Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

9 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

When it comes to the gyrocopter, when i go to land i nosedive where i am going, just before i hit the ground i hit the e key, no damage to me and gyro lands well enough for takeoff haha

Is a crash that you can walk away from and takeoff afterwards really a crash?

2 hours ago, fragtzack said:

Day 36, still no Steel Tools schematic. 

--rude

Hello Goodnight! You may not be interested but I'll tell you:

Day 158 for me, I found it in a file cabinet of those that sometimes are open and sometimes not. (Days 60 min / loot 50%)

Until now I had only found a lvl 1 steel shovel and a lvl 3 steel pick.

Having registered 3 crack a book of the greats and several of the crack a book boys (giant map) xD

1 hour ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

When it comes to the gyrocopter, when i go to land i nosedive where i am going, just before i hit the ground i hit the e key, no damage to me and gyro lands well enough for takeoff haha

It's exactly what I do and it works perfect.
 That's why I laughed at the one that said above "Gyrocopter is sh*t" haha

19 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

You know I really Hate the New Buried Treasure circle .. I never had this Problem before with the Red flashing box.

I feel like I'm digging half the forest Now .. and that ping just doesn't do a darn thing for  me. CAN we go back to the old system, please.

7_Days_to_Die_Screenshot_2020_08.31_-_16_27_40_77.png

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Seriously though, anyone know if Apache artifact chests that contain Taza's stone axe exist in random generated worlds?  I know they used to be. 

I spent like a full day going through my desert area and I did not see anything that looked like the native american monument thing or the caves they used to be in. 

I do not mind wasting a lot of time looking for it, but it would be cool if someone could look and see if they actually spawn, so that I do not waste my play time looking for something that does not exist, heh. 

1 hour ago, gpcstargate said:

You know I really Hate the New Buried Treasure circle .. I never had this Problem before with the Red flashing box.

I feel like I'm digging half the forest Now .. and that ping just doesn't do a darn thing for  me. CAN we go back to the old system, please.

7_Days_to_Die_Screenshot_2020_08.31_-_16_27_40_77.png

Make 4 wood frames and place each one on the edge of the circle to create a square like shape around the circle. Then dig until the circle shrinks for the first time and look at how far the circle moved from the 4 reference frames. Which will tell you the general direction of the chest since it will be the end that moved the least. Now dig in that direction and wait for it shrink again and that should allow you to narrow it down even more.

Note this only works well on the Tier 1 Buried Supply quests as the circle is smallest for them as the bigger the circle the harder it is to narrow it down.

2 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

It looks like you're starting by digging straight down.  Here's what I do: bisect the circle by digging a trench one block deep, say north-south. Then start a trench perpendicular to that, east-west. When the circle starts shrinking continue digging the "top soil" focusing on the quadrant that's closer to the centre of the circle. Once the circle has reduced enough, then start digging deeper.

5 hours ago, pregnable said:

Seriously though, anyone know if Apache artifact chests that contain Taza's stone axe exist in random generated worlds?  I know they used to be. 

I spent like a full day going through my desert area and I did not see anything that looked like the native american monument thing or the caves they used to be in. 

I do not mind wasting a lot of time looking for it, but it would be cool if someone could look and see if they actually spawn, so that I do not waste my play time looking for something that does not exist, heh. 

If you look at all the jpgs in Data/Prefabs you will see 3 likely candidate pois called "cave04", "cave05" and "indian_burial_ground_01". Now go into the folder where your world data is stored. There is a file prefabs.xml with all POIs included in your world with coordinates. Just search for above names and check out their coordinates. If they are not listed, they don't exist in your world

On 8/30/2020 at 1:36 AM, wolfbain5 said:

question, why does the smoothie... made with ice... give hypothermal resist <resistance to cold>, instead of hyperthermal resist <resistance to heat>? we have coffee to resist cold with.

That was the design. The thing you find in the desert gives you cold resistance so you have to travel some.

