Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, Reckis said:

Thats because they changed how the structural brace works. Used to give a durability bonus, now it reduces degradation by 25%. Just looked it up.

So... what's the difference?

Edit: I normally don't ask for numbers but... does this mean that we simply add 25% on top of the tool's integrity? If so, the need for the change was...?

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Edit: I normally don't ask for numbers but... does this mean that we simply add 25% on top of the tool's integrity? If so, the need for the change was...?

I would think that it means that the amount of degradation per swing is reduced by 25%. So, say you hit a boulder with your stone axe and it degrades by 4 durability without the brace, with the brace it would only degrade by 3 durability.

I would think that it means that the amount of degradation per swing is reduced by 25%. So, say you hit a boulder with your stone axe and it degrades by 5 durability without the brace, with the brace it would only degrade by 4 durability.

Doesn't durability now accurately represent the item's integrity? (ex. 300 = 300 swings until broken.) So that... wouldn't make much sense.

Very confusing, but I want to hope the mod is still worth it.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Doesn't durability now accurately represent the item's integrity? (ex. 300 = 300 swings until broken.) So that... wouldn't make much sense.

Very confusing, but I want to hope the mod is still worth it.

It would amount to the same thing, just because you cant see the decimals doesn't mean they don't exist. Unfortunately, without a deeper understanding of the code or XML (whichever applies in this case), the only way to be certain would be to count the swings you get with and without the brace.

2 minutes ago, Reckis said:

It would amount to the same thing, just because you cant see the decimals doesn't mean they don't exist. Unfortunately, without a deeper understanding of the code or XML (whichever applies in this case), the only way to be certain would be to count the swings you get with and without the brace.

Alright, good to know. It's probably best that TFP didn't say anything in the first place since it would undoubtedly cause some rage within some members of the community. I personally don't mind, it caught me off guard is all.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Alright, good to know. It's probably best that TFP didn't say anything in the first place since it would undoubtedly cause some rage within some members of the community. I personally don't mind, it caught me off guard is all.

Unwarranted rage, I would have to say. It would actually work out to give you more at the high end (Q6) than a flat durability bump.

Unwarranted rage, I would have to say. It would actually work out to give you more at the high end (Q6) than a flat durability bump.

Honestly, if I were in front of some members of TFP right now, I would give them the following advice (not picking on them, just a helpful gesture): leave people in the dark. If they hypothetically nerfed shotgun damage by a further 10% damage, instead of informing the community and leading to doomsday claims, or holding back the numbers and releasing a flat statement ("we nerfed shotgun damage") and thus cause more unwarranted speculation and rage, they should just... not say anything. If people notice it, they shouldn't acknowledge it. One thing I've learned in life is if you make any kind of change that might stir up some unwarranted controversy, just make the change in the dark and walk away whistling casually. Just food for thought. :) Again, not complaining about this change - in fact, I'm going to walk away from it and assume it's exactly the same as before, even if it isn't.

Anywho, back to conventional A19 talk.

Now, for another topic. I went upstairs and pulled up the wood frames (intending to install a ladder system) right in the brink of time, seriously!

7_Days_To_Die_2020-09-04_10_37_36_AM.thumb.png.23586ada82782f365a174eaca8374226.png

17 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

20200904222358-1.jpg

any reason why some things like this torch remain in the air even if there vertex touch nothing... ?

Gravity does not exist in the first dimension

Actually, no.. that cannot explain it, but I think it might have something to do with it only having one vertex and yet we can see it.

Reading over recent forum talk why all this debate about stealth being underpowered? Should we really be able to stealth everything? Stealth is a roleplay choice, 7DTD is a roleplaying game. There's not much roleplay in a min/max style. I may choose to be a Dirty Harry toting revolvers in a suit with cigar in mouth if I want. That's my roleplay choice. This game gives us these choices. I don't care if my revolvers are inferior because I'm having fun kicking the apocalypse in the ass as Dirty Harry. Does dirty harry need to min/max? No, because he's badass. Badass players don't need to min/max. Do people who min/max really think the game is so hard they need to push every stat to it's limit? Geez, have some fun. Play it the way you like, use what you find fun, wear what you think looks cool and and learn to succeed at it.  When you die and die you will, leave a tombstone that reads "Dirty Harry survived 80 days with revolvers at his side and cigar in mouth, R.I.P dirty Harry."

Meanwhile many days later Min/maxer walks past DIrty Harry's tombstone, reads it and think to himself, who am I?

Dirty Harry echoes from the grave:  "You're just numbers punk, still alive but still just numbers, be someone kid, be someone. You're gonna die one day, but who are you gonna be, do you even have a name?" 

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Honestly, if I were in front of some members of TFP right now, I would give them the following advice (not picking on them, just a helpful gesture): leave people in the dark. If they hypothetically nerfed shotgun damage by a further 10% damage, instead of informing the community and leading to doomsday claims, or holding back the numbers and releasing a flat statement ("we nerfed shotgun damage") and thus cause more unwarranted speculation and rage, they should just... not say anything. If people notice it, they shouldn't acknowledge it. One thing I've learned in life is if you make any kind of change that might stir up some unwarranted controversy, just make the change in the dark and walk away whistling casually. Just food for thought. :) Again, not complaining about this change - in fact, I'm going to walk away from it and assume it's exactly the same as before, even if it isn't.

Unfortunately that rarely works for long as this is exactly the type of red meat that data miners go crazy for. As they love nothing more then exposing hidden nerfs and changes. Which then infuriates the community with the belief that the devs are hiding things and lying to them. Which is made worse the more people notice the change before the data miners reveal it.

1 minute ago, Danidas said:

Unfortunately that rarely works for long as this is exactly the type of red meat that data miners go crazy for. As they love nothing more then exposing hidden nerfs and changes. Which then infuriates the community with the belief that the devs are hiding things and lying to them. Which is made worse the more people notice the change before the data miners reveal it.

So in other words, there is no reason answer to this, only what the devs feel is the best course for them to follow. Escaping criticism is a waste of time and you need critique to thrive, but much of it can be avoided since it'd be a waste of your/our/their/etc. time anyway.

Edit reason: spelling error

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I think it would be kind of cool (also a pain in the azz) if weapons would actually break, like physically destroyed, when the durability meter reaches zero. 

Would make us watch more closely & definitely make for some "oh sh*t moments!!

3 hours ago, WarWren said:

Reading over recent forum talk why all this debate about stealth being underpowered? Should we really be able to stealth everything? Stealth is a roleplay choice, 7DTD is a roleplaying game. There's not much roleplay in a min/max style. I may choose to be a Dirty Harry toting revolvers in a suit with cigar in mouth if I want. That's my roleplay choice. This game gives us these choices. I don't care if my revolvers are inferior because I'm having fun kicking the apocalypse in the ass as Dirty Harry. Does dirty harry need to min/max? No, because he's badass. Badass players don't need to min/max. Do people who min/max really think the game is so hard they need to push every stat to it's limit? Geez, have some fun. Play it the way you like, use what you find fun, wear what you think looks cool and and learn to succeed at it.  When you die and die you will, leave a tombstone that reads "Dirty Harry survived 80 days with revolvers at his side and cigar in mouth, R.I.P dirty Harry."

Meanwhile many days later Min/maxer walks past DIrty Harry's tombstone, reads it and think to himself, who am I?

Dirty Harry echoes from the grave:  "You're just numbers punk, still alive but still just numbers, be someone kid, be someone. You're gonna die one day, but who are you gonna be, do you even have a name?" 

It does not really have anything to do with stealth being underpowered. 

Depending on the POI and how you do it, stealth is probably overpowered. 

It is more about "from the shadows" being irrelevant to playing stealth.  Sleepers and scripted aggro do not care about your from the shadows skill and you can do the same thing with a loud shotgun, which is probably more of a problem with stealth mechanics in general.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Why does any of it matter when anything can be fully repaired and all gear last forever? If your stuff had a finite number of repairs available then mods, perks, and books that increased durability and reduced degradation would actually be meaningful. As it is, who cares what the difference is or how many extra hits it gives you. Once you have a stack of repair kits you just know that durability is essentially infinite.

4 hours ago, WarWren said:

I like your style....lol

I will create a legendary item for you to roleplay with one day.  😅

Harry Callahan's Magnum (50% faster RPM & 50% more durability)

4 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

She died in a funny way, she can't stop staring at me and my shiny knife

20200901192730_1.jpg

I will say, the knife is my favorite melee weapon because it has the most awesome power attack animation.  It feels so rewarding  stab > stab > overhead stab....

Archived