Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, Space4Ace said:

Hi Faatal,

Quick question: Does Alpha 19 currently support 32:9 aspect ratio monitors (5120 x 1440 res.)?

I'm looking at the new Samsung G9 with the 1000R screen curvature; looks amazing!

Madmole once told me that some of the devs use large screens, so maybe?

I can't say for sure for that aspect ratio, i have a 21:9 3840x1600 and 7dtd seems to work quite well with it. The only 2 nit picks i have really is 1. the loading screen images get stretched, it's not too bad in 21:9 but it would be worse in 32:9 i'd imagine, but not a big issue. 2. some ui elements are sometimes not positioned conveniently for ultra wide users. Things like the buff pop outs and active quests are right in the far corners and can strain your eyes a bit stretching to look over there. But those are very minor issues and as a whole it works quite well on ultra wides, so i'd say go for it.

12 hours ago, hiemfire said:

@madmole Forgive me if this has already be brought up and answered, but are the wood 1/4th corner blocks and others in the wood frame shape menu that aren't upgradeable going to be able to be upgraded?

Once the new framework is done (if we do it) then all shapes will be unified in menus and all will upgrade, except for certain blocks we might not want in steel like iron bars, etc.

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

Once the new framework is done (if we do it) then all shapes will be unified in menus and all will upgrade, except for certain blocks we might not want in steel like iron bars, etc.

why not iron bars? kidding aside, I will be glad to see trussing get more shapes

I just want to say thanks to @faatal for the terrain shader improvements in 19.2 (and all the other optimizations) 🍺

Did a quick test only - but looks like I'm now able to play with Texture Filter on Ultra+ @60fps in Snow biome - wow, thanks 😃

--
this was worth the Knuckle Rub ;)

@madmole I thought one of the traders was supposed to specialize in food and seeds, but i have never seen seeds offered for purchase at any trader, either in my own game or any of the youtubers/streamers i watch. 

Is this an oversight, or are they just exceptionally rare?

Sort of on the same subject, any chance of adding 3 or so of random veggie seeds or farm plots to t1-2 quest rewards?

4 hours ago, Naz said:

I can't say for sure for that aspect ratio, i have a 21:9 3840x1600 and 7dtd seems to work quite well with it. The only 2 nit picks i have really is 1. the loading screen images get stretched, it's not too bad in 21:9 but it would be worse in 32:9 i'd imagine, but not a big issue. 2. some ui elements are sometimes not positioned conveniently for ultra wide users. Things like the buff pop outs and active quests are right in the far corners and can strain your eyes a bit stretching to look over there. But those are very minor issues and as a whole it works quite well on ultra wides, so i'd say go for it.

It is not something I've tried and I don't know of anyone on the team that has one. I use a 32 inch 4k 16:9 monitor for my main.

Running in windowed mode would allow us to test any aspect ratio.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:55 PM, faatal said:

Do you know that this is a team with many different skill sets, like pretty much every game team? Most people on the team can't fix FPS issues, so they do spent their time working on their "stupid" stuff.

FPS issues don't have an "I Win" button you can press to make it all better. It takes lots of time to analyze performance and find bottlenecks, which then often have no easy fix, but to rewrite and retest something, which often results in minimal gains. Features have maximum limits at which they can be optimized to run.

I've actually been spending half my time the last few weeks doing that and cleaning up the project of old/unused files. For example, I found an old unneeded water depth camera, that was rendering nothing each frame. After time spend researching it, removing and testing, I saw a 3% FPS gain. Not much. Path grid updates have also been optimized, which is not something increasing overall FPS, but reduces frame spikes. Terrain shader has been updated for good gains. Tree batching/instancing is being analyzed and tweaked. To get large gains, you have to do that over and over on many systems. Today I started moving many of those improvements to 19.2 for testing, so the next exp will have them.

I  look at what they update every time  they  do one & none ever make sense  & from what I see it don't fix game play issues that  I notice. then I have  a friend who plays on a laptop & she's always complaining about fps issues even after changing settings & she still has issues. one of my issues is when mining the world glitches  & u can't see where  I'm mining that spot till I clear it.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

It is not something I've tried and I don't know of anyone on the team that has one. I use a 32 inch 4k 16:9 monitor for my main.

Running in windowed mode would allow us to test any aspect ratio.

Looks like this

Spoiler

loading_aspect_ratio.thumb.jpg.b1ccd5c1333989344c8a348cc6c7052d.jpg

3 hours ago, katarynna said:

@madmole I thought one of the traders was supposed to specialize in food and seeds, but i have never seen seeds offered for purchase at any trader, either in my own game or any of the youtubers/streamers i watch. 