3 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That was the design. The thing you find in the desert gives you cold resistance so you have to travel some.

and the snow you find in the snow biome for heat resistance. you would still have to travel some. and as it stands, we have 3 food/drinks for cold resist, and none for heat.

and yes, you can get snow from an ice machine in the desert, but you can also get yucca and yucca seeds in the snow biome from poi's.

45 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If you look at all the jpgs in Data/Prefabs you will see 3 likely candidate pois called "cave04", "cave05" and "indian_burial_ground_01". Now go into the folder where your world data is stored. There is a file prefabs.xml with all POIs included in your world with coordinates. Just search for above names and check out their coordinates. If they are not listed, they don't exist in your world

Can also press the teleport POI button and check that list.

@madmole
Hey Madmole, first of all - let me say that I'm really enjoying A19; the rebalancing, HD upgrades, new weapons, shiny new & fancy POIs and so on... the game has transformed in awesome ways since I started in A11!  Keep up the great work... it's worth the wait.

Now, I thought I'd mention something I've recently discovered (it's pretty niche / obscure, and I haven't found anything on this when searching the forums):  my mother plays 7 Days a ton, and she loves it. Her preferred playstyle is without enemy spawns enabled; exploring / upgrading / mining / etc.
She has run into three specific issues / quirks relating to playing with enemies off:

1) Tier 4 / 5 Quests are not offered with enemy spawns off

- in Quests.xml the fetch-only quests are currently commented out, leaving only clear / clear & fetch T4/5 quests available. It seems the game automatically prevents these from being offered (subbing lower-tier quests instead) with enemies off, so using the setting = no Tier 4 or 5 quests appearing in the list.

2) Wolves spawn regardless of enemy spawns being disabled

- In entitygroups.xml wolves are separately included as 'wildlife' (under "WildGameForest") in addition to enemy spawns ("EnemyAnimalsForest"), so they spawn either way.

3) Buried Supplies quests still spawn the suprise ambush wave of zombies with spawns disabled
   - In Quests.xml the Buried Supplies quests have "hard-coded" spawns that ignore the 'no enemies' setting.

I've been able to remedy all of these cases for her via editing the XML, but I figured since it's likely that very few people play 7DTD without enemies, it may have slipped under the radar.  :)

These don't necessarily seem to be bugs, as it all looks intentional in the code, but I expect the side effects for those playing without enemies are unintended (of course, that group must be <1%, but I thought it was worth the mention).

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Thanks. 

If those are the only ones that have it, my world only has 1 POI for a potential Taza's stone axe, which is the indian burial grounds, lel. 

I guess I should give up. 

58 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'm not disagreeing, just answering your question on the why.

understood, and thank you

from a game balance point of view,

1. we have a perk that accommodates both equally under the fort tree

2. we have equal number of mods for both temp extremes

3. we have clothing for both temp extremes.

it seems the temperature buff was removed from the stews. an interesting choice.

4. we have 3 drinks for cold, 0 for heat. this is an imbalance, favoring cold terrain

only a suggestion, but an ice cold smoothie being swapped over to the heat resist would bring better balance.

I already modded this for myself, so it is not a game breaker or anything, but it is my suggestion. and as a t3 recipe, it is already behind the coffees

7 hours ago, pregnable said:

I found a cabin recently that had a hidden mountain man chest in the floor. They only had a couple herbal antibiotics in them though.

6 hours ago, Gazz said:

Oh I see, great "gamey" design : a hot boiled yucca smoothie just in case we get the chills.

May I suggest a warm homemade soup that grows inside the dead animal skulls?

Or an eco minibike that runs on murky water?

No, wait, this is genious : bring back death from falling trees and create a critical injury named "impaled by sharp stick while food poisoned from looking at the clock".

My suggestions are on par with your comment. 

Edit: you might have to travel some to get the soup, no kidding.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived