Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

You should post that in the bug forum. This is the Dev Diary.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sympathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 11:17 AM, xfejiou5 said:

Do you know if this is planned for A20 or will it be in a later release?

Can any of the devs please answer this question with regards to fixing melee range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gazz said:

You should post that in the bug forum. This is the Dev Diary.

Normally I would agree and once the A20 dev diary starts obviously there will be zero tolerance for anyone posting A19 bug reports in the A20 thread. But this A19 thread is a somewhat lame duck thread and Blake and @faatal seem to have a dialogue going that faatal hasn't seen fit to discourage. Obviously we can't have everyone start flooding this thread with bug reports but so far it hasn't really happened and if it does then we will have to enforce that rule. Personally, I have enjoyed reading faatal's solutions to the issues Blake has brought up so until it becomes a problem I am inclined to let it continue until the A19 thread closes or until faatal wants it to stop.

 

I hope everyone is noticing the pattern of post removal. What stays is predominately direct questions to the developers and direct comments and reactions to what the developers say. As soon as you start commenting on other people's comments then that is a discussion that is tangential to the direct interactions with the developers. So those are what I am shifting over to discussions.

 

I am not giving infractions for it because it is natural to comment and react to what others post. I am just informing everyone that those posts will get moved out so they do not clog and overwhelm the direct questions that people are hoping the developers will answer. I mean, I am sure people are on the edge of their seat to find out what YOU think about their question but they probably also want to hear from the developer they were asking and sometimes their questions get lost in all the debate and discussion that ensues.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@madmole One of my several critiques with the crafting of steroids, and I feel this one is the most important, is that you need to have Intellect at 8/10 and Physician at 3/4 in order to craft them. Once you get a bicycle, steroids are obsolete, so any player wouldn't have any trouble acquiring some mode of transportation long before they reach this point in the Intellect tree, and even if not so, they could use those points to unlock the bicycle and the workbench and still have points left over. Considering that testosterone extract is a key crafting ingredient already - a rare and dangerous resource to collect from its host - and that steroids are, to my knowledge, only useful for so long, perhaps removing any crafting gate would be beneficial. The road is a long and situational one already - I don't see locking them behind a metaphorical steel cage serves any meaningful purpose, if people would craft them anyway. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@madmole i was curious about possible corner blocks rounded like what im using on the top of my horde base, and @MechanicalLensis curious about rounded bars, im interested in those as well, for corners to kinda look better, what do u think?  I have looked but can only find the point ones and they don't look good at all on it.

20200926215416_1.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because I'm an idiot and posted in wrong thread.  This a suggestion of mine.

 

Not sure if this has been suggested or not, but I think it would be a good idea to add a separate 'blood moon range' option that let's blood moons occur 1-3 days before OR after the 7th day instead of only 1-4 days after. 

 

This way, you are still keeping the '7 days to die' concept intact while also giving players the option to add more randomness to the game, if they so choose.

 

Give the player a choice of setting it to 1, 2, or 3 days. (No more than that because then weeks would overlap.)

 

So for example; 

  1. Setting it to 1 day means a blood moon can happen at any time between day 6 - day 8. The next BM, day 13-15 and so on....
  2. Setting it to 2 days means a blood moon can happen at any time between day 5 - day 9. The next BM, day 12-16.
  3. Setting it to 3 days means a blood moon can happen at any time between day 4 - day 10. The next BM, day 11-17.

3 days also means there's a chance you could have 2 blood moons in a row at any given time. 

 

 

This would be a great option to include. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

@madmole i was curious about possible corner blocks rounded like what im using on the top of my horde base, and @MechanicalLensis curious about rounded bars, im interested in those as well, for corners to kinda look better, what do u think?  I have looked but can only find the point ones and they don't look good at all on it.

 

@madmole Phoenixshade35 slightly twisted my words which is fine, I was asking for corner wooden and iron bars, not rounded. :) It's been something I've been wanting since A17, but hey, if they're not added, it's not something I'll lose my sleep over.

 

Edit: I'm too exhausted to provide the image at the time of me posting this, however we already have corner railings in the game. Now translate that shape over to bars. :)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would it be possible to get static books as a block? like at the hospital prefab, find patients notes that we could read.not in a container, but actually lying around. we could then have police reports at the station, military notes about the outbreak, newspapers to help with the narrative? similar to the signs that we can edit, but a smaller block that when clicked on gave a screen the size of a quest accept that we can scroll through or turn the pages on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since today's theme is added blocks...

 

I wouldn't mind the ability to craft the noise making trash piles / broken glass we find in POI's as a poor man's 'alarm' for early game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@faatal / @madmole

Hi! Just wanted to ask you devs if you've started working on the bandits' AI or anything related.

 

There's still confusion in the 7D2D community as to what the current A19 zombie AI is:

1) A prototype for the bandits AI that after bandits are implemented will be dialed back to "dumb" zombies

-OR-

2) The intended AI for zombies and the bandits AI will have its own way of doing things.

Thanks!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a current exploit that's been around since A18 (possibly earlier) where if you put a mod into a piece of gear like armor, a tool, or a weapon, it increases the sell price of said piece of gear for more than the original sell price of the piece of gear and the mod combined, and by a pretty hefty amount at that. Will this be patched out in A19 or A20+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

@faatal / @madmole

Hi! Just wanted to ask you devs if you've started working on the bandits' AI or anything related.

 

There's still confusion in the 7D2D community as to what the current A19 zombie AI is:

1) A prototype for the bandits AI that after bandits are implemented will be dialed back to "dumb" zombies

-OR-

2) The intended AI for zombies and the bandits AI will have its own way of doing things.

Thanks!

No specific work yet.

Probably both. Special infected will likely cover a range of behaviors allowing common zombies as the more stupid ones, but the whole range can't really be balanced across the entire game until there is an entire range to balance.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 6:58 AM, HeLLKnight said:

Thank you very much Faatal, now that you're working optimizing terrain shader please take a look at this thread, there is a massive 40% fps drop from low to med terrain quality setting:

 

 

 

That post is basically backwards. There is a huge increase going to low, which is the point of low, to disable terrain visual features so it runs faster. The difference is bigger on lower end hardware that has trouble with those features. The recent changes to the terrain shaders make those features run faster, so what they want is already done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, faatal said:

No specific work yet.

Probably both. Special infected will likely cover a range of behaviors allowing common zombies as the more stupid ones, but the whole range can't really be balanced across the entire game until there is an entire range to balance.

Thanks for the reply, I can see how this approach could be optimal (also to save precious dev time!) but what I'm worried about is that most players will see that as an inconsistency in zombie behavior rather than a plus (like I do).

 

I've already read on Steam people complaining about the current (A19) AI because they expect zombies to ALL behave the same way... so when they see 3/4 of them out of 20 going their way doing different things (e.g.: rage mode) they'll just rant about not being able to reliably build a blood moon base because they can't predict where the zombies will go.

 

As always in life (and game development) it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Now that the AI is (IMO) better and more varied people start complaining exactly about that (facepalm).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, faatal said:

Sooner than you might guess.

 ok, so let me guess - is 19.2b3 ready for release today/ tonight? 😁

  • Haha 1
  • Knuckle Rub 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@madmole Forgive me if this has already be brought up and answered, but are the wood 1/4th corner blocks and others in the wood frame shape menu that aren't upgradeable going to be able to be upgraded?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, faatal said:

That post is basically backwards. There is a huge increase going to low, which is the point of low, to disable terrain visual features so it runs faster. The difference is bigger on lower end hardware that has trouble with those features. The recent changes to the terrain shaders make those features run faster, so what they want is already done.

 

Yes I get your point but I needed to use low with a high-end PC to get 1440p on high.

 

Just did a quick test to 19.2 b3 and I can notice a very noticeable performance improvement with terrain quality on high compared with 19.1, huge kudos to TFP!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Faatal,

 

Quick question: Does Alpha 19 currently support 32:9 aspect ratio monitors (5120 x 1440 res.)?

I'm looking at the new Samsung G9 with the 1000R screen curvature; looks amazing!

Madmole once told me that some of the devs use large screens, so maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Space4Ace said:

Hi Faatal,

 

Quick question: Does Alpha 19 currently support 32:9 aspect ratio monitors (5120 x 1440 res.)?

I'm looking at the new Samsung G9 with the 1000R screen curvature; looks amazing!

Madmole once told me that some of the devs use large screens, so maybe?

I can't say for sure for that aspect ratio, i have a 21:9 3840x1600 and 7dtd seems to work quite well with it. The only 2 nit picks i have really is 1. the loading screen images get stretched, it's not too bad in 21:9 but it would be worse in 32:9 i'd imagine, but not a big issue. 2. some ui elements are sometimes not positioned conveniently for ultra wide users. Things like the buff pop outs and active quests are right in the far corners and can strain your eyes a bit stretching to look over there. But those are very minor issues and as a whole it works quite well on ultra wides, so i'd say go for it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hiemfire said:

@madmole Forgive me if this has already be brought up and answered, but are the wood 1/4th corner blocks and others in the wood frame shape menu that aren't upgradeable going to be able to be upgraded?

Once the new framework is done (if we do it) then all shapes will be unified in menus and all will upgrade, except for certain blocks we might not want in steel like iron bars, etc.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, madmole said:

Once the new framework is done (if we do it) then all shapes will be unified in menus and all will upgrade, except for certain blocks we might not want in steel like iron bars, etc.

why not iron bars? kidding aside, I will be glad to see trussing get more shapes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I just want to say thanks to @faatal for the terrain shader improvements in 19.2 (and all the other optimizations) 🍺

 

Did a quick test only - but looks like I'm now able to play with Texture Filter on Ultra+ @60fps in Snow biome - wow, thanks 😃

 

--
this was worth the Knuckle Rub ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...