Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

5 hours ago, hiemfire said:

If you're referring to to where I think you are, yep.

Good thing I put off living in it for 2 alphas and then finally did back in A19 EXP. 😛

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Why does any of it matter when anything can be fully repaired and all gear last forever? If your stuff had a finite number of repairs available then mods, perks, and books that increased durability and reduced degradation would actually be meaningful. As it is, who cares what the difference is or how many extra hits it gives you. Once you have a stack of repair kits you just know that durability is essentially infinite.

Fair point.

18 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Gravity does not exist in the first dimension

Actually, no.. that cannot explain it, but I think it might have something to do with it only having one vertex and yet we can see it.

15 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

you didnt show all angles but might be the invisible part of the voxel is glued to ceiling/roof if it is 1 meter away. just a guess.

I could do a 360 around the torch, only thing in the area was what was beneath it. Maybe like you say, the destroyed block object left a invisible hook that was calculated as still a block or something. But I'am guessing as not the programmer... :) 

Either way for a game with physics and has an enforced form of gravity its jarring when things stick in the air.

I also notice POI's when destroyed odd blocks stay a float as well....

Anyone else having problems completing Tier 5 Quests? Keep getting disconnected and thought at first from the way the lag gradually increased while clearing the building that maybe it was a memory leak but then I noticed that I lost internet connection entirely the last time it happened so now I'm not so sure that it's the case. Not having any problems with connectivity issues at any other point during playing the game except during Tier 5 Quests though. 

I've been playing A19 a decent bit, and I've had a few different starts on different random maps.  While I think the new loot progression system is working really well, I've noticed a few wonky aspects to it.  The weapons and armor scale pretty well, however I've noticed that mods and schematics aren't scaling the same way weapons and armor are. 

on two separate occasions on different maps, I've gotten triple pocket mods on either day one or two, definitely gamestage 5 or lower.  I'm finding triples before singles or doubles?  Doing tier 1 quests I got single pocket mod rewards which makes sense.  I feel like having some of these mods which do have upgrades, like the pocket mods, being spaced out at higher gamestages like weapons would flow better with the overall idea of the progression system you're going for.   (Finding single pockets earlier on, then doubles and triples later) 

Blueprints are working in a similar way too I think; I distinctly remember on my current file I opened a car parts crate on day 2, at gamestage 2 and got both iron and steel tool schematics from the same crate!  I could understand iron tools in the early game, but steel tools?  it allows me to skip the entire progression system and get a good pickaxe really early on, way before my gamestage is high enough to craft them. 

I don't know if these kinds of drops are intended or not, but I think having certain high-tier recipes/mods not drop until higher gamestages would make for a fun challenge.  Overall though, the progression system is a lot of fun, and makes finding those first few guns really rewarding.  It also makes me want to buy things from merchants/machines which I usually ignored in A18! 

I don't see how people do tier 5 quests playing anything less than 90 min days. 

I just did the shamway factory in the wasteland (Navezgane) and I barely finished the mission at 2130, started at 0330. 

Now I do try to sneak attack when possible & loot everything. I'm a bit of a pack rat too, I HATE leaving stuff behind. 

I also did the shotgun messiah factory a few days ago & this one took me into the night, I think 0030 or so is when I finished it, starting around 0600 or so.

I now have the hospital to do....saving an entire day for that as well.

Maybe I just need to speed my azz up, I don't know....

45 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I don't see how people do tier 5 quests playing anything less than 90 min days. 

I just did the shamway factory in the wasteland (Navezgane) and I barely finished the mission at 2130, started at 0330. 

Now I do try to sneak attack when possible & loot everything. I'm a bit of a pack rat too, I HATE leaving stuff behind. 

I also did the shotgun messiah factory a few days ago & this one took me into the night, I think 0030 or so is when I finished it, starting around 0600 or so.

I now have the hospital to do....saving an entire day for that as well.

I do t5's on 60 minute days. I just clear through the night... stealth ftw!.  I also place a chest in the front to empty my pockets into.

edit: my partner in coop does 1 - 2 t5's on a 60 minute days. then again he goes in loud and proud, barely loots. a few shotgun blasts to wake everything up, then he pulls out his yellow m60 and mows them down with 7.62 hp rounds.. I then follow behind later, or my wife does, and harvest the building if it is worth it.

4 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

I do t5's on 60 minute days. I just clear through the night... stealth ftw!.  I also place a chest in the front to empty my pockets into.

edit: my partner in coop does 1 - 2 t5's on a 60 minute days. then again he goes in loud and proud, barely loots. a few shotgun blasts to wake everything up, then he pulls out his yellow m60 and mows them down with 7.62 hp rounds.. I then follow behind later, or my wife does, and harvest the building if it is worth it.

This is what I call a really good teamwork, always loved to play that way when not in SP ! 

Indeed guys, 60 min a day might be less than we expect sometimes, imagine if it was real life, we can`t switch to another mode, so we adapt and kick ass.

But the fun&tension of being encumbered as hell, from a good looting, while meeting the first hours of the night, on the road to your base is another level of survival we must be very good at, not try to avoid or being afraid of. 🤠

5 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Worry not, you keep pretty good for that timeline, that`s the point of this kind of buildings, must be a challenge. 

And yet, we haven`t seen for example bandits and who knows what Pimps have for us to make it less monotonous, as some people think it is :)

26 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Worry not, you keep pretty good for that timeline, that`s the point of this kind of buildings, must be a challenge. 

And yet, we haven`t seen for example bandits and who knows what Pimps have for us to make it less monotonous, as some people think it is :)

That is a fact. I'm anxious to see what they come up with. 

It's funny, that shamway factory I was talking about, I was finally to the top, could see 3 radiated z's before I got up there (of course there was more). I accidentally woke then up, turned around & one of them was pounding on my face.

Scared the bejesus out of me, I backed up & fell like 2 stories down. I just waited till they made it down to me. It was intense!!

The tier 5's definitely are challenging.

9 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

Hello, is there a timeline for when we can expect the "A20 Dev Diary" thread? :)

Thanks!

A roadmap would be much, much appreciated! a lot of early access games are doing it like Subnautica Below Zero, Green Hell, Rust, Risk of Rain 2, Grounded, Chernobylite and many more... no need to be much detailed or exact dates of course. I love this game but don't have time to read hundred of messages here from Madmole, Faatal etc and I want to know whats going on. This also could good for sales like having steam page updated and keeps people engaged over time.

Please no Roadmap. Please dont.
The Dev-Team needs freedom to reshedule and for every Alpha there are features pushed back for often good reason. But even per Alpha-Roadmaps receive strong critics from "fans" if they are not kept in time, can you imagine the @%$#storm if they would try to establish a complete roadmap for the whole development Time?

That puts a lot of stress on the team and the ressources and nerves are better put into actual work.

I think as for every Alpha so far there will be a feature overview on the first page that gets updated as devs respond.

But i also like what madmole announced: They want to keep more details secret and reveal them in dev-streams.

16 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

The apartment complex tier-5(?) is no fun in a clear all.  Just Ugh.

But that's me, and I now avoid it like the plague.

Tier-4's are generally my favorite, with their "Goldilocks zone" of good loot, nice challenge and time spent.

I agree. Tier 5 could be good, but needs way more rewards or other benefits. 

I just try to be careful what I write. Someone on here was complaining in A18 that he got good quality tools too early - the result being the current stone mess. I am afraid labeling tier 5 as CURRENTLY not reasonable just leads to something like taking them out or at least not adding any new T5, and good T5 would be something very interesting, as the current selection is  way too narrow ;)

16 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I see this topic is staling... there's no more news or discussions with the devs.

There's just the chit chat between the same people over matters of no importance.

Guess it's time to open the new A20 Dev Diary maybe...

Why? So there can be no news or discussions with the devs in a different thread? They'll open it when there's news to share.

They need to add at least a few more T5's. And figure out a way to make them have more value. Maybe when legendary items are added T5's could have a higher chance of having one or something?

Also, when the biome balancing is done and the wasteland if real dangerous, smaller POIs there could be considered T5 just due to the location.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived