Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

21 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

You know I really Hate the New Buried Treasure circle .. I never had this Problem before with the Red flashing box.

I feel like I'm digging half the forest Now .. and that ping just doesn't do a darn thing for  me. CAN we go back to the old system, please.

7_Days_to_Die_Screenshot_2020_08.31_-_16_27_40_77.png

Maybe because it was broken before and did not properly randomize the location with the area?

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Oh @#$&...

7_Days_To_Die_2020-09-01_9_13_07_AM.thumb.png.91ddc3034162a5fa2d716bc4456fd7bb.png

I just had this happen to me the other day while maneuvering to cheekily loot all of the good stuff atop a Shotgun Messiah Factory w/out having to clear the Zombies out first. Bounced off the top of the factory from above 40 blocks up while taking no damage, came to rest on the ground after falling another 30 blocks for 50 Damage to HP oddly enough.  

A couple of recipe ideas; 

Hand Sanitizer - 1xGrain Alcohol + 1xAloe Cream - Reduces the chance to contract dysentery or infection by 5% for 1 minute, effect doesn't stack. 

Wooden Shield/Iron Shield/Steel Shield Mod - Can only be equipped to Clubs, Spears, Hunting Knives, and Machetes. Replaces the Power Attack with a Block Attack option that transfers HP damage from hits on you into Durability damage for your weapon, with said damage being reduced by 5/15/25% for the type of shield used. 

16 minutes ago, SheeleMara said:

Hand Sanitizer - 1xGrain Alcohol + 1xAloe Cream - Reduces the chance to contract dysentery or infection by 5% for 1 minute, effect doesn't stack. 

Wooden Shield/Iron Shield/Steel Shield Mod - Can only be equipped to Clubs, Spears, Hunting Knives, and Machetes. Replaces the Power Attack with a Block Attack option that transfers HP damage from hits on you into Durability damage for your weapon, with said damage being reduced by 5/15/25% for the type of shield used. 

I get the Hand Sanitizer though it would need to be buffed a bit more and add water but imo I don't think shields would work in 7DtD current state. Besides it would require them to change combat again which I'm not sure they'd want to do again to soon. Not a terrible idea though I think they'd be better off adding an off hand system to fully implement it realistically. 🙂

With A20 they are planing on being weapon complete with the added tier 0 guns and hopefully more Intellect weapons. So we do not expect any major changes in regard to combat. That is other then the possibility of improved animations especially when active NPCs are added and a HD player rework.

2 hours ago, SheeleMara said:

I was actually just thinking of that the other day, grain alcohol should have some use baseline as a cure for some problem. I thought of hygene as one, just a regular infection bar or something where you lose hygene after getting hit by zombies, jumping in dirty water or doing anything dirty. Bad hygene increases infection rate, gives dyssentry after a certain amount, increases heal time of other issues or something.

2 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I was actually just thinking of that the other day, grain alcohol should have some use baseline as a cure for some problem. I thought of hygene as one, just a regular infection bar or something where you lose hygene after getting hit by zombies, jumping in dirty water or doing anything dirty. Bad hygene increases infection rate, gives dyssentry after a certain amount, increases heal time of other issues or something.

I read the first part of your comment as "hygiene" lol. "Sure, I'm just going to chug this glass of grain alcohol after every meal!" 😛

6 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

well, they tell you to disinfect a wound with alcohol. so if infection is under 1%?

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

well, they tell you ti disinfect a wound with alcohol. so if infection is under 1%?

Yeah thats what i initially though, but i think the infection is supposed to represent an internal infection that your body is already fighting, grain alcohol would be good to fight off a topical infection, which would be confusing so i thought hygiene could be a good alternative since dirty wounds get infected.

For that matter making soap out of fat, crysanthemum and goldenrod could be interesting, but as always there needs to be an excuse to add it. as it is i barely use medical items

6 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

The a19 treasure dig system is fine, don't revert to old. 

My only problem with it is that i never find treasure maps and the digging quests stop at t2 or 3. Of course id hate to deal with a t5 dig quest (dig out a shamway sized hole lol) but i could definitely use more treasure maps.

3 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

My only problem with it is that i never find treasure maps and the digging quests stop at t2 or 3. Of course id hate to deal with a t5 dig quest (dig out a shamway sized hole lol) but i could definitely use more treasure maps.

a t5 would be great, dont increase the size. as the circle gets smaller, more zombies show up and at the end... feral mini horde

3 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Funny, according to Joel the result is a mistake....

Well it sounds like one, but what he said is true now that I think about it. The game play is good, gathering what you need in the opposite biome but the drink choice is not intuitive. It would be better if it was some hot spicy thing that kept you warm.

4 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

I'm not spending an hour of my life on a spammer. Put the minutes where the treasure is or else I will think that you want to sell me your video. Get out of here !!

That's how thugtubers roll 😦

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

Well it sounds like one, but what he said is true now that I think about it. The game play is good, gathering what you need in the opposite biome but the drink choice is not intuitive. It would be better if it was some hot spicy thing that kept you warm.

Will there ever be a beverage that gives thermal resist? Gameplay is certainly good but maybe you could change it to like blueberry smoothie and yucca juice tea

3 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

That's how thugtubers roll 😦

Will there ever be a beverage that gives thermal resist? Gameplay is certainly good but maybe you could change it to like blueberry smoothie and yucca juice tea

Sorry if I was rude to some. But so much internet, so many social networks have managed to transform me into a devil when someone deceives me with their title or sells me something "secretly" :S

Can someone explain to me the logic behind the steel arrow recipes in the game?
There are three recipes for arrows / bolts:
- steel booms / bolts
- incendiary arrows / bolts
- explosive arrows / bolts

Why can't a character who has found a recipe for incendiary or explosive arrows / bolts know how to make regular steel arrows / bolts?
Logically, you first need to make a steel arrow / bolt and only then make a reinforced version of this (incendiary / explosive). Incendiary and Explosive Arrow / Bolt recipe has a steel tip.

Maybe it makes sense to add a steel arrow / bolt instead of a steel tip and plastic in the recipe for incendiary and explosive bolts?

Or maybe you should make it so that when learning recipes for Incendiary or Explosive Arrows / Bolts, the recipe for Normal Steel Arrows / Bolts is automatically learned? But in this case, incendiary and explosive variants should be made very rare.

Or, You can make a separate recipe for the steel head, and the player should be able to make steel arrows / bolts without a recipe, in this case it will solve the problem of logic.

Or is there some hidden logic that I couldn't find? 😁

I heard that random gen is going to be worked on for alpha 20, and I'd like to point out something that I've noticed after looking at map previews for hundreds of seeds (literally -- check https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1abSNz0_rsoDd-3AVp6SzxY-AF7eVjMfVNhIXN3X20/edit#gid=997179930 for a list of the seeds I generated on b180 alone).

There's a subtle issue impacting the quality of cities in random gen: a disconnect between block sizes and prefab dimensions.

Let me explain that with images. Take the following city, which is about as big as they can be in alpha 19 stable:

Mountains.thumb.png.f287f41b8a4cdc51926393e8217bebaa.png

The first thing to notice is how varied the size of each one is. Out of 356 prefabs, 195 do not share dimensions with any other prefab and 80 share it with only one other prefab. Only 38 prefabs share dimensions with more than four others. Note that this isn't about the size of building themselves, but about the "plot" the occupy, including green area.

More importantly, the dimensions of the prefabs do not take into account the actual available space inside a city. In alpha 19 stable each block is 120x120 of usable space unless a road is missing. The space between any two prefabs is 8m, so optimal non-wilderness prefab sizes are 24x24 and 56x56, but there's only one prefab with the first dimension and none with the second. On the other hand, the size shared by most prefabs is 25x25, which inevitably causes empty spaces.

In the case of downtown prefabs, it is even worse. Downtown is at most four blocks in size, but the skyscrapers, which are downtown-only, all exceed 56m in at least one dimension, as you can see here:

TwoSkyscrapersDownTown.png.7a57a40c8140e29ac86aa4deaef29a76.png

The Crack a Book is the only one of them that could fit side-by-side with another one equal to it.

Regardless, the disregard for optimal prefab sizes for cities result in a lot of empty space, like the industrial area of that city:

Industrial.png.bef21d4bf6d0f20956c842270e359a42.png

Unless random gen is made to make roads fit prefab placement, one of the most important things to improve random gen cities is to make prefab dimensions and block sizes a better fit for each other.

PS: I'm only talking about x and z dimensions, not y. Height isn't relevant here. I also sorted x and z before making these statistics, so x,?,z was considered the same size as z,??,x.

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

a t5 would be great, dont increase the size. as the circle gets smaller, more zombies show up and at the end... feral mini horde

Randomizing the horde(s) would be a good thing.  It's a little predictable that the instant you open the chest a horde spawns. 

There's already a trigger somewhere in the code that detects you digging close to the chest.  Rig one of those up to a randomised horde spawner and you'll have to pay a hell of a lot more attention when digging. 

My only problem with the new treasure hunt mechanic is that it's far too easy.

51 minutes ago, madmole said:

At the risk of planting ideas that should never be voiced...

Anything but Pumpkin-Spice-Latte!  🙂

43 minutes ago, Orsey said:

Can someone explain to me the logic behind the steel arrow recipes in the game?
There are three recipes for arrows / bolts:
- steel booms / bolts
- incendiary arrows / bolts
- explosive arrows / bolts

Why can't a character who has found a recipe for incendiary or explosive arrows / bolts know how to make regular steel arrows / bolts?
Logically, you first need to make a steel arrow / bolt and only then make a reinforced version of this (incendiary / explosive). Incendiary and Explosive Arrow / Bolt recipe has a steel tip.

Maybe it makes sense to add a steel arrow / bolt instead of a steel tip and plastic in the recipe for incendiary and explosive bolts?

Or maybe you should make it so that when learning recipes for Incendiary or Explosive Arrows / Bolts, the recipe for Normal Steel Arrows / Bolts is automatically learned? But in this case, incendiary and explosive variants should be made very rare.

Or is there some hidden logic that I couldn't find? 😁

The fine threadwork or correct adhesive used to attach bodkin or broadhead is significantly different than wrapping flammable wadding around a practice arrow or gaffa-taping a grenade to a twig?

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived