Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

6 minutes ago, Zombiepoptard said:

please tell me you guys are going to have bandits in alpha 20?

Bandits are probably the last thing they'll add to the game since they'll need to keep into account most of the stuff in the world around them. Imagine if they added bandits and after that reworked water... they'd need to change the way they deal with water afterwards (swimming, voiding it or using it in some way) and waste a lot of time.

1 minute ago, Zombiepoptard said:

they said they would in alpha 20

True, but it was an estimate, it wasn't written on rock.

7D2D roadmap has changed a lot of times based on what they find out and need while developing the game, it's not as simple as choosing a destination and going there.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Bandits are probably the last thing they'll add to the game since they'll need to keep into account most of the stuff in the world around them. Imagine if they added bandits and after that reworked water... they'd need to change the way they deal with water afterwards (swimming, voiding it or using it in some way) and waste a lot of time.

I disagree. I don't see any serious connection between bandits and water. I'm sure they want bandits and NPcs generally in the game as early as possible to balance them against 10k players and to debug their pathfinding. Also the story depends on NPCs and bandits and therefore would have to be later than bandits.

8 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

please tell me you guys are going to have bandits in alpha 20?

Not likely, but there could be some initial bandit work done during a20 that ends up in a21, just like Robotic drone was worked on in a19, but won't be out until a20 (probably).

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

I disagree. I don't see any serious connection between bandits and water. I'm sure they want bandits and NPcs generally in the game as early as possible to balance them against 10k players and to debug their pathfinding. Also the story depends on NPCs and bandits and therefore would have to be later than bandits.

The main contention with anything in the game is people. I will probably do some bandit work, but am working on water now. Our other programmer doing AI will probably do bandit work, but is working on the Robotic Drone.

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Not likely, but there could be some initial bandit work done during a20 that ends up in a21, just like Robotic drone was worked on in a19, but won't be out until a20 (probably).

The main contention with anything in the game is people. I will probably do some bandit work, but am working on water now. Our other programmer doing AI will probably do bandit work, but is working on the Robotic Drone.

How is the drone doing ? Your sidequick doesn't drop by the forums like ever so a little info wouldn't hurt. He is close to finish the 6 months of hell for newly hired minions (applies to any job or company) , so I expect huge things from that gentleman .

On 10/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, Blake_ said:

How is the drone doing ? Your sidequick doesn't drop by the forums like ever so a little info wouldn't hurt. He is close to finish the 6 months of hell for newly hired minions (applies to any job or company) , so I expect huge things from that gentleman .

It is coming along. I assume it will get previewed eventually.

Question about the future of Electricity! Are there any plans or upcoming updates in which multiple power sources can hook up to a single powered block? Or a block that is designed to receive ALL power from connected power sources so that you can more easily stream out the power throughout your base? Or something like that? THANKS!

On 10/22/2020 at 12:30 PM, faatal said:

@Fatal   While I find any and all info that all of the developers share with us fans fantastic, the explanations that you provide with few words is unbelievable. With this quoted post alone, you can easily understand where the next couple of alphas are headed and what to possibly expect, without any spoilers, barring any unforeseen events. I can only speak for myself, your posts are extremely informative especially as the AI development is becoming a major component at this stage of the game. Thank you for the time you take for the forums on top of your work. 

10 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

@faatal How is the water going any tidbits that you are willing to share with us or are we going to have to wait for the live stream? :)

I have made a lot of data changes and code cleanup for water, but it looks exactly the same at this point, so nothing new to show currently.

I am taking a break from water and have spent the last few work days deleting old shaders (50+) and related files (old mats/images/prefabs/code) and renaming shaders into proper Game/ categories. Shaders are a big chunk of the game's build time and many of the deleted ones were being included in the build.

12 hours ago, faatal said:

I have made a lot of data changes and code cleanup for water, but it looks exactly the same at this point, so nothing new to show currently.

I am taking a break from water and have spent the last few work days deleting old shaders (50+) and related files (old mats/images/prefabs/code) and renaming shaders into proper Game/ categories. Shaders are a big chunk of the game's build time and many of the deleted ones were being included in the build.

That's quite a bit of work. What you describe sounds like the developer equivalent of doing the dishes or taking out the trash. I understand from your comment that this will help for future builds and make everything faster and easy to handle , including workshop support.

18 hours ago, faatal said:

Thanks so much for the feedback this is why I love this game so much the feedback from the dev is simply amazing!

49 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

Thanks so much for the feedback this is why I love this game so much the feedback from the dev is simply amazing!

I like the devs for that reason too, plus when im bored there's a chance they will talk.

makes me feel warm inside when they answer a question :) 

19 hours ago, faatal said:

Sounds Extra Crispy! Can't wait to see what yall got to say today :)

(for the cost of sleep) A small Price to pay for news and screen shots :D

5 minutes ago, Star69 said:

@Roland   Will we have access to to the recorded streams if we can’t watch it live and, if so, where? Thanks

They usually end up on their official YouTube channel about a day after the stream. :) The link is down below.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFunPimps

Also, feel free to check out Madmole's channel while you're at it. He rarely posts but every video is certainly worth watching. However, I'd suspect he'd want you to prioritize TFP's official channel (above).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFrUPm0uNQgiPRos3TYOpEA

• Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived