initially expected). TFP also had been calculating the future aka their time table with the licencing money included. Maybe they invested some of that money long-term to be used for development of game nr.2, maybe that money allowed them to increase the time frame for the development of PC 7D2D. It doesn't necessarily mean they depend on the licencing money, but it means it helps like any other income source.

You know....I wonder if perhaps some irate PC player shouldn't be posting threads berating TFP for using PC profits to buy back their console rights. I mean how dare TFP use sacred funds offered up by people who may never use a console to benefit players of those machines....

If only we knew for sure how much all the fees and and the rights themselves cost them so we could see whether that amount exceeded the total profits they earned from console so we could know for sure or not if we should be angry and indignant or not.

It's the not knowing that is the worst.

Plus, game nr.2? What if I don't buy that game and my funds I paid for this game help develop that game!?!?!!

(I'm buying game nr.2)

You know....I wonder if perhaps some irate PC player shouldn't be posting threads berating TFP for using PC profits to buy back their console rights. I mean how dare TFP use sacred funds offered up by people who may never use a console to benefit players of those machines....

If only we knew for sure how much all the fees and and the rights themselves cost them so we could see whether that amount exceeded the total profits they earned from console so we could know for sure or not if we should be angry and indignant or not.

It's the not knowing that is the worst.

Plus, game nr.2? What if I don't buy that game and my funds I paid for this game help develop that game!?!?!!

(I'm buying game nr.2)

I haven't decided on game nr.2 yet, it could be a voxel-free Skyrim clone in the worst case. TFP, please mark my $25 as 7D2D money. Up to 10% can be used as lunch money, but only if said lunch money has 4% food poisoning chance. Same chance for everyone :cocksure:

What do you mean what happened? The publishing company went bankrupt. TFP had to purchase back their rights. I said they went into the deal because they believed it would be profitable. I never said they didn't want more money. I said that Skills was wrong to assume that more money was necessary for further PC development. Who says no to more money when the opportunity comes? Of course TFP is still interested in having a presence in the console market. They have said that they hope to be able to bring an updated version to the next generation of consoles.

How? Skills is claiming that TFP went console in order to feed off console customers in order to make updates for PC customers. The statement above says nothing about going into the console market in order to better fund PC development. There is zero correlation between skills' claim that TFP went into console because they needed money from console players in order to fund their PC game.

It says that TFP needed a console publishing company and a console development studio in order to make their dreams of a console presence come true. What are the resources and expertise that Telltale Games had that TFP didn't? How about the ability to manufacture physical game discs and packaging for brick and mortar stores? How about already established distribution networks and connections with all of those stores to get the games onto the shelves? How about already established connections with Sony and Microsoft? How about already established relationships with console development studios? What resources did Iron Galaxy have that TFP didn't have? How about dev kits for Xbox and Playstation? How about experience of porting and developing for those platforms?

When TFP admits to being solely a PC development studio they are just stating what has been true since their founding about 7 years ago. They only develop for PC. They gave source code and members of the team worked with members of Iron Galaxy's team when requested.

Now....did they use even one cent of the profits from console sales to help fund PC updates? Technically, no, because they have never yet run out of money generated by the PC sales alone. But I doubt they are keeping console profits in a separate account to make sure console profits and PC profits never mix....

You said they were excited to get into the console market. You said they didnt need the money. Now that they have the rights back and could actually support console we are told they dont have the experience with console or the financial resources to support console. So what happened between this excitement for money that isnt really need and sorry we dont have the resources to support or aid console?

I can accept that it is next gen console, just need to have TFP say that. Unfortunately until PC goes gold we wont get that answer. Unless your statement about updated version on the next gen console is confirmation that the current version is dead.

As for the money they did get. It was added to the books as income. It will be spent on expenses. So I believe they spent more then one cent of that profit on expenses for the PC version.

“Now that we are the console publisher, as an operational business and out of obligation to our investors and our hard working team (who need to provide for their families too) we have to evaluate the expense and risk of porting any future versions of the game to consoles relative to the income it could generate.”

I understand the need to provide for their families. But this statement is pretty much straight forward about the reason the update will never happen.

I am with Meganoth. Put me down for the next release. Just come clean about the current version.

You said they were excited to get into the console market.

Yes. And mission accomplished. They did it.

You said they didnt need the money.....

....for continued PC game development. Please finish the sentence because it matters. Skillz was attempting to demonize TFP by speculating a parasitic relationship between them and poor unsuspecting console players.

Now that they have the rights back and could actually support console we are told they dont have the experience with console or the financial resources to support console.

Correct. But it isn’t just now that they don’t have the resources to do it. They never ever have had the resources. They have the money to develop the PC version but not the PC Version AND the console version concurrently.

So what happened between this excitement for money that isnt really need and sorry we dont have the resources to support or aid console?

What I already said. Telltale disappeared. Telltale was handling everything that TFP couldn’t do on their own. While Telltale was around TFP was able to continue to focus on what they knew how to do. Looking at TFP’s day to day work, nothing has changed for them since they always continued to work on PC the entire time except some minimal support when requested by Iron Galaxy.

How is TFP supposed to split resources to do PC and console development? In order to be fiscally responsible they would need more money to do it all. I’m not sure why you can’t see the changed circumstances from when they first received the opportunity to do this and now. I’m not sure why you can’t understand that they had enough money to do one version themselves but not enough money to do both versions themselves.

I can accept that it is next gen console, just need to have TFP say that. Unfortunately until PC goes gold we wont get that answer. Unless your statement about updated version on the next gen console is confirmation that the current version is dead.

Well, I can’t give official statements regarding this but unofficially I can tell you that the ambiguity of their statement is meant to allow them to keep their options open but the reality is almost certainly the current version is done and any further console work will be a new reboot on the next gen systems. Even then I doubt they will attempt to self publish (for the reasons I’ve already outlined) and will seek a new partner— and that creates uncertainty as well.

As for the money they did get. It was added to the books as income. It will be spent on expenses. So I believe they spent more then one cent of that profit on expenses for the PC version.

Well, of course it is all mixed together. The point is they haven’t yet run out of PC game income so the idea that we are leeching off of console players to get faster PC updates is...ya....

“Now that we are the console publisher, as an operational business and out of obligation to our investors and our hard working team (who need to provide for their families too) we have to evaluate the expense and risk of porting any future versions of the game to consoles relative to the income it could generate.”

I understand the need to provide for their families. But this statement is pretty much straight forward about the reason the update will never happen.

I am with Meganoth. Put me down for the next release. Just come clean about the current version.

You grokked their meaning. What do they need to come clean about? They can’t do both versions themselves and be financially responsible. It was only ever possible when they had a partner. Without that partner it isn’t possible once again.

I haven't decided on game nr.2 yet, it could be a voxel-free Skyrim clone in the worst case. TFP, please mark my $25 as 7D2D money. Up to 10% can be used as lunch money, but only if said lunch money has 4% food poisoning chance. Same chance for everyone :cocksure:

No good. Joel has everyone constantly chewing Flintstone vitamins in between eating protein bars. Company policy.

You said they were excited to get into the console market. You said they didnt need the money. Now that they have the rights back and could actually support console we are told they dont have the experience with console or the financial resources to support console. So what happened between this excitement for money that isnt really need and sorry we dont have the resources to support or aid console?

I probably have expressed myself ambiguously if you think I have a different opinion than Roland. I actually don't see anything important left unsaid. My previous post was just a likewise reply to Rolands joke.

Correct. But it isnآ’t just now that they donآ’t have the resources to do it. They never ever have had the resources. They have the money to develop the PC version but not the PC Version AND the console version concurrently.

Well, I canآ’t give official statements regarding this but unofficially I can tell you that the ambiguity of their statement is meant to allow them to keep their options open but the reality is almost certainly the current version is done and any further console work will be a new reboot on the next gen systems. Even then I doubt they will attempt to self publish (for the reasons Iآ’ve already outlined) and will seek a new partnerآ— and that creates uncertainty as well.

You grokked their meaning. What do they need to come clean about? They canآ’t do both versions themselves and be financially responsible. It was only ever possible when they had a partner. Without that partner it isnآ’t possible once again.

These 3 statements sum it up about what they need to come clean about. The current version of console they bought is DEAD.

If they never had the resources to do both versions concurrently they why tell us TFP might do an update after TFP get the rights back, if you clearly donآ’t have the resources to do both projects. From the TellTale update post.

Why be vague and act like you are going to support console. Kicking the can down the road until PC goes gold to finally come clean with the current version of console. From the most recent console update post.

Everything being said sounds like the current version is dead. That is my only complaint now, rather then telling us its over. We get the after PC goes gold we will find out the current version. Which I think we all agree is done.

I just seems like TFP have had a few opportunities to tell us the current version is done. They havenآ’t said it.

Based upon the facts you and Sylen provided. Why would you THINK TFP would keep the door open on an option that clearly isnt going to happen?

Archived