Is this an oversight, or are they just exceptionally rare?

Sort of on the same subject, any chance of adding 3 or so of random veggie seeds or farm plots to t1-2 quest rewards?

It is a bug I noticed and tried fixing, but it's an engine bug. I reported it to Prime so once he gets that fixed Traders Rekt will be selling seeds.

21 hours ago, Yoshino said:

Hi Fun Pimps,

Could you tell me, please?
Do you plan to expand the color palette?
Please add many different paints. 
Builders ask for a lot of paint :)

Not without some serious framework changes or addition of tinting.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:26 PM, madmole said:

It is a bug I noticed and tried fixing, but it's an engine bug. I reported it to Prime so once he gets that fixed Traders Rekt will be selling seeds.

So trader Rekt will be the farm guy? Who would have guessed? I don't know why, but I always thought this grumpy old man will be selling some mechanical parts for vehicles and such lol

48 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

So trader Rekt will be the farm guy? Who would have guessed? I don't know why, but I always thought this grumpy old man will be selling some mechanical parts for vehicles and such lol

From the first post of this thread, may have been added during one of Roland's edits of the post (underlined pertinent):

Traders

• All traders still sell everything, but now each one specializes in something. Joel sells armor, Jen sells meds, Bob sells vehicles and tools, Hugh sells weapons and ammo, and Rekt will sell food and seeds.
  • After graduating to the next quest tier traders offer a special quest that will take you to the next trader.
  • Traders have head tracking so they look at the player.

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Not without some serious framework changes or addition of tinting.

That's not a no nor a yes. I like the new "no promises" policy. Any news on a20 features ? All that's been shown is a breakable door with no texture and poor ol' Arlene falling and getting shot at . 

16 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That's not a no nor a yes. I like the new "no promises" policy. Any news on a20 features ? All that's been shown is a breakable door with no texture and poor ol' Arlene falling and getting shot at . 

and absent news on a20, being silent is new too...  shhhh listen... hear that..... :)

@madmole

The vehicles feel too overpowered and safe. been watching youtubers exploiting the almost instant get in/out of the car to put distance between them and danger(or abusing the stun mechanic to run something over, get out shoot it and repeat) such as running zombies and wildlife. I hope you'll nerf this and maybe make it more immersive so to speak, like a real animation to get in your vehicle that takes a bit of time and maybe while in the animation if you get hit the animation stops(imagining like the wildlife/zombies catching up to you and dragging you out).

1 hour ago, Snekser said:

@madmole

The vehicles feel too overpowered and safe. been watching youtubers exploiting the almost instant get in/out of the car to put distance between them and danger(or abusing the stun mechanic to run something over, get out shoot it and repeat) such as running zombies and wildlife. I hope you'll nerf this and maybe make it more immersive so to speak, like a real animation to get in your vehicle that takes a bit of time and maybe while in the animation if you get hit the animation stops(imagining like the wildlife/zombies catching up to you and dragging you out).

and vultures flying to outpace a car and cops puking acid is immersive? dont animals get stunned when hit by a car? the only reason we get out is to shoot cause we cant while in the vehicle. in an apocalypse, wouldnt we hit them, stun them, then shoot out the window? no getting out needed?

10 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Honestly is there a reason those two are separate items? may as well merge them imo.

Agreed. Moldy Bread just feels like a filler crafting recipe. It should take 10-20 old sham sandwiches to craft an antibiotic (depending on the workstation you're using) and just ditch moldy bread altogether. Thoughts @madmole?

Ran some more benchmarks for a19.2 in general support. I'll just post the tldr tables instead of cluttering the dev diary 😛

Ultra Settings

Spoiler

Gain From Update Stock Gain From Update OC
FPS (avg) ▲7.15% ▲9.69%
Min ▼1.60% ▲1.70%
Max ▲7.63% ▲8.12%
1% Lows ▼0.51% ▲2.56%
0.1% Lows ▼5.56% ▼6.00%

Lower Settings

Spoiler

Gain From Update Stock Gain From Update OC
FPS (avg) ▲5.40% ▲5.76%
Min ▲3.64% ▲3.43%
Max ▲3.45% ▲3.57%
1% Lows ▲1.49% ▲2.01%
0.1% Lows ▼4.64% ▼6.87%

Unless it's impact game performance (in which case ignore this post), I think it would be splendid if animal corpses stayed around for much longer on horde night. It's always a shame to slaughter dog after dog, vulture after vulture, only for them to disappear right before the horde ends, even if they appear during the last in-game hour of the horde.

• Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived