Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

This would be a good approach, as i share the concern about too abundant Concrete/cement Mix, starting at early Midgame.

What i did on our Server was to double the costs of Cement in the Concrete Mix, wich slowed down Progression a bit more.

That screws people over who want to build castles and large creative structures in a legit game. Its already way too grindy to make anything other than a small box fort.

That screws people over who want to build castles and large creative structures in a legit game. Its already way too grindy to make anything other than a small box fort.

If the cement mixer had tool slots like the forge there could be tools like a crusher etc.

Without the tools cement mixing would be less efficent. Not by much, maybe 20%, it shouldn't keep players from making cement at all. Together with other small changes (iron and steel tools a bit more scarce, lower quality tools being a bit worse) it would just delay Concretopia, not prevent it.

That could be balanced in many other ways.

The debate is about the material your fort is made from, not the size. You'll be building with something whether that be wood or concrete. A large part of fort building is (or was) upgrading existing blocks which is largely determined by the tool. What's the point of having all of that texture memory taken up with blocks that people will never use? Where's the progression from wooden motte and bailey to concrete fortress?

The thing that puts me off building full-on castles is the zombies spawning inside your walls unless you cover every square inch with player-placed blocks. That lovely rolling hill between the keep and the main entrance is, apparently, a plague-pit that spews up corpses on horde night. The limit on fort size is largely determined by how long it takes to safely encompass an area, in my experience, which in itself is largely determined by the bedroll spawn blocking. Setting the spawn blocking too far takes the limit past the terrain placed by the engine, you can sit in the centre of your base and never see a zombie. People build box-forts because it works, not because it's grindy.

The people who want to rush to the end of a job are the last people who should be given control of that job. Sure, it'll be done quicker but you can be damn sure the quality will suffer.

after fighting some feral wights. and i don't really understand whats so special about in terms of special zombies. mostly ability wise cuz their just strong and they run in the day. Cops can spit and suicide bomb you, Screamers summon zombies , Spiders leaps at you etc.

but im not going to complain about the poor feral without giving a solution or idea.

1: Near invulnerably: basically the only way to kill them is a Head shot but their head is harden. if you blow one up , Burn , Cut off all its arms and legs??? it will still keep coming! so you would have to aim for the head and it will slowly come apart until his brain shows then. destroy it.

2: Power up!: higher jump , ability to leap at you, more HP and basically turn him into a super zombie.

and 3: Intelligent: it smarter then most zombies. trys to find different paths, trys to dough attacks. and gives a boost to zombies, sense they see it as a "leader"

but thats just My Opinion. some people may find them hard to kill some may not.

Joel, how about updating concrete blocks in a few strokes, rather than in 1 hit, as of now? For example, 5 strokes for a hammer and 3 strokes for a nail gun?

Now, I and many other players are very annoyed when we accidentally update some blocks to steel, at a time when I was not planning. Now I have to remove the steel from my inventory in order to avoid accidental updates.

@Faatal

AI Pathing question.

Does the AI follow blocks or follow colliders to determine their path? I made a spinning bridge (5x1x5) that rotates on the center, but I'm wondering if in the "open" position when the bridge ends aren't touching ground, if the pathing still sees it as a 5x5 block it can walk on (even though there are only colliders on the center part).

Joel, how about updating concrete blocks in a few strokes, rather than in 1 hit, as of now? For example, 5 strokes for a hammer and 3 strokes for a nail gun?

Now, I and many other players are very annoyed when we accidentally update some blocks to steel, at a time when I was not planning. Now I have to remove the steel from my inventory in order to avoid accidental updates.

So you're saying you WANT to use a hammer or stone axe for upgrading concrete but for some reason you can't?

But the hammer already has the exact effect that you're looking for. All you have to do is use it.

giphy.gif

Although an undo button would be cool. Maybe if you upgrade the wrong block you have 5 seconds to click some button on the nailgun that will revert it back. solves all those issues. Food for thought. :)

But the hammer already has the exact effect that you're looking for. All you have to do is use it.

Do you suggest that I carry two tools with me, while I can only carry one? After all, both of these tools do the same thing.

Do you suggest that I use a hammer instead of a nail gun to repair concrete blocks, as a result, slow down their repair, just so as not to accidentally update the concrete block to steel? =)

Do not you think that this is erroneous mechanics, when I can accidentally spend expensive material that I planned to spend elsewhere?

In the end, it sounds like an excuse. No offense.

<snipped for space>

I'm sorry man but I've got to agree with Gazz on this, it's what I do already.

Always use the correct tool for the job, if that means carrying two tools then so be it. Otherwise my home toolbox would consist of nothing more than WD40 and some gaffa tape.

i really would like that, at least if regular zombies gets dumber again.

well what i meant by that was compared to the zombies now. (even though their kinda smart) the feral would me much smarter.

if your wall was 4 blocks tall. while the normal zombies would go to your gate or door. the Feral would just Hop over it.

if their was a bunker under your base just made of stone from the ground that you uses a A tunnel to get to places. he would brow down their.

but TBH that sounds really hard to do (i don't work with AI so i don't know, sorry Faatal lol) so if i had to change the feral i would basically make him kinda like a Necromorth from Dead space (in a way)

say the Army had a Mini gun that had HP rounds and was trying to mow down the horde. while almost all the zombies would be dead. the feral would still keep coming. even if is chest looked like Swiss cheese and his arms were gone, he would just keep going. until you start to damage his head. there head would have tiers of breaking. (normal , cracked , Exposed, No head) and his brain would be glowing a Dark Red as a Marker to shoot.

the Lore is basically that "the Feral Wight had Extremely unstable strain of the infection due to a Radiation and Age, while feral zombies have a Unstable from of the infection due to the fact that they could run in the day and night. however overtime with age and a extreme dose Radiation they will turn into a feral wight. they feel no pain on almost everywhere on the body, unless you shoot the Harden skull due to the infection going up to the brain. The infection makes the Brain ignore any pain ,so the Brain is the only weakness. even if you chopped off its legs and arms it will still be alive." Plus a "Wight" is basically in the dictionary is "a spirit, ghost, or other supernatural being."

so basically it has the power of a super natural being.

Plus it would make nearly anyone crap their paints when a 7 foot tall mutant zombie that's nearly invisible zombie is looking at you like a Snickers bar . unless you got a Tier 3 melee weapon or a Good gun or bow. Run the other way!

Side note: no i haven't been drinking

I'm sorry man but I've got to agree with Gazz on this, it's what I do already.

Always use the correct tool for the job, if that means carrying two tools then so be it. Otherwise my home toolbox would consist of nothing more than WD40 and some gaffa tape.

If this were so planned, then the nailgun would not upgrade the blocks to steel or concrete, and this could only be done with a hammer.

Now this is just an annoying problem. Just because you agreed to suffer does not mean that it is implemented correctly.

Just answer yourself one question: How can I RANDOM a concrete block upholstered with steel sheets?

I have to do it consciously, right?

If this were so planned, then the nailgun would not upgrade the blocks to steel or concrete, and this could only be done with a hammer.

Now this is just an annoying problem. Just because you agreed to suffer does not mean that it is implemented correctly.

Just answer yourself one question: How can I RANDOM a concrete block upholstered with steel sheets?

Just put the claw hammer in your toolbar and use it. It's not rocket science.

The nail gun is designed for efficient upgrading at the cost of possible mistakes due to a misguided hand, the claw hammer is a more primitive upgrading tool that lessens the chance of human error at the cost of time.

In short, mistakes happen, and a solution has already been presented to you. Nobody is forcing you to exclusively utilize the nail gun.

Just put the claw hammer in your toolbar and use it. It's not rocket science.

The nail gun is designed for efficient upgrading at the cost of possible mistakes due to a misguided hand, the claw hammer is a more primitive upgrading tool that lessens the chance of human error at the cost of time.

In short, mistakes happen, and a solution has already been presented to you. Nobody is forcing you to exclusively utilize the nail gun.

Your arguments sound funny, sorry =)

Measure twice, cut once.

You wouldn't be the first person to put a lot of effort into making a mistake. :-)

https://www.elitereaders.com/30-epic-fails-architectural-design/

Do you suggest that I carry two tools with me, while I can only carry one? After all, both of these tools do the same thing.

Do you suggest that I use a hammer instead of a nail gun to repair concrete blocks, as a result, slow down their repair, just so as not to accidentally update the concrete block to steel? =)

Yes, exactly. The whole point of the nailgun are efficient upgrades.

You want the opposite. Do not use a nailgun but instead use the existing tool that does exactly what you want.

Yes, exactly. The whole point of the nailgun are efficient upgrades.

You want the opposite. Do not use a nailgun but instead use the existing tool that does exactly what you want.

i tried to post a Mine blown gif but it didnt work sooo

:jaw:

*MIND BLOWN*

Side note: Watching this argument is like watching 2 camels try to fight each other with M16's. it makes no sense but its Funny

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived