Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 hours ago, Eko said:

Its not just that if I'm trying to play a "stealth build" i've wasted a whole bunch of points in a skill that is basically useless and outdone by a myriad of other options. I mean that is extremely annoying in of itself....

Its also that if I've gotten most of the way through a POI and then encountered an "unstealthable" agro, I now have no choice but to whip out a louder, but more effective weapon - and risk waking a good portion of the rest of the sleepers. Otherwise, I can TRY and pick the agro'd sleeper(s) off with my silent bow and TRY not to step on any rubbish I forgot to painstakingly remove as I backpedal in stealth crouch while a @%$*#!ing wight wails on me in my padded armour that is clearly not built for such situations. 

OH BY THE WAY this is AFTER I spent 30 min clearing the rest of the POI, taking extra time to quietly destroy rubbish on the ground, tip-toeing around slowly, and taking extra time opening cupboards and drawers so as not to wake the entire house. 

SO at this point, I'm half clear of the POI, trying to find some pride in the fact that I made it this far on stealth skill, losing patience as I watch my HP go down and for what, I wonder? Because I know from experience playing other builds that I would have been done and dusted with this POI 25 minutes ago if I have had just gone in at a normal leisurely pace with my pistol... or, i dunno JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER WEAPON IN THE GAME. So yeah, us stealth lovers are a little butthurt that our favourite playstyle has not been taken into consideration as a "core build". I could build my dude exclusively around KNUCKLES and have an easier time. THAT is why we are complaining. 

Stealth isn't really a play style in this game and is instead little more then another tool in a players toolbox. Which can be used to safely deal with most but not all encounters in a low risk manner with very little cost of resources. Its not intended to work in all situations or to be better then the other tools outside its little niche where it excels. Which is at night in the dark and you need to quickly take out a tough enemy before it notices you in a cost effective low risk manner. Outside that situation the other tools in your toolbox will most certainly shine brighter as they are far more effective in a wider array of situations.

Basically instead of laser focusing on the stealth tools of Agility look at the other tools in its tool belt and make use of them. As you get the fastest attacks with the quickest reloads, the highest jumps with the longest falls, cheap but effective weapons with the cheapest ammo, and a dual purpose melee weapon that can stab your enemy and skin them for their meat afterwards.

4 hours ago, Eko said:

Its not just that if I'm trying to play a "stealth build" i've wasted a whole bunch of points in a skill that is basically useless and outdone by a myriad of other options. I mean that is extremely annoying in of itself....

Its also that if I've gotten most of the way through a POI and then encountered an "unstealthable" agro, I now have no choice but to whip out a louder, but more effective weapon - and risk waking a good portion of the rest of the sleepers. Otherwise, I can TRY and pick the agro'd sleeper(s) off with my silent bow and TRY not to step on any rubbish I forgot to painstakingly remove as I backpedal in stealth crouch while a @%$*#!ing wight wails on me in my padded armour that is clearly not built for such situations. 

OH BY THE WAY this is AFTER I spent 30 min clearing the rest of the POI, taking extra time to quietly destroy rubbish on the ground, tip-toeing around slowly, and taking extra time opening cupboards and drawers so as not to wake the entire house. 

SO at this point, I'm half clear of the POI, trying to find some pride in the fact that I made it this far on stealth skill, losing patience as I watch my HP go down and for what, I wonder? Because I know from experience playing other builds that I would have been done and dusted with this POI 25 minutes ago if I have had just gone in at a normal leisurely pace with my pistol... or, i dunno JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER WEAPON IN THE GAME. So yeah, us stealth lovers are a little butthurt that our favourite playstyle has not been taken into consideration as a "core build". I could build my dude exclusively around KNUCKLES and have an easier time. THAT is why we are complaining. 

Over react much?  You don't have to be noisy with an attack sleeper volume.  Use a silencer mod.

Also, what POIs are you concerned about?  I don't believe every POI uses attack volumes and when they do, i don't think they are setup to wake up the entire POI if you make noise killing them...

7 hours ago, Eko said:

Is audio occlusion under consideration for implementation? I, for one, find it quite immersion breaking and extremely distracting to have an angry Z beating down doors from the outside while I am trying to sneak around inside. As far as I am concerned, if the Zs in the same room as me can't detect me, there is no reason some wandering dingleberry outside should be able to detect meIf not, perhaps we could see about lowering the agro range of outside Z's vs inside ones? Does noise work on a sliding scale? As in, the closer the Z is, the more noticeable your noise? So if I was hacking away at some wood with an axe, it makes say 15 noise when there are no Z's around, but if one wandered within say 20m of me, the noise "volume" to the Z goes up to 30? Perhaps that could be tweaked if already existing, or added if not?

Do Zombies dream of brainy sheep?

Or less philosophical, do zombies sleep and does that impair their noise detection? If you answer yes and yes, you found a reason.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Use a silencer mod.

Have to find one or the schematic + crucible to make one first... Interesting how someone brings up an issue with lower gamestage stealth and you jump in with steel age, rng dependent, "solutions". Do you just CM them in when you decide you want to take a break from run & gun or something?

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

Have to find one or the schematic + crucible to make one first... Interesting how someone brings up an issue with lower gamestage stealth and you jump in with steel age, rng dependent, "solutions". Do you just CM them in when you decide you want to take a break from run & gun or something?

bow!

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

Is most likely already being used by Eko. It is the main weapon I use.

yeah i like to uses bows but i still think they could uses some love in both power and ability! like better aiming (come one! at least a form of sight! like a Stick, a Reflex sight or something!)

*COUGH COUGH AUTO CROSS COUGH COUGH* *COUGHZZZZZ*

40 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Good morning Hiemfire.  It was just an example.  No reason to be snarky.  :)  

Use a melee weapon, use barb wire, use your creativity.  Also, I didn't read anything about lower gamestage stealth in his response so not sure where you are getting that.  He even mentioned a wight which doesn't typically show up in lower game stages.  As mentioned by someone earlier, attack volumes are not unbeatable.

Edit: Also, let me know of any POI you have an issue with an attack volume and I will personally go check it out for you.  Apart from some loot room attack volumes, I haven't see any attack volumes that were not to difficult to handle silently.

Hi @faatal, remember what I said about NVIDIA discrete GPUs performing VRAM calculations twice as fast? Well, NOT exactly for the RTX3070 because it's only because of the GDDR6X memory and that card uses the previous generation slower one (GDDR6, still fast as ballz though, used by the 2080ti). Amd is on par in that regard too with HBM2e ( only in that regard, sadly).

Now, about using WAY less VRAM ( up to half less) , that one is true for RTX GPUs and  every single title that uses temporal antialiasing (TAA) by just selecting the DLSS 2.0 instead of TAA (I'm guessing that you just mark a square in the control panel and select the resolution intended and desired - ( near perfect 4k from 800×600 base resolution for example). 

That means exactly what it seems. By December 2022 7dtd can effectibly double the texture amount and any player with a RTX card ( GPUs from 2018 ) or higher will have theoretically no performance problems (  barring the issues within the game environment).

Edit: "texture amount" means Atlas size in this case I believe.

Imma go off now to get paid for sneaky advertising.

6 hours ago, rubens9311 said:

You will not be the reincarnation of Mahatma Gandhi? 
You have 10,000 hours on the internet to know how to detect spammers.
 If you want to help you say "Look at the minute" x "this boy solves your problem"
 Do you have your suit to go to court today? You are too correct.

WTF.....😂

54 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

yeah i like to uses bows but i still think they could uses some love in both power and ability! like better aiming (come one! at least a form of sight! like a Stick, a Reflex sight or something!)

*COUGH COUGH AUTO CROSS COUGH COUGH* *COUGHZZZZZ*

The compound bow aims fairly easily and there is a bow sight schematic I noticed when I typed bow into the crafting menu.

6 minutes ago, KennyBMallNinja said:

The compound bow aims fairly easily and there is a bow sight schematic I noticed when I typed bow into the crafting menu.

Are you sure it was a sight and not the arrow notch mod?

Sorry, Arrow Rest Mod - just checked. And it doesn't show up on any of the bows.

7 hours ago, Eko said:

I general use stealth as a play style but the dungeon style POIs don't really lend well to it. I rarely if ever enter the path I am supposed to go in but instead choose to ingress from other locations. This does cause zeds to spawn sometimes on top of me. However I find I rarely have to go loud in the early stages of the game. Usually I use a bow for the bonus damage against a sleeper, then toss a spear, and finish off with a sledge on most zombies. If it is more than one I usually kill them one at a time and try to dance around them. So I can keep fairly stealthy in most POIs. 

3 minutes ago, Reckis said:

Are you sure it was a sight and not the arrow notch mod?

I'll have to check later tonight working at the moment but I am fairly sure if looked like a sight but I could be mistaken.

11 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Good morning Hiemfire.  It was just an example.  No reason to be snarky.  :)

Hard not to be snarky when what seems to be the default replies to this issue are "Don't rely on it." (Effectively amounts to "don't bother" when you look at how many levels worth of perk points FTS and HS + attribute eat up for nothing more than the "situational mechanic" that the statement implies. Doubly irksome when you add in the devs and moderators ping ponging back in forth between "Don't solo spec" and "Just focus one spec".), "Use this high tier, high game stage, drop rng dependent combo." (That does exactly what for those of us who don't DM them in and are actually trying to play the game's GS/LS ages the way they're set up vanilla?), or "Use X weapon that you have to get lucky to find one of or find the parts for.". That all three of the above replies are completely dismissive in nature towards the observed issue makes my snark a very valid return.

Hopefully what Faatal suggested as an idea involving the auto aggro volumes several pages back (volume triggers waking the zombies up but there is a separate check for if they actually notice the player, if they don't notice the player they just wander around iirc) and audio occlusion from blocks (which madmole postulated as a possibility a few hundred pages back, that discussion was centered complaints involving bunkering underground but there is some with stealthing in POIs) get implemented.

Side note: When did one party member aggroing a zombie start flagging the entire party as engaged? Been trying some bait and ambush tactics in collaboration with my wife but I haven't been getting sneak attack bonus damage despite not being the one that aggroed and still being stealthed. Is it just a 2 phase toggle and once flipped to "alert" sneak attacks on that target are shut off?

7 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Hard not to be snarky when what seems to be the default replies to this issue are "Don't rely on it." (Effectively amounts to "don't bother" when you look at how many levels worth of perk points FTS and HS + attribute eat up for nothing more than the "situational mechanic" that the statement implies. Doubly irksome when you add in the devs and moderators ping ponging back in forth between "Don't solo spec" and "Just focus one spec".), "Use this high tier, high game stage, drop rng dependent combo." (That does exactly what for those of us who don't DM them in and are actually trying to play the game's GS/LS ages the way they're set up vanilla?), or "Use X weapon that you have to get lucky to find one of or find the parts for.". That all three of the above replies are completely dismissive in nature towards the observed issue makes my snark a very valid return.

Hopefully what Faatal suggested as an idea involving the auto aggro volumes several pages back (volume triggers waking the zombies up but there is a separate check for if they actually notice the player, if they don't notice the player they just wander around iirc) and audio occlusion from blocks (which madmole postulated as a possibility a few hundred pages back, that discussion was centered complaints involving bunkering underground but there is some with stealthing in POIs) get implemented.

Side note: When did one party member aggroing a zombie start flagging the entire party as engaged? Been trying some bait and ambush tactics in collaboration with my wife but I haven't been getting sneak attack bonus damage despite not being the one that aggroed and still being stealthed. Is it just a 2 phase toggle and once flipped to "alert" sneak attacks on that target are shut off?

Yeah i hear ya but thats alot of internalization, assumptions, drama that won't get you anywhere.  Instead of being snarky, try articulating your concerns instead (just like you did in this post).  I guarantee it will be more well received and potentially be improved by the devs.  :)

14 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah i hear ya but thats alot of internalization, assumptions, drama that won't get you anywhere.  Instead of being snarky, try articulating your concerns instead (just like you did in this post).  I guarantee it will be more well received and potentially be improved by the devs.  :)

That's usually how my initial posts on an issue are. The snark comes from them being answered with the usual "Don't bother", "You're doing it wrong", "Get this rng dependent high GS/LS item combo" type replies.

Other than the occasional blood soaked shield brother posts I do on an issue someone else brings up or brings back up.

5 hours ago, Orsey said:

Technically, following the logic, I proposed an option for the recipe for incendiary or explosive arrows/bolts to include a regular steel arrow/bolt instead of the materials (wood, plastic, steel tip) that a regular steel arrow / bolt is made of.

You did not read my post carefully, so your comment is inappropriate ;)

I dont think it was just you I was responding to but I cant remember at this point, doesn't seem like I had read your post before though. That or you're correct and I misread your post.

24 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I've been reading all hiemfire posts and he articulated most of them clearly.

He was definitely met with replies that minimize his concerns at best or at worst with condescending "hints" on how to play the game.

@hiemfire : FYI, you didn't make this up, I saw it too.

I think the stealth in general will get an overhaul once bandits are in the game, given they are living beings and not undead stealth will play more of a roll in the future im sure.

Since everything in this game seems to have 3 types, can we have a jackhammer and leave the auger for just soil, would throw a hilarious monkey wrench into the works for some people haha.

I wouldn't mind having an auto crossbow, would give the bow and arrow playstyle some much needed love in the future, im game for it.

I can't wait for there to be legendary weapons in the game, its going to make longer playthroughs for horders like me to have fun with haha.

11 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

Since everything in this game seems to have 3 types, can we have a jackhammer and leave the auger for just soil, would throw a hilarious monkey wrench into the works for some people haha.

That would be hilarious and even better would be making power tools take stamina to use as Madmole mentioned way back in the thread that he wants to do that. As a added kick in the pants have the Jackhammer suck big time when it encounters gravel.

Archived