Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

4 hours ago, Eko said:

*snip*

Hey Eko, thanks for the detailed response.  My bad if I was dismissive of your concern.  I enjoy the mechanics in building prefabs and everything that comes along with it (e.g. sleepers) so it is difficult to hear when somebody makes complaints about it.

Also many of us go into "this is how you fix the problem"  mode when we hear something that isn't an issue for us.

Hopefully the devs can add more value to stealth related perks and/or improve sleeper mechanics in relation to them to improve your experience...

Did someone say Zombie mosquitoes was a thing for A20?

I may have heard they're very late game and they attack in the evening (1800-2100) carrying the zombie virus just for you... every day!

So you say you got enough medicine?  We will see, as your only defense is to set yourself on fire or stay underwater all evening!

😎

58 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I may have heard they're very late game and they attack in the evening (1800-2100) carrying the zombie virus just for you... every day!

So you say you got enough medicine?  We will see, as your only defense is to set yourself on fire or stay underwater all evening!

😎

Well, there's already plenty of flies now buzzing around dumpsters and body bags... Maybe those are zombie flies? ;)

58 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

😎

23 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Hi @faatal, remember what I said about NVIDIA discrete GPUs performing VRAM calculations twice as fast? Well, NOT exactly for the RTX3070 because it's only because of the GDDR6X memory and that card uses the previous generation slower one (GDDR6, still fast as ballz though, used by the 2080ti). Amd is on par in that regard too with HBM2e ( only in that regard, sadly).

Now, about using WAY less VRAM ( up to half less) , that one is true for RTX GPUs and  every single title that uses temporal antialiasing (TAA) by just selecting the DLSS 2.0 instead of TAA (I'm guessing that you just mark a square in the control panel and select the resolution intended and desired - ( near perfect 4k from 800×600 base resolution for example). 

That means exactly what it seems. By December 2022 7dtd can effectibly double the texture amount and any player with a RTX card ( GPUs from 2018 ) or higher will have theoretically no performance problems (  barring the issues within the game environment).

Edit: "texture amount" means Atlas size in this case I believe.

Imma go off now to get paid for sneaky advertising.

DLSS would be interesting to try. We are planning a Unity update soon, but Unity does not support it yet.

Love a new video card! I am hoping to get a 3070 or 3080 by end of year. Possibly AMD has cool new tech coming soon.

23 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Side note: When did one party member aggroing a zombie start flagging the entire party as engaged? Been trying some bait and ambush tactics in collaboration with my wife but I haven't been getting sneak attack bonus damage despite not being the one that aggroed and still being stealthed. Is it just a 2 phase toggle and once flipped to "alert" sneak attacks on that target are shut off?

Yes, an alert zombie by any source can not be sneak attacked.

10 minutes ago, danielspoa said:

guys, has it been commented on the next patch progression? Call me lazy, Im quite out of the loop here (talking about 19.1)

edit: just reading some comments about geforce tech. AMD user here, just keeping an eye and wondering if I will have to switch sides at some point 😁

So far nothing much for A19.1 other then it will be bug fixes as they are holding new features/models for A20. Which includes the Junk Drone and the rest of the HD Zombies.

As for when we are getting it the devs standard answer of "when it is done" applies.

4 minutes ago, danielspoa said:

thats exactly what Im looking for, they confirmed an issue I was having so just looking for the fix 😁

I'm personally hoping for the Ladder rework that one of the devs was working on to fix a lot of the bugs and improve player/zombie interaction with them.

18 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

We've got some serious "friendly competition" going on here. No wonder the entire land went up in flames and has been reduced to charcoal - both groups of firefighters were at each other's throats trying to win the right to who would put out the next fire. 🤣

7_Days_To_Die_2020-09-03_12_29_18_PM.thumb.png.7a081995a24be8e4140c57ab8dd9a9fa.png

LMAO Yep, looks like fire-gang warfare did it 🤣🚒 🔥👩‍🚒🔫👩‍🚒🔥 🚒

@faatali got a good question for you, would you guys ever consider a blueprint mode?  as in say we want to place down a drilling rig, drawbridge, or even a premade blueprint for a poi, just as examples, and you can place it and have a blue outline of said structure, and have it act as a container to put the resources in to build, once all resources are in, it generates.  It could be interesting for say an ore driller to place in a spot, not overpowered, made of junk and need a generator to run to dig in a set area, i was thinking about it with some games that lay out a blueprint and you slowly build it, could be interesting to implement.

On another note, in regards to vehicles in the future, are we only going to have drivable storage for vehicles, or are we going to have some utility vehicles as well?  Just curious lol

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yeah let me tell you, those two fire crews have been doing an outstanding job at keeping this town... safe. Best fire crews ever.

Best job ever... Fire crew of the year award 1st and 2nd...lol And that scary baby cry puts the sh*ts up me every time I hear it. I wonder if it was a poor soul caught in the.....wait for it.....crossFIRE! bumbum tishhhhh

59 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

We've got some serious "friendly competition" going on here. No wonder the entire land went up in flames and has been reduced to charcoal - both groups of firefighters were at each other's throats trying to win the right to who would put out the next fire. 🤣

7_Days_To_Die_2020-09-03_12_29_18_PM.thumb.png.7a081995a24be8e4140c57ab8dd9a9fa.png

THIS TOWN AN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE TWO OF US!

Also its in a burnt forest so that even more funny!

57 minutes ago, danielspoa said:

I didnt know about changes for the ladder, can u link or quickly explain it?
Im looking for the armor penetration fixes

Right now if you place a block and put a ladder on the side and right on top of the ladder put a railing it will break the zombie AI. As the moment a zombie touches the ladder it will be magically pushed up to the top of the ladder and get stuck trying to stand on top of it. Which the railing will block to effectively trap the zombie into a infinite loop and even prevent it from attacking.

Basically zombies have no clue what ladders are or how to move on them currently and the game fakes zombie ladder interaction with said magic pushing force. As a result one of the devs recently reprogramed ladders to allow zombies to better understand and move on them. Now once the rework is in zombies will be able to do everything players can do on ladders including moving sideways between ladders and will be better at attaching. No idea if they will understand the whole knock 2 runs off the bottom of ladder trick.

As the dev was also working on the zombie AI exploit he also made tweaks to improve how players interact with ladders. For example fixing the whole run and jump onto ladder only to fall to the ground instead bug. Also he made a lot of general quality of life improvements to them as well to make them work more consistently in general. So hopefully no more falling to your death due to your character forgetting to grab the ladder on your way into your mine shaft.

12 hours ago, Eko said:

Can't tell if youre being serious or not. If serious, huh? Can you please use a different analogy that makes a little more sense?

IF i understand what you are trying to say correctly then every zombie outside is smart and most inside are not?

"Smart"? I literally meant asleep. Those sleeper inside are even called that, "sleepers". Obviously a wandering dingleberry outside is NOT asleep and might therefore have a better chance hearing you than the sleeper inside.

If "sleeping" sounds too un-zombielike, lets call it hibernate instead. If zombies had no food for a while they might go into a low-energy state. Even a few zombie movies use this idea (while others use them as perpetual motion engine for unlimited energy)

-------------------

PS: The "philosphical" first sentence was a reference to a famous Philip K. D_ick novel the movie Blade Runner is based on.

1 hour ago, danielspoa said:

I didnt know about changes for the ladder, can u link or quickly explain it?
Im looking for the armor penetration fixes

These should be all the ladder related changed:

Fixed AI could not jump while on a ladder.
Fixed AI obstacle check was disabled on ladder if not climbing.
Improved AI ladder use (Use direct motion. Slow animation. Don't face if up or down motion. GetMoveToLocation, FindSupportingBlockPos, CanNavigatePath and zombie fall anims handle elevators).
Added path navigate can advance if near line of travel.

Changed ladder type blocks to only be climbable when vertical.

Fixed AI pathing not making horizontal ladder connections.
Fixed AI pathing making unneeded inside drop connections.
Fixed AI jumping from the top of ladders when blocked but no head room.

Fixed player jumping to a ladder block after having used a ladder would not attach unless jump was still pressed after entering the ladder block.
Fixed player or AI moving down from air to a ladder would fall 1m.
Fixed player moving down to ground while in a ladder block would keep you attached (slow).
Added player side stepping while on ladders.
Increased player horizontal move speed on ladders and running boosts.

Changed: Jumping conflicts with starting to climb a ladder (reworked air attach to attach at peak of jump and not care if jump still pressed).
Fixed holding jump after attaching to a ladder slowly slides you down.
Added players falling onto ladders will be slowed until they reach a reasonable speed to attach.

Fixed: Ladder rung above hay bale negates hay bale protection.

Archived