Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Roland can you save this quote. Might not see this ever again ;)

Roland's seen quite a few of those already. He's even seen the fabled "I was mistaken".

They don't happen often... unfortunately. Can't learn anything new if you go around being right all of the time. :-)

Progression? So you can't just skip to triple layers of concrete. The highest strength blocks shouldn't just be handed to the player, they should have to "get off their arse and work for it".

They do, they find a concrete mixer or buy perks to craft it, then gather the materials. Concrete isn't that complex IRL.

Just to answer the question: you can't repair the outer layers without going out there. For me, the point of having concrete is how many hits/shots you can get in before you have to divert to repair. A three-thick wall can't be repaired before the next wave hits, there'll be corpses in the way. And you can't melee through a window that deep. Concrete makes defense *much* easier.

Of course it does but if you don't have concrete you can make several walls thick of cheaper material to get the hp you need to fend off the horde. Ideal, no but not everything should be ideal in a survival game.

Neebs said tonight "I'm glad they redid the animations because that's...that crawling guy is super creepy. When you see him....and the jumping, the jumping is a big....a big improvement" Appsro "yeah".

Thought you would like to hear that comment MM.

That is great, we're continuing to improve animations a lot.

but not everything should be ideal in a survival game.

My point exactly. I might be misreading your answer, but if I'm not, you rather seriously misread mine. A several-blocks-thick wall of weaker material isn't close to as good as the same hp worth of concrete, for at least the reasons I gave, and I *like* that. It's why I think industrial-scale concrete production should require power. I think there should be at least a month or two where there's a good answer for "why not use concrete?", namely "dude, I can spend the entire day mixing up the concrete to build one wall or I can have the whole thing built out of stone or iron this morning.".

My notion is, make handcrafting possible but slow (a sorta-realistic result might be 5s to make one, 50s for ten is about 20 minutes of game time, for a yard of concrete that's sort of in the reasonable ballpark for a magic wheelbarrow you keep in your pocket) and making the mixer require power and run at its current speed. So somebody handcrafting nothing but mix full time could handcraft the mix for 72 concrete blocks per game day, maybe that's a bit much, but they'd have to dig the sand too since they don't have the mixer to make it. Whatever.

Just to answer the question: you can't repair the outer layers without going out there. For me, the point of having concrete is how many hits/shots you can get in before you have to divert to repair. A three-thick wall can't be repaired before the next wave hits, there'll be corpses in the way. And you can't melee through a window that deep. Concrete makes defense *much* easier.

Repair three layers without going outside should be possible: Full block outer layer, half block sideways middle and inner layer

i just hope that one day that the Progress of building is at least a bit longer. cuz now its , Wood , Wood+ , Flagstone , Brick , Concert, Concert + , steel. Hell most people don't build with Wood any more.

and maybe if you upgrade say wood to Flagstone, wood is 200 and flag stone is 500. it would add up to 700 and so on. to give you a reason to upgrade blocks for more protection!

its kinda hard to explain it. originally wood was the base tier for level 1 or you could start with Flagstone but thats a bit harder. now people mostly uses flagstone. and the way people get the the best tier steel imo is way to fast!

if i could change it i would do

Wood , reinforced wood , Stone , Bricks , Reinforced Brick , Iron , reinforced iron, Forged Iron , Cement , Reinforced Cement , Steel!

and each time you upgrade a block, the HP from the block you upgraded will add on to it. 2500 Renfoced scrap metal + 3500 cement would equal 6000 HP on the block. so upgrading old blocks would be nice because your using more resources.

Repair three layers without going outside should be possible: Full block outer layer, half block sideways middle and inner layer

Yeah, I was gonna say...

Trickier to build but I've had multi layer walls that I could repair from the inside.

Well, I'll be glad to have learned that, that's nifty, if I've ever got reason to build three layers thick of reinforced concrete. Too bad desperation won't drive you to it earlier, because you have concrete by week 2.

I guess by the time I want a wall that thick melee won't be an option anyway.

I wish there was

persistent characters in 7 days.

why:

1. So I can have a character that I am persistently working on game to game for a longer term progression.

2. It would make progression feel more rewarding and permanent.

3. For people who want to move around servers but don't want to start from the very bottom each time.

4. Progression won't feel as temporary

How:

Disclaimer: I know that survival games should have temporary elements to it. This is only to give an idea of permanent rewards/progression.

1.This idea may not be practical for alpha because of big updates and changes.

2. Examples would be Borderlands and Terraria

3. Characters would be linked to the steam account.

4. Have these characters only gain long term progression in selected approved settings.

5. Custom games can have the option to choose temporary characters only.

6. Characters would only keep perks and maybe armor. (Not perks you would learn from books)

They do, they find a concrete mixer or buy perks to craft it, then gather the materials. Concrete isn't that complex IRL.

This is my point, the materials and equipment are too easy to get hold of. By the time you have the points for the perk you're already knee-deep in quick drying cement and don't particularly need it.

Flying Drones!? Did I read that right!?

Why is every developer adding such bull♥♥♥♥ (my opinion, no offense) to games I love.

Rainbow 6 Siege with their "high futuristic" crap, now we get these kind of things here as well... I hope it's just a joke.

Well at least we can mod it out of the game if it's no joke...

Int players need some love plus it will add more depth to the game. Win win in my book.

i just hope that one day that the Progress of building is at least a bit longer. cuz now its , Wood , Wood+ , Flagstone , Brick , Concert, Concert + , steel. Hell most people don't build with Wood any more.<snip>

Yeah agreed. for the longest time after A18 first dropped I kept building like I always had, start with wood and upgrade after my base is built. I read a few posts and afterwards I just skip straight to flagstone or concrete since you can basically make concrete by day 5. no reason for wood anymore.

Hey MadMole et FunPimps,

Slow it down! Seriously but not the development. I mean the in-game progress/progression.

Currently this game feels like it is more 7Days to rush. My little bro and I started a new Navezgane(?) at 18.2 and truly enjoying ourselves, however, progression is too fast. We went from tier 1 quests to tier 5 all withing two horde nights. No mods to XP gains other than nerdy glasses.

We never got to enjoy having to scavenge non-quests POIs (which we love having to "adventure") we are now only repeating the Tier 5 Hospital and two factories which are getting long in the tooth. We've barely explored the map and had to rush build an AI breaking pit to already defeat the demolition Zeds.

Here's my take - The 1st horde night should be somewhat survivable in a plain house with re-enforced wood doors/structures/wood spikes. You know, like your 7D2D vid. Later make Zeds more "super human" perhaps forcing upgraded structures but have the game ease you in and appreciate upgrades in gear/talents.

Hope this helps, keep it up! We're loving every new iterations.

Int players need some love plus it will add more depth to the game. Win win in my book.

i would be Great though if (maybe later)

intellect tree has

Melee: Stuff like a Stun baton , some power fist looking thing and a Sword that has the blade RED hot!

Robots: Stuff like The Junk turret , Sleigh and Drone

Ranged weapons: stuff like a Junk rifle , Flamethrower and Makeshift rail-gun with a Car battery that propels Iron darts and gose through zombies!

ONE DAY! (i hope)

Archived