Jump to content

Alpha 19 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

On 10/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, MechanicalLens said:

Unless it's impact game performance (in which case ignore this post), I think it would be splendid if animal corpses stayed around for much longer on horde night. It's always a shame to slaughter dog after dog, vulture after vulture, only for them to disappear right before the horde ends, even if they appear during the last in-game hour of the horde.

It would be a performance issue in the current way it works. We need a corpse manager that deletes oldest/farthest corpses, in addition to the current timer.

On 10/3/2020 at 3:01 PM, Orsey said:

Some time ago, I noticed a problem with grenades and other similar items?
The problem is that after the explosion, zombies run to where the grenade was thrown from, and not to where it exploded.
Is this mistake?

Many sounds originate from the player. Hopefully that gets improved someday.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2020 at 9:21 AM, Blake_ said:

@madmole I heard that UNITY 2020.2 beta version is like 7 days to die developer's wet dream: "DeltaTime" and Multithread improvements. stabler framerate, faster compiling in the editor, C#8 code migration, faster workflow, detailed resource usage management... etc etc.

 

I mean, were you guys ticketing like crazy and breeding your own Unity driver or what ? lol.

 

I love new Unity versions, but as we are getting into a gold mindset and have been talking to Unity, we plan on using LTS releases. A20 should be on 2019.4 LTS and next year hopefully move to the 2020 LTS for A21, so would be able to get those benefits.

11 hours ago, Reset said:

Vehicles feel a bit slow to me.  Is there any chance that they will get a change in alpha 19?(except the bicycle, the speed for that is fine)

Not likely. Vehicle speed is limited by chunk loading speed. Last week I make an improvement to chunk deco spawning speed, but a lot more would have to be done to the total speed.

32 minutes ago, Bird Nerd said:

Hey @faatal, any news on a new experimental?

No. The current one may get a few tweaks and will probably go stable within a month.

 

A lot of team time is now going into A20.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

No. The current one may get a few tweaks and will probably go stable within a month.

 

A lot of team time is now going into A20.

Ah man, I wanted to at least see the new nurse before A20. Oh well, hopefully we'll start getting more screenshots of it though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

  • Like 19
  • Thanks 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

Image2.jpg.f0247d9c62f2e7c0e3e796f8149601eb.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

WATER OVERHAUL!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all i need to hear! Thxs @faatal

2 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Image2.jpg.f0247d9c62f2e7c0e3e796f8149601eb.jpg


Im stealing this from you!

 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

I thought of adding water as a property instead of a block so that change is pretty exciting. Hope it all goes well putting that together, i cant imagine that water is ever an easy mechanic to add, especially in a voxel game.

If your taking a look at meshes at the moment, any chance to make dirt mesh well with blocks? there is always that goofy dip at the end where they meet, i can guess why its done that way (less polygons for that spare side that might never be seen?) but it has always been something that irked me.

If im going to push even further with dirt block meshes, could the minimum size for a dirt block be a little bigger? sometimes they get so small you can barely see them but they still get in the way of things like block placement or pathing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

I lub U man!

 

Have wanted a water overhaul for awhile and that is amazing news! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

 

That does make me wonder how water towers and collecting water with a bucket to place in your base will work. As at this point I am more then willing to loss those for actually decent water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Danidas said:

 

That does make me wonder how water towers and collecting water with a bucket to place in your base will work. As at this point I am more then willing to loss those for actually decent water.

Well, I think that making water chunk-based won't really be a problem for water towers. It's just a tiny area. A "tiny chunk" if you will. 

Visual fidelity can be a problem........ or not, if you correctly use shaders/particles to hide the rendering slices. Honestly, it takes quite a bit of time to get it right, but in the end it pays off both in realism and performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

Mate, i love you. #nohomo tho :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

 

With Christmas being around the corner, news like this kinda reminds me of Home Alone movie and its Wet Bandits.

spacer.png

 

Well, minus "bandits"...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

It is good to hear that the water is getting a work on, even a bit, i also am looking forward to the updates for vehicles this round

Water overhaul will most likely consume the whole development time they have until the next Alpha release, I wouldn't expect any major changes besides that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I thought of adding water as a property instead of a block so that change is pretty exciting. Hope it all goes well putting that together, i cant imagine that water is ever an easy mechanic to add, especially in a voxel game.

If your taking a look at meshes at the moment, any chance to make dirt mesh well with blocks? there is always that goofy dip at the end where they meet, i can guess why its done that way (less polygons for that spare side that might never be seen?) but it has always been something that irked me.

If im going to push even further with dirt block meshes, could the minimum size for a dirt block be a little bigger? sometimes they get so small you can barely see them but they still get in the way of things like block placement or pathing.

No time for playing in the dirt for a20.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, faatal said:

No time for playing in the dirt for a20.

Shovels are getting removed. Confirmed for A20. 😛

But seriously though, will this change to watch physics affect POI's that have water in them already, like water towers and the water treatment plant POI? I assume nothing drastic, but just curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Well, I think that making water chunk-based won't really be a problem for water towers. It's just a tiny area. A "tiny chunk" if you will. 

Visual fidelity can be a problem........ or not, if you correctly use shaders/particles to hide the rendering slices. Honestly, it takes quite a bit of time to get it right, but in the end it pays off both in realism and performance.

Water is still stored in the chunks we already have. It will just not be as blocks.

5 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

Water overhaul will most likely consume the whole development time they have until the next Alpha release, I wouldn't expect any major changes besides that.

Vehicle tinting and mods have already been worked on and should be in a20. Three of the mods need code support, but it is not major work.

37 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Shovels are getting removed. Confirmed for A20. 😛

But seriously though, will this change to watch physics affect POI's that have water in them already, like water towers and the water treatment plant POI? I assume nothing drastic, but just curious.

Not sure, but currently water blocks just convert to the new water data format.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, faatal said:

Water is still stored in the chunks we already have. It will just not be as blocks.

I see. You make it sound so easy. 

 

Faatal: Ey guys, A20 update. Imma create a launch propulsion interface system for this tomato plant using only notepad and a snickers bar.

 

Forums: #like#like#like#thanks#thanks#poop#knucklerub#like

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knuckle Rub 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, faatal said:

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  ;)

Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.

 

My plan is water will not be a block, but additional chunk data, which is a pretty big change. It makes more sense, since any block could have water in it while still being whatever block it is.

Utterly fantastic!  We've been waiting for a decent overhaul since the water physics were crippled to prevent base flooding exploits, speaking of which...

 

Are you aiming for volumetric water, in the sense that I can carve a canal from a lake at the top of a hill and drain some of the water into a moat around my base?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...